Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I'll be passing on the pot of copper grease to my yet unborn grandchildren.
https://i.imgur.com/HXNNtEt.jpg?1

Lol. That's why I just bought a small tube of the stuff. You did know you could just buy a small tube of the stuff?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

...which seems to have taken a bit of abuse at one end? Presumably not a problem?

Abuse caused by incorrect drift As in, needed a square ended point not a pointy point.
They'll do a few more bearing changes and by then the bike will become parts.

In short;No problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

(yesterday afternoon) Cleaned behind the 9's sprocket cover - el previoso used some weird sort of grease chain lube and it had all backed up behind there in huge gloopy globs. Main task was to inspect nick of sprocket - it's definitely got use on it, but eh. In my hands it should last for a few years.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
You did know you could just buy a small tube of the stuff?

Not always, Halfords sell this, if I live 'til 90 and masturbate twice a day I won't get through it all.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed an MOT. A few advisories, but nothing I didn't know about.

Before the MOT she had a new rear brake switch, which failed in the closed position. Had to lengthen the cable because it's a bloody cruiser and has footrests 4 feet in front of it.
https://i.imgur.com/iubcdJ5l.jpg

Gun-Gummed, patched and wrapped the exhaust, to get her through, but she *will* need a new one. Found a use for the shiny Mikalor clamp I had lying around in the box of jubilee clips.
https://i.imgur.com/m03rOMil.jpg

Sorted cooler out - Partially blocked oil banjo.

Also tidied up some more electrical "fixes" by previous owners, chain lube and tension, checked tyres etc.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted some Oxford heated grips to my new bike.

Honda really use an odd throttle on the NC700 - its got a lip at each end, which I had to sand down to get the grip on.
2 minutes to remove and fit the left grip, 90+minutes for the right...

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it back together and test rode it! No more public transport for me Dance!

The work done while it was off the road:
replaced head gasket
replaced exhaust studs (rusty and bent)
Straightened bent exhaust flange
Stripped worst bits of exhaust and rusty as fuck flanges
painted exhaust and flanges
replaced throttle cables
rebodged the broken screw mount on choke slide

What a bloody faff, still with the exhaust and throttle cables done the list of winter prep has been reduced to front tyre/bearings/fork oil refresh. So close!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd the F4.

Two things I learnt. If the bike has a pillion seat then pillion pegs have to be fitted.

The F4 has made it through previous MOTs without a rear reflector.

Anyway...got the pass...Spanked it home and I'm almost certain the front started to lift in 4th. I need to lay off the pies....or is it the extra weight on the rear?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOWGqaeWsAE4Ay7.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned, serviced, new fork guard stickers.

https://s20.postimg.org/ixj1pncy5/WP_20171111_10_30_46_Pro.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/c72kg7xi5/WP_20171111_10_31_01_Pro.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:44 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to fit my heated grips. Started trying to route the cabling which was obviously designed for a bike the length of the Titanic, thought fuck this this is why I don't bother with electrics and decided I'll bung someone £50 to fit them nice and neatly.

Then done some general cleaning, lubing and adjusting of various bits and bobs so not a totally wasted morning.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Went out to fit my heated grips. Started trying to route the cabling which was obviously designed for a bike the length of the Titanic, thought fuck this this is why I don't bother with electrics and decided I'll bung someone £50 to fit them nice and neatly.

Then done some general cleaning, lubing and adjusting of various bits and bobs so not a totally wasted morning.

Err yes, I know how you feel, too much cable, no where to put it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Day: Found the cause of the indicators flashing too fast: road crud built up on the under-tray around the wires. Quick spray of some WD-40 and bodge bodged: wasn't working at all at first, then slowly and then normally.. worked on two commutes.

M.O.T booked: trying a local indi garage rather than going across other side of city like usual, here's to hopefully saving myself many bus trips in full gear whenever I need a second hand on a job.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new Reg/Rec. Battery now charges, voltage rises when revved. All is good with the little thing now... except shocks and exhaust, but they'll have to wait unless they get really offensive.

More paint, rust removal, inhibitor and matt black paint.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR250 got a new MOT.

Fitted heated grips to a colleagues ped (voltages seem ok).

Changed oil on Striple (going for a bimble in the sunsheeeiiinne tomorrow).

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the Honda, put my arm band that I use for holding my phone when jogging round the bar pad with my old phone in landscape ways, and tried Navmii application out. Seems quite good-ish.

Plan is to switch to an Android phone and use viewranger for os maps and trail ridess, and my Satnav for regular roads to explore a bit over the winter.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Two things I learnt. If the bike has a pillion seat then pillion pegs have to be fitted.

The F4 has made it through previous MOTs without a rear reflector.

This is the exact opposite at the two places I go to for MOTs. OTOH, my klx has passed three MOTs without pillion pegs despite obviously having a seat long enough to accommodate one. Secondly, a rear reflector has always been required (they sell them for a quid).

RE the first point I always understood it more in relation to chain guard - i.e. if you have pillion pegs you have to have a chain guard.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed front headlight bulb on the xj6. 4 sizes of Allen keys and a 10mm spanner gets the job done. At least don't have to worry about someone nicking my new bulb All working now feel safer having a dipped headlight again
Also put a new push rivet thing in to hold my rear hugger secure grand total of £10.39 for both jobs

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
RE the first point I always understood it more in relation to chain guard - i.e. if you have pillion pegs you have to have a chain guard.

This'll be why my MOT bloke has not even mentioned my lack of pillions for the last 5 years.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a puncture early in the week. Rear started to feel icy. It was a cold day, slowed down to 70ish, ignored it and the nice places I could have stopped. a mile later I slowed some more, but at 50mph all goes to shit and I stop at the end of dual carrigeway where everyone is merging to turn off Embarassed did not have my underseat compressor so used Rac to put a plug in. Have bought new compressor to live underseat.

Swapped the tire for a spare PR4. Good timing the roadtec01 HWM does not like cold weather. It had 3mm left, will repair and swap again in spring

https://s17.postimg.org/4tflzini7/IMG_20171108_094130.jpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change and tidy garage

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:10 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain guards are advisory if the guy even cares Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain lube & Tension, tyre pressures, wired in Phone holder and pre-wired runs, relay and wire for LED spots I'm waiting for via the High-beam switch.

Took her for a test ride - No overheating, no flat rear tyre, no dead battery. Still handles like a drunk overweight moose, is massively arse-heavy and I've yet to ride anything worse affected by the wind, but those were expected.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:18 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to attack the case of the disappearing tacho reading. Yesterday during a brisk trip over to Jack's Hill Cafe for the annual Remembrance ride, the rev read-out started to flutter. I put it down to a bit of engine vibration but on the way back home it went manic for a couple of miles, then faded away to merely a reading just above zero.

Today I checked the spade which feeds the fork of the bottom of the cable, and it was free to turn. Drained the oil, removed the clutch cover and lo and behold, the teeth on the drive gear have stripped. Lucky for me the worm on the oil pump is OK; (NLA), and also the pumps are nearly £190.

New gear ordered from Lings, nice peeps to deal with. It will be here in a few days. Now to remove the old one. This will be a bit of a pig, I gripped it with moles and tapped it to push it out together with the seal whch holds it in, no joy. So tomorrow's plan wil be to take the angle grinder to it, cut it in half, and pop the two haves out, then make up an extractor to pull out the seal. As I write, the casing is propped up in the shed with penetrating fluid soaking around it to hopefully soften 34 years of it sitting in there. Then I will make up a small extractor (you all know the sort of thing, made up from a washer and the appropriate screw and nut etc.) Watch this space for pics.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
MOTs. [...] if you have pillion pegs you have to have a chain guard.

On chain guards, the MOT manual says: Reason for Rejection: a drive chain/belt guard, insecure or fouling another component.

On chain guards, C&U 1986 say: Nothing.

[citation needed]

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:37 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick wash, lubed & tensioned chain. ACF50'd the bike. Replaced third light bulb with an led jobbie.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 282, 283, 284 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 283 of 409