Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:24 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the carbs. Jesus christ what a faff! I know it's always slower when doing something for the first time but 3+ hours? Starting with the tank off? And why is there no damn room to get at anything inside the frame? Evil or Very Mad How I long for a garage with a light (and maybe even some heat).

Found 4 of the 8 screws holding the float bowls on were seized so had to cut a slot in the top and get a long screwdriver on them. Fucked if I'm going to replace the screws at this point, they still work and they will get proper replacements when I am marginally less irate at the bike and when it can prove it deserves them (by surviving the petrol polluted oil trip)

Tomorrow is an oil change (and filter if it arrives and if it stops snowing... Confused) and cleaning the float bowls after having a quick look without gloves today, but with no way to start the bike (new float needles aren't due till Monday) means I'll be stuck with free time and no way to tell if the bike has been fixed.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfrowne wrote:
After swapping the CG engine for an unknown ebay one, I think I'm getting used to the surprise 4-3-2-1-N gearbox config (neutral and 4 down). Who needs a 5th anyway? And now it's racing config. Cool.

That's a nice surprise IMO. I know unknown but any idea what year the engine was?

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C - yeah it livens things up a bit, a nice change. It seems a teensy bit stronger than the old engine (which had a Chinese barrel and piston kit) so I'm happy. Not sure on the year, I remember seeing that someone thought there was a model for the jap market that had this config + it has a tacho drive. Could be Chinese engine with a Honda clutch cover, it has a strange engine code with stars in it, don't know why Honda would do that.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:18 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a few days of riding with my nice new DRLs in operation, I can report that other road users seem to be more aware of my presence. The lamps are now mounted next to the headlight, and a member of my family has advised that they are not blinding as on some cars but very noticeable on approach. Also ATM, there is no confusion with the indicators, which are very visible. Once my new relays and flasher units arrive in about a week I will revamp the system and report back.
Thanks everyone for all the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road it to Ace Cafe in fairly moist conditions. Enjoyed catching up with SE crew and nibbling on some excellent sausage.

Return journey didn't end well, as the mighty SVbusa decided that 50k miles was enough. Lost power in outside lane of A3, blue and white smoke out the exhaust.
Hobbled into lane 1, clutch in and the engine cut out.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170115%20-%20SVbusa%20Death/20170115_140728.resized_zpsgut4lia4.jpg

Where she proceeded to bleed out while I waited for recovery truck.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170115%20-%20SVbusa%20Death/20170115_140614.resized_zpsr9hz9h4t.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170115%20-%20SVbusa%20Death/20170115_133957.resized_zpsgneiyvcn.jpg

At home, it looked like the oil was leaking out the back of the front cylinder, but I couldn't see. Lifted the fuel tank and the underside was coated in oil. There was oil on the top of the airbox.

Inside the airbox
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170115%20-%20SVbusa%20Death/20170115_164927.resized_zpsnvbt8wca.jpg

Dropped the oil, had some water in it.
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170115%20-%20SVbusa%20Death/20170115_171841.resized_zps8hngnafo.jpg

BCF can rejoice, another SV is dead Smile

......possibly. Am naively hopeful that a new head gasket will be all that's required.....

EDIT: Actually, there wasn't much water in that oil. Might re-direct this to the workshop.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New shoes in the Rear drum, "massaged" the exhaust to give clearance under footpeg and rear brake, tidied up exhaust fitting, removed orange fluff from nasty downpipe that's started rusting 2 months in, added a stopper on the centre stand as the original has gone walkies, anti-corrosion applied to fluffy orange spots.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the chain a quick clean and lube.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about the 2 in the garage and then thought I like the idea of a mt-10 in replace of them both Thinking

thing is the triumph has pretty much sat in the garage since buying it in November. I havnt even had the plastics back from being repainted.

I may have a problem.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KTMTony
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck the trickle charger on. Pulled out the hid kit as it's stopped working. Bad connection I think. Got another ballast and bulb to try.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:42 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday:
Drained oil and changed filter. Shortened fuel pipes and hooked it up to make sure I hadn't messed up the carbs to much. Finally started, so I suppose I haven't killed it entirely Dance!

Today:
Drained Fuel and removed tank (again), drained coolant, removed the 50 odd pipes, tubes, cables ect that run across the top of the engine and removed the valve cover.

Set valve clearances - had a total nightmare to access the lock nuts and had to remove the oil lines (dropping the securing screw into the engine on one occasion - thank christ of the extendable magnet stick) with the exhaust valve end on cylinder 1 needing pulled out totally before it would re-seat properly, so I know where I am going if I end up with an oil leak!.
Clearances were waaay too tight, not sure what but I couldn't even get the feeler below the mid-range one into the gap Shocked.

Spent 30+ minutes trying to dislodge several small stones that had fallen into the spark plug recess and that I knew with certainty will fall into the engine when I change the plugs next week.
Cleaned (sort of) the coolant tube bits that go through the rocker cover.

The end is in sight! Reattach throttle+choke cables, flush and fill with new coolant, fit new fuel lines to tank, top up oil, run to check for leaks, refresh oil and then maybe I can ride the damn thing!

What I wouldn't give for a garage or even a tarp to work under when it is raining.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
SV death

Bummer to hear Mr Pidge.

I did notice vague wisps of blue smoke on start up when we did Lille. But I figured it may have just been a bit of settled oil residue in the cylinder.

Make sure you have a good look at the cylinder wall when the head's off!

(P.S. Hope you're well! 'Sbeen a while.)

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 08:21 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger, post mortem/resurrection thread is needed though.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Am probably deluded, but I believe the SV will live. It's the Top Gear HiLux of BCF Laughing

Need to fix my Striple first (in bits due to electrical issues).

Currently commuting on XR250R with knobblies and quite short gearing.
Cornering, accelerating and braking are a non-optional extra.

On the plus side, I can now straightline ALL roundabouts and go WOT over speed bumps. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Pigeon on 23:55 - 17 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Currently commuting on XR250R with knobblies and quite short gearing.
Cornering, accelerating and braking are an optional extra.

On the plus side, I can now straightline ALL roundabouts and go WOT over speed bumps. Thumbs Up

Laughing I loved standing up on the pegs and flying over road humps.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is not how you oil a chain, trying to drown it? 20 squirts from a squirty can is all that is required.

How did the scottoiler shit itself?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
What the fuck have you done? that is not how you oil a chain Laughing

His swingarm's held together by cable ties. I dare to say this isn't someone who cares much for the way things should be done.

I ponder why I do pre ride checks when the roads I use are shared with people that have vehicles in such a state as this.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:56 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Thanks guys. Am probably deluded, but I believe the SV will live. It's the Top Gear HiLux of BCF Laughing

Anything can be fixed. If you can't fix it, you can pay a man who can. But some things are more economical when broken up and sold in parts. Sorry about your bike. I think it's kaput.

Just out of interest, what servicing did you have done on the bike? Did you have the big one at 30-35K?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, I'm only on my second can of chain lube in my biking 'career'. I know you're hardcore and northern, but used engine oil's carcinogenic, just so you know Wink

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Sorry about your bike. I think it's kaput.

Just out of interest, what servicing did you have done on the bike? Did you have the big one at 30-35K?

Thanks Tawny.

Am not aware of a big one at 30-35k.

I bought the bike at 38k in March 2014 and checked the valves which were on the limit, so re-shimmed them. Replaced the air-filter, oil filter, plugs, coolant, battery and reg/rec that was buggered. Replaced the brake lines with braided ones and resprung it front/rear last year.

Oil change every 3k miles and filter change every 6k

Went bang at 51k

I did however overfill it with oil over the summer to the tune of about 250ml.

But to be honest, the engine has sounded like a bag of nails since day1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cngv0X2VRz4
I was just eager to buy the cheapest hack that was close to me as switching between 10bhp commuter during the week and 100bhp at weekends was giving me the hump at that time. So the SV was to replace my commuter.

She had 9 owners before me, a fair bit of corrosion and things which were wrong + signs of being unloved. I should have walked away and bought something else, but don't regret it. Smile
Cost me £450 on top of what I got for my Chinese 125 and that was 13k miles ago. Not terrible, but am hoping there is life left.

Going to check the inside of the rad for anything. Will remove the plugs and see what they look like. Then try turning the engine over by hand just to see if it feels any different.
If it does, then the heads are coming off and go from there. If it does turn over by hand ok, then I'll take the carbs off and give them a damn good clean then see if she starts....

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:52 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Christ, I'm only on my second can of chain lube in my biking 'career'. I know you're hardcore and northern, but used engine oil's carcinogenic, just so you know Wink

I often just use old engine oil on the chain. Certainly on bikes used all year round

All the best

Katy

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did make the ignition work on the new cg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 229 of 409