Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 403, 404, 405 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
At a guess, I'd say that the pipes were for a different year or model and the collars didn't fit the exhaust bolt spacings. Looks like they have removed the original stainless steel collars from the stock exhaust then cut and bent them to fit over the new pipes then made a gash attempt at re-welding them with mild steel wire.

I dunno what's going on with the nuts and washers either side of the clamping collars but I expect it to be a bit of a horror story for whomever has the job of fitting the new pipes.

If you were near to me in kent I'd offer to sort that all out for you because you've been dealt a shitty hand with that mess.

I did wonder holding the snapped piece of collar in my hand if it was original. Something seemed odd about it. Thinking

The side that's given way wasn't that bad when it first arrived:

https://i.postimg.cc/TP4XPRYR/20200815-095308.jpg

The other side (most outer right one sitting on bike facing forward), however, was a horror show (and it surpsingly still in tact, with a hole in for good measure):

This is why I asked the shop I purchased the bike from to weld them up to prevent any future issues, and beyond that wasn't really expecting any trouble. I was never bothered it was a bodge, just wanted to save on hassle further down the line. Rolling Eyes

To be clear they sent the bike out like this to use.

https://i.postimg.cc/fbF6NBBy/20200822-115202.jpg

The good news is that all of the outer bolts have been loosened by me, but tightened up a little so the exhaust isn't hanging. So long as the studs aren't bent then I don't think there should be a great deal for the local shop to have to deal with (famous last words).

Its a poo show: that much I know and agree with. A job done by a right Rodney in the past. Laughing

The new pipes should be here tomorrow; at which point I can pop down my local and leave it with them. I'm happy to pay to have it done right since I plan to own the Fazer long term, but I think anything beyond two hours labour may be my limit on this one as to what its really worth before going D.I.Y so may talk it over before I hand over the keys.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-sealed the airbox on the teenager's Mito. There's a mod that releases a bit more power and it needs to be properly sealed to work, but it wasn't and now it is and apparently it makes a bit of difference so that's good news.

We've also got new tyres on it as well now, we've gone for Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - I have them on the Monster and they're great so am looking forwarded to scrubbing them in..!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bike but I did the oil/filter, air filter, new battery, fix gear linkage on the old Skoda. Supposedly the brakes needed doing but there's at least 8mm of material left on the pads Thinking Which was handy as I had the wrong ones anyway!

As to bikes it was such a nice afternoon we had a look at the CB400F front brake. I met a nice fella with a Moto Guzzi at Box Hill the other day who suggested the floating calliper arm might seize and he was spot on! All cleaned up and moving freely again.

Tomorrow I shall be making up some AN-3 steel braided pipes and maybe have another look at the carb jetting.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and took it to someone for valve clearances. There's a definite ticking from rear right cylinder confirmed with the screwdriver test, and she's on 119K miles now. l bought a shim pack for the job from China. Checked with a calibrated .001mm micrometer (work has some perks), and they're really good, all 145 of them are within .01mm and most within .005mm.

I just don't have anywhere to do it, and don't fancy my valve covers being open while I piss about with them. doing 16 of them is likely to cheese me off anyway. I'll pick her up Monday evening.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local dealer couldn't fit me in until the week after next, and since I had a free few hours and basically every tool I needed I decided to have a go at swapping the exhaust headers over. I'm grateful for the help they give, but last night I used the bus for the first time in a while and encountered a man that decided to get on without paying... then refuse to pay, and sat down for about ten minutes... and then walked off when he lost the stand off with the driver. I don't have the tolerance for other people in this world. Laughing

The standard exhaust came off with little fuss, and the only horror I encountered underneath was that one of the inner ports has previously been "repaired (most likely when someone removed the O.E.M pipes for the ones they fitted after)."

https://i.postimg.cc/nM8ZqWT9/20210409-145750.jpg

Fitting the new one, however, took me longer than I'd hoped: first I realised I could probably do with some friends as attempting to install the gasket, offer the headers up and then locate the flange with only two hands is rather tricky... but I got there; and then the connecting box decided it didn't want to line up with the headers.

In the end I had to pry one of the downpipes away from the other on the L/H side to get it to line up with the holes on the connector piece as they were slightly too close together.

I used silicone sealant that came in the box. I probably should have used it on the header pipes into the engine but didn't (flame me). Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/YCR0wpbX/20210409-162512.jpg

Shiny. Thumbs Up

https://i.postimg.cc/zXmVC2yk/20210409-162544.jpg

I bagged a delkevic can on the cheap from a breaker, but I'm not sure if I should return it or not.

The rivets at the bottom of the exhaust are mostly non-existent, so when you attempt to wiggle the link pipe out the exhaust starts to separate with it. In the end I just tapped it back in with a hammer and fitted it as is.

I do like that it has a gasket inside, though: nice touch (yes I did fit the rubber probably on the strap post photo).

https://i.postimg.cc/SNypbc3h/20210409-164429.jpg

I started it to ensure it was all tight, and it looks fine. I think you're supposed to wait for the sealant to cure so didn't go for a ride, but even if warming the pipes up has caused a problem I'll just disconnect the box and apply some more.

I've a little bit more fiddling to do but for two (maybe three) hours work as D.I.Y'er I'm calling this a successful episode.

Sorry for dominating the last one or two pages of this thread. Thumbs Up Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivets are cheap, so are rivet guns. Probably 3.2mm diameter. Thumbs Up

https://www.screwfix.com/p/arrow-rivet-kit-9-232mm/858jf

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the Kawasaki on trickle charge today, oh whoopy do!

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Busa:-

Took the bent wheel and fucked tyre off. Could find nothing inside it.

Fitted a spare wheel/tyre and while I was in there new bearings and cush drive rubbers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike back from Valve clearances. At the tighter end, but in spec. Pics provided of process without asking for them. Bloke was amazed at the 119K miles and that it's unlikely the valves have been looked at since the 32K service.

This means I (probably) have a leaky rear exhaust manifold or buggered gasket in said manifold.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to cheddar and didn't crap myself whilst mullahing a wheel on the way back.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the RC8 for a dyno tune to iron out the lumpy fuel and ignition tables. Took it on the trailer so didn't get chance to test ride it.

Will try and give it a whirl one night this week, it's the low speed stuff that meant it needed doing as it was hunting on partial throttle, making it awkward and requiring a good dose of clutch hand to smooth out the power delivery.

Should see little bit more top end power, and better fuel economy, which will increase the tank range.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:00 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much what I have done to it, but what some stupid myopic bint in a fooking huge Mitsubishi pickup did to it. Mad Stupid cow turned straight across the front of me at a junction. Luckily it was only a glancing blow and I was able to keep the bike upright and stop safely. Still shook the hell out of me, I really though it was going to hurt a lot. Thankfully, damage not too bad on the bike, I think her pickup is going to cost more to repair than than my bike.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Not so much what I have done to it, but what some stupid myopic bint in a fooking huge Mitsubishi pickup did to it. Mad Stupid cow turned straight across the front of me at a junction. Luckily it was only a glancing blow and I was able to keep the bike upright and stop safely. Still shook the hell out of me, I really though it was going to hurt a lot. Thankfully, damage not too bad on the bike, I think her pickup is going to cost more to repair than than my bike.

congrats on keeping it upright Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new indicator and mirror after dopey cow smashed them last Sunday, cleaned it, fitted new grips and took it for a ride, all happy again. Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn BCFers ...

IF we had bothered to do a Spill Counter ...

Would Martin's mishap have been able to be included in it?

Last edited by hellkat on 15:07 - 15 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, having basically ignored my bike for almost a week now ...

I have just booked it in for a ULEZ test, including re-jetting
*splutter, bank manager, grumble*
Fucking expensive old tractor Laughing

At least once its approved, I can hang out in the West End again and be a Harley Wanker Cool

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the evening polishing the teenagers' Mito after a rattle can paint and lacquer job after his minor mishap. 3m Trizact 6000 to start, Scholl s20 to buff up and then it'll get polished and waxed at the weekend.

I've got to replace the sprocket shaft seal as that currently drips onto the chain then gets sprayed all over the back wheel and tyre but that will have to wait until the bits turn up...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Took the RC8 for a dyno tune to iron out the lumpy fuel and ignition tables. Took it on the trailer so didn't get chance to test ride it.

Will try and give it a whirl one night this week, it's the low speed stuff that meant it needed doing as it was hunting on partial throttle, making it awkward and requiring a good dose of clutch hand to smooth out the power delivery.

Should see little bit more top end power, and better fuel economy, which will increase the tank range.

DIFFERENT.FUCKING.BIKE.

5hrs in the seat says it for sure, but 3 seconds in I could tell. It's docile at low rpms and buttery smooth, nice linear power delivery. I think tank range is higher also as I can cruise in a higher gear with no hunting around trying to adjust fuel every second.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:03 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

New set of tyres on the 690 SMCR

https://i.imgur.com/ZceduZu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yOTklXI.jpg

Went and bought a 1290R

https://i.imgur.com/54mxwvc.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracked exhaust leak down. Swore at it's location, then proceeded to swear at rusty threads, managed to chase thread with a stainless bolt with much swearing interspersed between chasing and backing it off. Slapped MipaTherm hi temp paint on most of system afterwards.
https://i.imgur.com/jYfC9bhl.jpg
De-crapped, rust treated and painted subframe, then ordered a powdercoated subframe I spotted, and the shock will get swapped out while I have it off. I can then repair and modify this one, given I fancy changing the seat unit.
Rerouted wiring for the camera and Reg/Rec.
Cleaned up centre portion of rear disc and painted that.
https://i.imgur.com/Tg8eocIl.jpg?1

Next week will be plugs, HT leads, caps. In theory. Mainly because I'm not 20 any more and my back is fecking ruined after that lot.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:33 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
As for me, having basically ignored my bike for almost a week now ...

I have just booked it in for a ULEZ test, including re-jetting
*splutter, bank manager, grumble*
Fucking expensive old tractor Laughing

At least once its approved, I can hang out in the West End again and be a Harley Wanker Cool

E3? Riverside put a cat in my exhaust to get it under the threshold (200 ponds moar thankyouplease) and ever since its burning through gaskets every 6 months. Tempted to take it off and put another straight through pipe on, now that i have a nice squiggly graph certificate

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:54 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanded, treated and painted over the scabbing rust on the Dr650 frame.
https://puu.sh/HzfPv.jpg

Pulled the swingarm and linkage bearings, a few seized, most of them past their best.
https://puu.sh/HzfPm.jpg

Still fighting the last parts of the swingarm to come apart, you can see where the chain has eaten some of it too, the guide was completely worn through. Blasting and painting on the cards.
https://puu.sh/HzfPt.jpg

Picked up a new YSS unit to throw in when I get to rebuilding
https://puu.sh/HzfPo.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did rear plugs. Then found none of my solutions can get into the front plugs, and someone's "borrowed" the OEM tool. ordered a 16mm thinwall with a hex and a 1/2" drive.
Found the plug caps sold to me are wrong, despite being assured they were 100% guaranteed, absolutely are the right part, after saying they looked far too short. They get chucked back at the bike shop tomorrow.
Test ride - bike was initially fine, then it didn't want to rev, then it died completely, even with choke. Fires back up after a minute or two, but just repeats. Thankfully I was only 5 minutes pushing from home.

Feels like fuel starvation. Fuel is in the filter (before pump) but really CBA dealing with it and my back is reminding me again that I'm not 20, so i'll piss around tomorrow after work and use the filter as a coupler. Bike will run without one, but you lose the bottom third of the tanks capacity. given the age and mileage it's just shee bad luck it shat the bed while doing other stuff. Hell, I may have taken it out bumping stuff around getting the rear fairings off over the last couple of days. Assuming it is the problem I get to choose if I go OEM (£££), Chinese copy, a Facet setup and DIY it, or rebuild the OEM pump with new points etc.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came home via the scenic route (i.e., got "a bit lost" in the backwoods of Wiltshire but kinda knew where I was).

And then decided to go the M25, yuk squared.
I usually come through town. Most people would find that a nightmare but for some reason, I prefer it.

Might've menaced some vacuous queuers on the approach to the Blackwall T Shifty

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I came home via the scenic route (i.e., got "a bit lost" in the backwoods of Wiltshire but kinda knew where I was).

And then decided to go the M25, yuk squared.
I usually come through town. Most people would find that a nightmare but for some reason, I prefer it.

Might've menaced some vacuous queuers on the approach to the Blackwall T Shifty

If you are coming through town perhaps it's the uneven road surfaces?

Fnaar Fnaaar...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 403, 404, 405 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 404 of 409