Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 277, 278, 279 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought and fitted a screen to my bike see other thread

Very pleased easily fitted seems to be effective on my short test run
Looks good in my eyes
Will see how it fares over the winter and see if I need to get a bigger one
May even try and make one using this one as a pattern
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZ wrote:
I wanted to wait another month or so but the bike is dead and I won't have time (an money) to fix it until the end of next month so no point to continue paying tax.

Fair enough, I hope winter comes late, like (I think) 3 years back when it was still 15 degrees in mid-December Wub Who cares if the daffodils don't know WTF's going on.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the carb learning curve.

Pulled old and new carbs apart (PZ26, Chinese/Korean clones). Find out they are running a Keihin CV/PW main (Great, I have spares) and a Mikuni pilot. What the fuck?
Set float heights to 14mm, replaced float valve in older carb, made sure jets were clear, float bowls clean, butterfly and slides moved freely. Set adjustment screw to 1 turn out and idle 4 turns out. If I can get it started, I can go from there. I still need to free up locknuts to adjust the arm that pushes accelerator pump on new carb, but I'll settle for getting it started before I go thinning any spannners down.

Give me Fuel Injection any day. I now understand how carbs work, but they still seem like inefficient, hard work in comparison to FI.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepped for a wee welsh 'oliday.

Pumped tyres...fitted tankbag.
Stashed the puncture kit under the seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Lives! I suspect float height was the problem. Still need to play with getting it right. It takes a moment to let off the revs. Throttle cable does not appear to be sticking, grip snaps back promptly.
Found nice big linear crack under the mounting flange. Gungum + VHT paint to the rescue.
Think the clutch springs are about toast, wont fully engage, feels sloppy. Will chuck new plates in as well, they're not that expensive.

Cush drive changed & new chain on, old one was at the end of the adjustment range.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/FoTlqeh.jpg

Cleaning out the dirt bike bits, I have learneded what a carb is. There was a bit of dirt in the float bowl but hopefully it hasn't got into the engine as that might be a bit too hard.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean your jet's out, it's unlikely to have got past them but may have clogged them. You'll see when you look through them.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:29 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. Well ste did. That was the entire reason for taking the carb out.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Became the owner of a new (to me) Blackbird

many lol's where had on the ride back to mine, goes a bit err quicker than Bandit I had before
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

many lol's where had on the ride back to mine, goes a bit err quicker than Bandit I had before

As always, Pictures....

Bike wise: Picked up the SV with new (to the bike) rear shock and fresh MOT. Not to bad for 150 of the English squidlys.

Free bonus fact: rode home in pouring rain without RainyMate. Didn't die.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:15 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted a loose connection which caused the failure of my right-hand DRL. Planned is an ugrade of the LEDs from 3 each side to 2 each side better ones which my lad will sort for me. He reported last time I passed him going the other way in our village that while they are nice and bright, they are not multi-directional and lost their impact as I passed him. Must sort that out to allow for myopic drivers at roundabouts etc.

Last edited by Petemate on 22:59 - 01 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORNed the R1.

Ridden more miles on that bike than any of the others,even the FJ1200.

Looking forward to riding it next year Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puncture repair...
Twisted Evil

Got the screw Friday morning, rode all day no problems, Saturday checked and the tyre was flat.. repaired it with my crafty plugger kit and Sunday it's still inflated. Mr. Green

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried to get the 900 running properly. Used newly purchased IR gun to confirm that one cylinder was not doing what it is meant to. Temp never got anywhere near the other 3

Removed and tested the coils, ht leads, plug caps among a few other things. Turned out 1 out of the 4 plugs was wrong. Has EA instead of ES.

Next i looked into why the water pump was leaking oil. Seal had failed.. Upon draining the oil (that had done ZERO miles) i noticed it was much runnier than usual and that my coolant level was dropping..
Removed pump and spent an hour splitting it into its component parts. Parts ordered so now waiting on delivery so i can rebuild it, refill with fluids and start it up again

Very soon i will have replaced almost every part except the frame and wheels Rolling Eyes

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted to fit an Ohlins shock. Removed the old one before finding out they have sent me one for an 08 bike.

Refitted the old shock after greasing everything. Changed the oil and filter.

Gilles rearsets arrive tomorrow as do the new tyres, so thats tomorrow evening sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

As always, Pictures....

https://s1.postimg.org/3bki7kyd27/20171001_123756_-_small.jpg

Very Happy

I have all the luggage, but realistically will never use it, so going to sling it in the shed an remove the rack.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ^^^ is lovely Thumbs Up

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the hoop off of the rear of the grab rail, as when I get my new top box, it will stick out too far with the hoop there. My lad turned up two nice plastic bungs to finish off the ends of the tubing, neat job. Now the box and its plate will sit nice and snug against the rear of the seat. Top box should be here tomorrow. Pics once the job is done.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally changed my clocks to ones I can actually read. Last ones were mega bleached and the speedo needle stopped at 65.... if I could even read the numbers correctly.

Then cleaned the chain, put some gearbox oil on the chain and thought, best buy a new clutch cable.

It's all much easier in my shed!!!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

Speaking from an armchair expert perspective?

Stop being a cock smoker.

It's a good bike, very good for the money. Sorry you can't seem to afford anything more than a shagged fzs Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt the gpz900 water pump. Both the oil and mechanical seal has failed. Bit of a fiddly job but managed to bodge it back together in my own ham fisted fashion with a selection of long sockets, a toffee hammer and elbow grease Laughing Laughing

These kwaker water pumps were not originally intended to be rebuilt. Even says so in the Haynes and workshop manuals but due to a couple of dedicated people, replacement parts were made up. New pump would be £180 or so and the rebuild kit is £55. Big money saving by rebuilding it

Plumbed it all up, turned around to put the Ratchet on the bench, well happy with myself...only to spot an O ring left over.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 277, 278, 279 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 278 of 409