Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bothers me immensely.

https://s20.postimg.org/mfxkggaml/Screenshot_2017-06-08_at_14.09.05.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
baffle in - mot today Confused

passed no advisories Dance!

Jiving Joe
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Ha yeah one of the previous owner did the tape

Might have to take if off now wheel tape is naff.

brakes are good thou Whistle

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much, just fitted some V-Trec levers.

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/3663/xKlwu2.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/2451/9BaIQY.jpg

I will get out on it tomorrow and see how they feel, they look very nicely made and less floppy than the standards (which weren't bad).

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash, blow dry, polish, chain clean and lube, rode it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug + air-filter change on XR250

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a metzler roadtec 01 rear to the cbr6.

Before this I had a racetec part worn. The centre only had 3mm and got 3k miles out of it. Id suggest a new one might get 6k I dont know how much they start with...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismantled the couch in the garage and took it to the tip, which created enough space in the garage to actually work on the bike. So I cleaned and oiled the chain, checked the tyre pressure and acf'd it.

Must get electricity in there next, and a light would be helpful.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror + indicator replaced on XR after bouncing it off the dirt and tarmac a few times today.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really the weekends work:

rebuilt rear caliper (including dremeling one of the sliding pins into something approaching smoothness) with new seals.

Replaced chain and sprockets (first time with riveting a chain - not so hard, assuming rivets don't fail on dual carriageway).

Removed battery, positive power lead and starter relay for sanding and cleaning.

Put it all back together.

Turns out the bottom of the mounting point on the chain guard had broken off. Since a new one costs north of £70 (Shocked) I rebuilt this one out of cable ties and a bit of plastic lying around from when a careless car driver hit the wall near where I park Razz

https://thumb.ibb.co/nxAcna/IMG_20170612_203444317.jpg

It's (surprisingly) not total shit. quite pleased with it Thumbs Up

EDIT: oh and put on a radiator guard from a breakers.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mourned my bike.

Yes, i am still very much indulging in my own pity party, it will pass. Rolling Eyes

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Started taking the 990 to bits to see why the brake light wasn't working, found the wires both snapped at the butt of the bulb holder Rolling Eyes Bit annoying as I can't find any for sale and an R&G tail tidy might not work with my exhausts.

Got a rear brake light wiring loom (£19) from the dealer, so fitted that today and copper greased the bolts as I put everything back together. Working on my Japanese DRZ to the Euro KTM it is painfully obvious how much better thought out Jap bikes are, much better quailty metal on the DRZ also. But I'll skip over the Suzuki frame rust, KTM seem to have decent paint at least Embarassed

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the FJ for the MoT,which passed with no advisories Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20170610_122127_zpstorvmw8y.jpg

Although a Cat C write-off,the MoT tester said that after several MoT passes then the bike is removed as a write -off.Not sure how true this is Question

Always have a 'Plan B'

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Although a Cat C write-off,the MoT tester said that after several MoT passes then the bike is removed as a write -off.Not sure how true this is Question

Not heard that one, I call...
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/3/34/Bullshit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101009140746

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT successfully passed with no advisories, went out for a ride around afterwards in the sunny sun Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripped the loom apart - crimped, heatshrunk and sealed with 'malgy tape, the metric fuckton of bodge jobs (wrapped ends, cable ties, poundshop insulting tape) by a PO, she now starts after almost 2 weeks off the road.
Oil and filter change.
Sorted the floppy indicator.
Put fan on a switched relay, I suspect the thermistor is fucked and I'm not paying that kind of money for one.
Changed uber-dim headlamp for LED that gives a decent beam pattern that won't blind oncoming traffic.
Removed "brush guards".
Removed heat wrap from exhaust, it's nasty, unneeded, and a fucking 125 not a nitro drag bike.

Chain tension and lube.

Oh, and fried to a fucking crisp in the sun. It was a good day.

Pads tomorrow I reckon, there's plenty of meat on the ones in both ends, but I have a suspicion they're contaminated... the YBR stopped better.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-put new clutch cable on (cleaned out all the gunk out from behind the level Sick )

-Half drained coolant and removed themostat and test it in a pan of boiling water (it works)

-removed the fan switch plug, grounded it on the engine to test fan (also works)

So now I know that the prime suspect for the tendency to run hot on hot days in traffic (I have read the gauge shouldn't get much over half). Next step is work out if the fan is cutting in at all.

- filled up the coolant and then ran the engine with the pressure cap on Evil or Very Mad guess I get to pull the fairing and the tank *again* tomorrow.

- Fitted new starter relay

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed a new rear tyre on the Pan, which turned out to be far more work and expense than normal over the last couple of days.

To remove the axle, you have to displace one of the exhaust cans. But this time, after I loosened it and gently rotated it to break the seal, I had the ominous crack. At the end of the downpipe, where the clamp goes over the slitted end to connect the can, two of the bits of slitted pipe rusted off (looking at the rust in the break, it had been going for a while and definitely wasn't me being too gorilla like). I knew that that area of the exhaust wasn't in great condition so no major surprise, but it meant that the can can't go back on easily. If it was a case of slapping it on and hopefully never having to touch it again, I'd have considered doing a baked bean can and putty bodge as it is all held rigidly - but a back tyre only does about 7-10,000 miles so I need to remove it three or four times a year. It might have been possible to get it welded, but then I start hitting the time/effort tradeoff as I don't have a welder so would need to find someone to do it. It's on my list of things I should buy, but a thin, rusty exhaust whilst under time pressure probably isn't the ideal way to start learning to weld. A few days messing around without the bike costs me more in time/money/aggravation than just sorting it out so I decided to replace.

Luckily (!) I'd done this on Wednesday night to drop off the wheel to my tyre place on Thursday. That meant I could get new headers ordered for delivery on Friday - when I normally only work the morning and work from home so would be in for the delivery and with a clear run in the afternoon. Removing all the plastics is always good fun - though it gave me the opportunity to do a few other niggly jobs that I put off because of the effort involved (cleaning up some cable runs, adding a run for some auxiliary lighting, replacing some fasteners where the previous owner had butchered their heads or that had rusted in place).

Luckily the headers came off cleanly, so no nightmare scenario of having to remove broken studs, and everything went back together pretty easily - though annoyingly the new headers only came with two copper gaskets not four. That was sorted out with a phone call and the missing ones arrived Saturday morning, but I couldn't reassemble on Friday. Instead, I played at being a Harley owner, and sat in front of the telly on Friday night going over the end cans with chrome cleaner to get all the areas I normally miss because they are on the bike.

All back together yesterday, and a quick shakedown ride showed all is well again - albeit close to £400 lighter in the wallet (including the tyre).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
So I cleaned and oiled the chain, checked the tyre pressure and acf'd it.

Why use ACF in summer? Surely all you're going to achieve is that it will collect a layer of dust and grit?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
So I cleaned and oiled the chain, checked the tyre pressure and acf'd it.

Why use ACF in summer? Surely all you're going to achieve is that it will collect a layer of dust and grit?

https://i.imgflip.com/qr1cz.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/qr1cz.jpg

You know nothing, M.C
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

took advantage of this fantastic weather to replace the 15 year old tyres with fresh rubber and give the ol girl a good wash n wax

new motobatt fitted along with avon roadriders (stupid 18inch rear wheel limiting choice).
I also fitted a jet kit to help it run better after using pod filters.

It cleaned up really well and after using MER i could see my reflection in the panels.

https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/Sharpe2002/19222902_10155295644057464_9171451810755254770_o_zpsp4bkkmhq.jpg
https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/Sharpe2002/19264380_10155295644052464_3891569955577664645_o_zpseglwoo5p.jpg

MOT is a week today.

I also painted a red tank black. Not perfect but passed the 5ft test. I'l add Kawasaki sticker.
Unfortunately a lot of the original decals are no longer available, even direct from kawasaki

After 3 coats of primer, satin black and clear.
https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/Sharpe2002/IMAG3835_zpsfzq0gn2p.jpg
https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/Sharpe2002/IMAG3838_zpsb0ovhql7.jpg

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:12 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled them both out and washed them, once over the tyre pressures, fluids, bulbs, cleaned and lubed the chains and then wired in a relay fed ignition live feed for the heated grips and a voltmeter on the Triple and booked it in for the MOT. Removed the bar muffs from the GPZ so I can use it in the meantime.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:18 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got down and dirty and covered in grease to replace the snapped gearshift and bent rear brake levers, along with replacing the rider pegs for shiny new ones while completely removing the passenger pegs.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4224/35013551630_70ec834455.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4234/35271020481_05516ec12b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4218/35013551610_d98fc22510.jpg

After nearly 2 hours of struggling with placing the rear brake in the correct position, I've decided I'm never doing any work around it ever again. Confused There must be an easier way, but that spring caused serious agro.

Attempted to replace the plate holder while the tools were out but a stripped bolt prevented that from happening. Mad Next job...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

I still think they're a beautiful looking bike (even without a fuel tank Laughing ). Need good pics when it's all complete please Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 261 of 409