Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 402, 403, 404 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:18 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put straight bars back on Blackbird, Had ride, when got back put new nose cone on, put short levers back on, changed all fairing bolts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a dab of black paint on the rear rim of the RC8, tiny bits of damage pre-emptively coated to prevent them getting any worse.

Huge dobs of black paint on the CBRs front and rear rims, it's almost done 60K miles so covering big gashes is to be expected.

Greased and adjusted the CBRs headstock bearings, had been feeling a little bit of looseness on the bumpier stuff.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pads for the RSV as track day at Bedford Aerodrome today!!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed it with the "help" of the sproglet today. Scrubs up well for an old lass.
https://i.imgur.com/NfJGmf9l.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of Hondas, the CBR1000F wasn't starting again so my father-in-law had the tank off expecting more carb fettling. "Hold up! Let's see if we even have a spark."

And no, two plugs had weak if not absent spark. Cleaned and re-gapped the plugs and started pretty much straight away (once I remembered to put the choke on!)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Shepherds Bush and back, through town (sorta).
Traffic was surprisingly light, I only got out of order once ( Shifty ) and the Snarley was admired by a nice looking young chap on an MV Augusta.

*mwah*

Oh yeah, and I finally got round to trying on some of the assortment of leather jackets that belong to [I-don't-even-remember-who-anymore] in my hallway cupboard. One of them was quite big, even for me, but comfortable enough to ride around in. I'm well chuffed. Its proper skin-saving leather. I even had on steelies, I actually felt almost well protected (for me).

Laughing

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT picked up some slop in the rear suspension, so treated it to some new bearings. Sockets and a G-Clamp worked well for the bearing on the swingarm, but the shock bearing was a bit more prone to slipping. Some cursing was required... Think I'll just take it all off and use a vice next time around

Proper back-yard mechanic sticking the upside-down foot pegs on axle stands Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/p5AJVTu.jpeg

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly fell off it.

https://i.imgur.com/oy9jhmB.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/2D3LfiK.jpg?1

60mph left hand bend, instant deflation. Chucked me out of the seat and on to the wrong side of the road.

No idea what I hit but at least some of it is still in the cavity.

This one has shaken me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
This one has shaken me.

Jesus christ, that ad take some doing. Only sense I can make of that is something got wedged in there and hit a mudguard that then forced it in - perhaps in the matter of a few seconds given speed - hence the bulge?

Unsure what one of your bikes that was, but eBay breakers should have wheels / tyres complete for not very much to get it back on the road quickly if you need a fast turnaround and are on a budget. Thumbs Up

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Jesus christ, that ad take some doing. Only sense I can make of that is something got wedged in there and hit a mudguard that then forced it in - perhaps in the matter of a few seconds given speed - hence the bulge?

Unsure what one of your bikes that was, but eBay breakers should have wheels / tyres complete for not very much to get it back on the road quickly if you need a fast turnaround and are on a budget. Thumbs Up

Hugger is carbon, it would have smashed to pieces. Luckily I have a wheel/tyre spare in the shed.

Need to change my pants before I change the tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both had a walk up to the spot where the wheel deflated l, couldn't see a thing on the road.

The only thing I could see was a chunk of metal plate that was on the side of the road, but nothing blatantly obvious that would have caused that damage to the wheel.

Luckily, Fisty was OK, albeit a bit shaken.

Recovery turned up 45 minutes later, bike and owner got home safe.

A bit of a crap end to an otherwise pretty good ride down to Cheddar Gorge and back.

ಠ_ಠ

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
This one has shaken me.

Shocked

Looks like a rock or something hefty. Good job there was nothing coming in the other direction.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to ding both wheels on the strumpet but.i know what I hit (similar to a brick) cause I saw it before I hit it and the bike managed airtime.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS. Shocked
Wot are you like?

Wub
Glad to see fate has decided to let you stay.
I'd have to stand on a chair to kiss the top of your head.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Frankenstein's creation in vehicle form, it can today be confirmed.

Why, you ask?

Oh, I broke it by pressing the stater button. Rolling Eyes

No, but yeah. Rode to work and was relatively okay. Slight vibration on the left, but I thought that was just the plastic inner fairing panel that's broken vibrating. Before that I thought the Denali horn was the cause (wedged inbetween the radiator and engine bar), but in either case the vibration wasn't excessive or alarming.

Started the bike after finishing work and it sounded woeful. Vibrating like hell on the left hand side, sounded internal and terminal (from the head). Plug leads were all on okay, and I knew the plugs were tight. Figured it may be coil related, but since it started and revved fine without any performance or running issues I rode home without much fuss. I rode home wondering how much I could strip off it before scrapping it and loved the idea (because I get to tinker). Laughing

Then when I got home I had a look on the left side of the bike to see what it could be: radiator was fine... oh... oh but that's not. Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/vTskHgyJ/20210405-214513.jpg

So the story with this one is that the shop that sold me the bike allowed it to leave the workshop with what is clearly a monkies attempt at fixing the aftermarket exhuast pipes to the engine block.

After taking delivery (sometime late last year now) I noticed after a few rides that the exhaust collars were a bodge, and got them to weld the two outter ones up as they were bent and had cracks / splits in.

& Now that weld has rusted away on the left hand side, and looks bad on the right.

So my plan of action is to see if my local shop can weld the collar back together and use some better bolts to create a tighter fit, or if I should buy a brand new aftermarket downpipe and exhaust gaskets and try to replace it myself.

The plus side is that it looks like the exhaust downpipes can be removed without the radiator being touched, so that saves money.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the rear brake switch with a handily perfectly sized (number plate holder?) insert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Why, you ask?

The plus side is that it looks like the exhaust downpipes can be removed without the radiator being touched, so that saves money.

Time for the shiny shiny.
https://delkevic.co.uk/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-98-03-stainless-steel4-1-exhaust-downpipes-and-collector.html

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Surprisingly it does already have a set of aftermarket pipes on, but whoever fitted them was an absolute lemon. Every collet is mounted in completely the wrong way (nut, washer, collet, nut?), and I believe there all mounted differently.

I was hoping I could just buy a new collet, but quickly realised why I couldn't.

Given that this is the state of the far outside right one (below) I have indeed opted to just buy a set of Delkevic pipes (spotted beforehand, but many thanks for the link) and get them installed properly by the local shop.

https://i.postimg.cc/52SZxH5c/20210405-214527.jpg

I'm hoping the woeful mounting has vibrated itself loose so it saves me on labour costs. The one that was broke certainly had finger tight nuts.

I purchased it with Quidco (some cashback), and I should be able to flog the current set on to re-coup some money so its not a complete loss; one hopes.

Didn't buy an end can because the set was £279 and I'd rather save the extra for the labour cost, but can't imagine a different end can and link pipe should effect anything (might re-fit the unbaffled Remus)?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ full fitting kit included with the headers, get your hands dirty.
The nuts/bolts look like they might come out first attempt.

Six sided socket, give them a bit of a shock with a hammer and see what happens.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
^ full fitting kit included with the headers, get your hands dirty.
The nuts/bolts look like they might come out first attempt.

Six sided socket, give them a bit of a shock with a hammer and see what happens.

The can of worms one could uncover half way through a job like this on a twenty plus year old bike where previous mechanics have clearly monkied their efforts is a little beyond what I'm willing to dig into on this one, and so I'll opt to pay for convenience. Thumbs Up

Update whenever there is one. Karma Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I think someone ran out of gas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Poor weld job, you mean?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
recman wrote:

Poor weld job, you mean?

Yes, lack of shielding gas makes for a porous weld.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatted up the parts guy in Warrs Laughing ... just to keep me hand in whilst he was rinsing my credit card Crying or Very sad

They're all so *young*
Rolling Eyes

Then rode home with my new drive belt hung over my shoulder bandolier stylee, cos the box was too big for my rucksack.
*whistles theme tune from Indiana Jones*

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Why, you ask?

No, but yeah. Rode to work and was relatively okay. Slight vibration on the left, but I thought that was just the plastic inner fairing panel that's broken vibrating. Before that I thought the Denali horn was the cause (wedged inbetween the radiator and engine bar), but in either case the vibration wasn't excessive or alarming.

Started the bike after finishing work and it sounded woeful. Vibrating like hell on the left hand side, sounded internal and terminal (from the head). Plug leads were all on okay, and I knew the plugs were tight. Figured it may be coil related, but since it started and revved fine without any performance or running issues I rode home without much fuss. I rode home wondering how much I could strip off it before scrapping it and loved the idea (because I get to tinker). Laughing

Then when I got home I had a look on the left side of the bike to see what it could be: radiator was fine... oh... oh but that's not. Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/vTskHgyJ/20210405-214513.jpg

So the story with this one is that the shop that sold me the bike allowed it to leave the workshop with what is clearly a monkies attempt at fixing the aftermarket exhuast pipes to the engine block.

After taking delivery (sometime late last year now) I noticed after a few rides that the exhaust collars were a bodge, and got them to weld the two outter ones up as they were bent and had cracks / splits in.

& Now that weld has rusted away on the left hand side, and looks bad on the right.

So my plan of action is to see if my local shop can weld the collar back together and use some better bolts to create a tighter fit, or if I should buy a brand new aftermarket downpipe and exhaust gaskets and try to replace it myself.

At a guess, I'd say that the pipes were for a different year or model and the collars didn't fit the exhaust bolt spacings. Looks like they have removed the original stainless steel collars from the stock exhaust then cut and bent them to fit over the new pipes then made a gash attempt at re-welding them with mild steel wire.

I dunno what's going on with the nuts and washers either side of the clamping collars but I expect it to be a bit of a horror story for whomever has the job of fitting the new pipes.

If you were near to me in kent I'd offer to sort that all out for you because you've been dealt a shitty hand with that mess.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 402, 403, 404 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 403 of 409