Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have been tempted to mount them to the existing indicator stalks with a hose clip type arrangement, drill and then run the wiring inside.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I'd have been tempted to mount them to the existing indicator stalks with a hose clip type arrangement, drill and then run the wiring inside.

Funny you should suggest that - just what I now have in mind with some p-clips on the indy stalks. Wiring will pass inside nicely.
Ta!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered fitting daytime running lights myself. The thing that put me off, is that some say that they distract people from seeing your indicators.Any opinions on this? With a bit of fiddling/relays etc, it could be arranged that the DRLs would be switched off when indicating Thoughts?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
I considered fitting daytime running lights myself. The thing that put me off, is that some say that they distract people from seeing your indicators.Any opinions on this? With a bit of fiddling/relays etc, it could be arranged that the DRLs would be switched off when indicating Thoughts?

My grom has daytime running lights (both headlight and front indicators are on) and I seem to have experienced a higher number of people pulling out in front of me. If I approach a roundabout people seem to think I am coming off at the first left rather than going over and had to suddenly stop. Im not sure if that is due to extra lights, tiny bike or people are just turnips. Possibly all three?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:
Any opinions on this?

It's like people who ride around with full beams on, if blinding other motorists (particularly bikers) makes you feel safer then go ahead.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:58 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

neptune8 wrote:

Good idea neptune8. I've repositioned mine now, next to the headlight. The indicators on my bike are the nice large classic ones and quite bright. However, I'll be doing a mod later with relays to ensure that when I indicate the DRLs that side will go out. When I do that, I'll position the DRLs next to the indicators for showing good width
Pics later with the current layout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:20 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of want, although I do accept the argument that going too bright is counter-productive as it makes other road users look away from you rather than staying focussed for long enough to judge your closing speed.

I'm now more of a fan of strips of LEDs to give a larger area of non-dazzling light.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the speed triple I was on the end of my tippy toes when trying to touch the floor, so last night I shaved the riders seat area maybe 10mm and as much off the sides I felt I could (the padding around the sides and front of the seat is not very thick).

I tested it half way through and I could get the balls of my feet down, which is an improvment. Downside being that it put more pressure on my actual balls than what I remember. So that's when I trimmed the front and sides.

Havnt tried the finished product but it's re covered and ready to go back on.

Still waiting on the plastics to come back from painters, he's had them since late November and said he'd do them over Christmas. Will have to pop down and see what's going on.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at her with sorrowful eyes and with a tear drop forming in my bloodshot peepers, I turned away and got in my car.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
However, I'll be doing a mod later with relays to ensure that when I indicate the DRLs that side will go out. When I do that, I'll position the DRLs next to the indicators for showing good width

So cars will think you're flashing them out? Clapping

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better for now and checking with the DRLs and indicators going, the indicators show up quite well. Plans afoot for relays to convert to the DRLs on each side going off while the indicators are in use, a bit like some Audis and Mercs etc. (I have noticed that cars which do not extinguish the DRLs while indicating do not display the indicators very well, esp the ones with VERY bright DRLs) Then I can mount them under the indicators to give the impression of the width (handy for splitting the traffic queues lol)

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with cycle lights they are going to blind and annoy other drivers. Drivers that are normally hesitant will instinctively pull out on you. If I saw you oncoming on a country lane at night, good chance you'd be getting high beam.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Petemate wrote:
However, I'll be doing a mod later with relays to ensure that when I indicate the DRLs that side will go out. When I do that, I'll position the DRLs next to the indicators for showing good width

So cars will think you're flashing them out? Clapping

No - the DRL on the side that the indicator is operating will not be flashing, it will be off as on cars with the same arrangement.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:00 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
As with cycle lights they are going to blind and annoy other drivers. Drivers that are normally hesitant will instinctively pull out on you. If I saw you oncoming on a country lane at night, good chance you'd be getting high beam.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that these are DAY running lights, and they are off when I am riding at night. I have them wired through a relay so that when the light switch is moved to the headlight position, they go off (the same arrangement as with factory fitted DRLs on newer cars) My headlight although H4 is a miserly 35/35 and in the daytime is not very bright. At night however it is enough for the small amount of night riding which I do.
HTH!
Pete

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:17 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
No - the DRL on the side that the indicator is operating will not be flashing, it will be off as on cars with the same arrangement.

You misunderstand me, when you go to indicate the light goes out, when you cancel the indicators they come back on right? So if you quickly change lane and a cars waiting at a junction what will that look like?

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Petemate wrote:

You misunderstand me, when you go to indicate the light goes out, when you cancel the indicators they come back on right? So if you quickly change lane and a cars waiting at a junction what will that look like?

Good point M.C. but I am not in the habit of quickly changing lanes/indicating near junctions! Also, the scenario of DRLs looking like they are flashing when coming back on applies equally to the modern cars. I don't interpret that as flashing.
Point noted though in the grand scheme of self-preservation.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Gave myself a workout and put it on the centrestand.
- Clean and lubed chain.
- Give the discs a wipe down with cleaner.
- Removed some paint of the bar end.

.. And finally time to sit down. :deflated:

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the final stage of preparing the CBF1000 for continued bashing of mileage commuting into town every day.

Before New Year it was rear wheel bearings and rear pads replaced.

Last week was 80,000 mile service with 5 of the valves needing adjustment with new shims. As well as the usual oil and filter change I noticed that Honda managed to lubricate most of the pivot points I'm too lazy to fight with. For instance the centre stand is back to smooth operation where it was noticeably reluctant to fold away last time I used it.

They reported front pads as 99% worn, but I told them to leave those as I wanted to check and clean the calipers myself.

So that was today's task. Left side caliper did indeed have very worn pads, but there was a fair amount of meat left on the right. Both sides got replaced with new EBC Double H which I find have the best balance of wear and grip.

Upon examination and cleaning I found all the pistons were moving freely and there were no naughty seal lips poking out. I think the anodizing on these calipers is excellent so you don't get corrosion pushing the seals out from behind.

I suspect the different wear rates of the two sides is down to the funny linked braking system. The rear brake pedal also operates the center of the 3 pistons on the front right hand side. (Which really messed with my head the first time I changed pads on this bike. I thought it was seized and was anticipating a full caliper strip before I tried pressing the rear pedal and found it moved easily.) This I guess means that when you haul on just the front brake the left caliper gets the pressure of all 3 pistons whereas the right only gets to move 2.

In town I tend to use the rear brake a lot so I'm a little surprised that the wear on the front right hadn't kept up with the left. And despite some folk disliking the linked brakes I really rate them. Never let me down despite me using them like a ham-fisted cretin on multiple occasions.

Back to normal operations tomorrow after 3 days on the loan NC750S from the bike shop. I quite bonded with the NC this time. Its mix of practicality and character in town was quite appealing. But it can't hold a candle to the CBF1000 on a freezing cold motorway. That's where the big ugly bastard really shines.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a new pressure washer this weekend so had at it Smile bikes looked bloody good for what they are and i was feeling good.

waited overnight for the fuckers to dry properly and then gave one of them a good coating of ACF as its the daily motorway hack. Left that overnight to set after wiping off the excess ACF

queue this morning. I wheel the bike out of the garage onto the drive (sloped). Close garage door... lid and gloves on. swing my leg over and oh shit oh shit oh shit... Shocked Shocked Shocked

It wasn't in gear, as i usually leave it in to stop this very thing. Down the hill we went, smack into the garage door, but upright. No biggie, possibly just a small dent in the door. No my hands weren't on the grips... stupid feking muffs combined with ultra panic at the time compounded the issue

I get off to have a look at the same time my side stand decides it doesn't want to be a side stand anymore and folds in.. bike goes down and catapults me onto the neighbours grass. a rolly polly later and im looking at this sorry little bike on the ground Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
80,000 mile service with 5 of the valves needing adjustment with new shims [by a Honda dealer]

Zoinks. How much did all that set you back? At that sort of mileage, I'd be looking for reasons to chop a bike in for a fresher model.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpe2002 wrote:
Mr. Bean storyboard 4.2

No cctv for £250 from you've been framed?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Sadly not but it would have been worth a watch Laughing i've come to see the funny side now after a few hours. Was in a proper stress this morning on the way to work

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF 50'd the bike. Was feeling a bit guilty about leaving it so late, but it looks like it's going to snow tomorrow so I'm claiming perfect timing Dance!

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After swapping the CG engine for an unknown ebay one, I think I'm getting used to the surprise 4-3-2-1-N gearbox config (neutral and 4 down). Who needs a 5th anyway? And now it's racing config. Cool.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 228 of 409