Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did take the Honley RX3 (250 Chinese pos) for it’s MOT.
It passed with no advisory’s, that’s not surprising as I’ve only done a 100 miles on it in a year.

The journey to and from the MOT station was interesting.
The wind nearly caught me out a few times and the rain was pants.
However I now have a bike ready for the new season Thumbs Up yay! Smile

Taking the Hyosung GT250r for it’s MOT tomorrow, I just hope the weather is a little bit kinder than it was today.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Taking the Hyosung GT250r for it’s MOT tomorrow, I just hope the weather is a little bit kinder than it was today.

Aaaagh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Hyosung for it’s MOT today, it passed with no advisory’s.
Yay me! , I’ve got my favourite bike ready for the new season Thumbs Up

Tomorrow it’s the car’s turn to go to the garage.
Bikes and cars are costing me a fortune Shocked .

EDIT: took the car into a local independent garage today.
I got a quick service at a very reasonable price Smile , very pleased, and when my car needs work doing on it , I’ll give them my business again Thumbs Up .

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project Scrappy Hyosung, the saga continues.

MotoGB again have not been helpful in that they only have spares for certain models of Hyosung, ie not mine Sad
However they did point me in the right direction (Startrite)

The Hyosung 125 is being collected on Saturday for someone who is much more knowledgeable than me to diagnose/give it the once over.
That will give me a better view/understanding of what is needed.
Modern electronics are a fugking pain in the arris!

I can then get on Thumbs Up Smile

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the clutch on my R1150R this week. In the process, discovered that my transmission input shaft has been auguring out the the clutch hub splines like an old fashioned orange juicer on a fat valencia. A well known manufacturing defect that afflicts many (but not all) of the vintage BMW oilheads. Installed an aftermarket clutch plate with +6mm on the hub splines; that'll keep the input shaft at bay for another 50,000 miles or so (knock on wood).

Hydraulic slave cylinder was full of muck, so that had to be replaced. Pivot pin bearings that connect the final drive to the swing arm are brinelled into the race. Fun upon fun.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the trials of trying to jump start the Rebel after being left for weeks in one of the lockdowns I went out and bought a "smart" charger for the XSR. Finally got round to fitting the battery fly-lead Smile

After that I fitted a dash cam to the wife's car. All the cable nicely tucked away down the pillar, power direct from an aux in the fuse panel. Nice and tidy Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white bullshit descended, and is still doing so.

Locks all got WD40'd to get any water out so they can't freeze again. Warmed the Viffer up to half on the temp gauge or she would be more difficult to start in the morning as it was sodding cold yesterday as well. Salted the path out as while I was at it, and if it carries on I'll pop the fairings off, just in case I do slide it up the road. Once on the main road (200 yards or so) then we're gritted properly as it's a main route to the Industrial Estate.

Once inside I stripped and cleaned the 125's spare CV carb. Still haven't found a manifold to let me mound a straight roundslide instead of the CV. Had a look at my jet selection as I have a "big bore" 149cc kit, I saw it going cheap on FaceAche, the same price as a normal piston, and the one in it is coked up to fuck. Reckon the idle needs to go up (won't start without all the choke, no matter the temp), and think the main is already rich, so may not need to go up much if at all. I'm still learning about carbs though, so that my just be imagined horseshit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank fitted, with new fuel line and inline filter.

FIRST RIDE on the project bike! Just up and down the road. Never shifted beyond second gear, but it was a great feeling anyway. I wanted to record it with my action camera, but the battery was dead.
Anyway, it's a noisy thing but I think it could be fun. Starts first kick, runs like clockwork. Mechanically, very sound.

I know I need to torque-up and lockwasher-down the front sprocket, and the same with the rear sprocket bolts and brake disc (front). The side stand spring needs refitting, and I need to source a new rear brake light switch activation spring, plus actually mount the rear lights, indicators and shortened mudguard. Everything else is in place. First impressions: the shocks are too soft and the front brake is absolute crap. A toddler's tricycle probably has a stronger front brake than the cable-operated gizmo on this bike. I have a spare hydraulic caliper from a different bike, and I'll have to think of something in due course.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the turd-looking baffle, and now I'm exhausted!

Might see if I can drill the remaining rivet out over time and invent a nut / bolt combo making it removeable, but since its a tight fit I'm not sure how feasible putting it back in is.

Happy me, unhappy locals. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/BZP9XQTZ/baffle.jpg

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mine, hers.

But today i fitted new battery, drained carbs, removed tank, changed plugs, cleaned petcock and refitted the tank and the result .... ..... her 1993 CB400SuperFour is now super again.

Starts on the button and idles beautifully and with almost no choke required. Saved her 400 quid of garage labour and random carb pieces.

Feeling faintly smug and it sounds brilliant.

Now it's me doing the maintenance, this time i'll store it with the carbs drained and the fuel tap off.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rode it, cleaned it

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 29 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the CBR, and it kicked into life immediately on the choke, let it idle at 2000 rpm for a minute then switched the choke off, switched the fuel tap to off and let it drain the float bowls.

Desperation. Can't be arsed riding until the weather picks up a bit.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the worst weather experience I've encountered in a long time, I realised my tacho backlight was blown.

I went to change it today but both the blown tacho backlight and the speedo backlight were 12v.

So changed both to 6v 3w and not only do I match but they are brighter too.

Also disconnected rear brake light switch as it's a bit sticky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderRat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:48 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at mine, again. Bought a snotter to rat before the first lockdown then when lockdown hit i got busy with work so that took a back burner. Since bought a larger van to convert to camper so busy with that but gingers crossed snotter will be back on the road this summer. Got the parts just not the time. Did consider paying someone at the start of winter to get it MOT ready but then, where is the fun in that.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a bit conscious that when the bike has panniers and box on, it's a bit of a large black mass with a tiny tail light and reflector the size of a postage stamp, so I had a sheet of reflective material (high grade red stuff they use on warning signs on A-roads etc.) and cut some strips to mark out the outer edges of the panniers. Likewise affixed a strip of white reflective material to the front of the panniers so they should reflect and be visible to oncoming cars that might otherwise assume from a single headlight that I'm virtually 2-dimensional in size.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project bike coming along. This project has turned out to be a "preservation" rather than a "restoration". The tail end of the bike, originally, was all supported by the chromed mudguard. While this looked great, you could push a hole in that mudguard with just your finger, as the steel was so badly corroded. I therefore removed the mudguard and saved a portion of it (a section of good steel). This will eventually go back on the bike.

In the spirit of keeping away from the cult of Ebay cafe racer-ism, I left the frame unaltered, and did not fit a hoop. I decided to keep the original indicators and rear light. The original tail assembly had been mounted directly onto the rotten mudguard, and that's no longer feasible to do, so I came up with the following solution: mounting it directly to the subframe, using the steel indicator stalks to hold it in place. This involved taking the rear light mount, cutting off the mudguard mounting section, and welding on a section of angle iron which I'd curved in at both ends, and drilling holes in both ends so that they're exactly 170mm apart. Simoniz Underguard Black, as usual, because it's awesome.

It's all wired up, it works and is very robust. The bike will no longer have a grab handle. The seat foam may be slimmed down. The remains of the original mudguard will be fitted next, and then a new black-and-silver vintage number plate.

https://i.ibb.co/M6pRRsX/tail-collage.png

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:30 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd it and ordered a new pair of tyres to be fitted on Friday. Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:

Would you mind letting us know the brand and how you get with them Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Project bike coming along. This project has turned out to be a "preservation" rather than a "restoration". The tail end of the bike, originally, was all supported by the chromed mudguard. While this looked great, you could push a hole in that mudguard with just your finger, as the steel was so badly corroded. I therefore removed the mudguard and saved a portion of it (a section of good steel). This will eventually go back on the bike.

In the spirit of keeping away from the cult of Ebay cafe racer-ism, I left the frame unaltered, and did not fit a hoop. I decided to keep the original indicators and rear light. The original tail assembly had been mounted directly onto the rotten mudguard, and that's no longer feasible to do, so I came up with the following solution: mounting it directly to the subframe, using the steel indicator stalks to hold it in place. This involved taking the rear light mount, cutting off the mudguard mounting section, and welding on a section of angle iron which I'd curved in at both ends, and drilling holes in both ends so that they're exactly 170mm apart. Simoniz Underguard Black, as usual, because it's awesome.

It's all wired up, it works and is very robust. The bike will no longer have a grab handle. The seat foam may be slimmed down. The remains of the original mudguard will be fitted next, and then a new black-and-silver vintage number plate.

https://i.ibb.co/M6pRRsX/tail-collage.png

Z200?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Z200?

Yes. The number plate on its way to me isn't the right colour for the year, but as it's allowed anyway, I'm just planning on having a little fun with this bike. "Shabby chic" is the effect I was after, although the bike probably says "hipster w*nker" instead. Laughing

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:55 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to MOT the DR650 but found it would not start and no lighting...

https://puu.sh/HePC7.jpg

Found it had a bunch of bad connections, a patched loom at some point in its life that was disintegrating as I unwrapped it.. Fun times.

A lot of time later, got lighting and starter back. But now chasing down dead sidelight. I have a feeling im only really scratching the surface with the electrical bodges on this thing Thumbs Down

https://puu.sh/HePC9.jpg

Saving up to throw a YSS shock in it as oem one is 30yrs old and blown out. Swing arm will need blasting at the same time. New carb body on the way due to mushed out mixture screw.

MOT'd the divvy at the same time and got a pass.

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:21 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucked it down the road in the snow and ice this morning
(good job I'm a dithering git on a fagped)

I commute on a Honda Vision 110 broke the corner off the foot plate nothing a bit of gaffer tape wont fix

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

growler wrote:
chucked it down the road in the snow and ice this morning
(good job I'm a dithering git on a fagped)

I commute on a Honda Vision 110 broke the corner off the foot plate nothing a bit of gaffer tape wont fix

sorry to hear that. when ive been forced to ride in the snow, its the dangerous car drivers that kept me worried.
idiots trying to overtake, then losing control of their vehicles beside you, is no fun Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:21 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
martin734 wrote:

Would you mind letting us know the brand and how you get with them Thumbs Up

Here you go. https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=332178

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Hindle exhaust, rear sets and a Rapid Bike Evo piggyback ECU.

Should be roughly +10 ponies and -6kg

https://i.ibb.co/0G1f9g1/IMG-20210204-131421-923.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/xFjQ3nQ/IMG-20210204-131358-533.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 398 of 409