Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
NJD wrote:
yet even if seeing all the crud on the rear of the bike makes me want to cry.

If it was a 10K + bike then maybe but crying over a <£1000 work horse?

*Giggles*

Bike value does not correlate to a rider's love and care for their bike.

And even if it did; I would argue that a cheaper bike that requires more love and attention than a 10K weekend power-ranger steed would be loved more, as it would be a more involved ownership.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:

A bit of oil flung on the tyre side wall/edge isn't suddenly going to see you sliding down the road on your arse despite what the weekend warrior safety brigade say.

Flung oil is NFU as a lubricant cos it's not on the chain, is it. It's everywhere it doesn't need to be.

The whole point of chain lube ( whether you use old motor oil or new non fling white shite ) is that it stays on the chain.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

I wouldn't bite and respond. In the whole time I've been here he's had his one thread of win with the engine re-build and beside that he rages on with fantasy scenario's hoping to rile someone and spark a response to another one of his pointless posts.

Got to let out his boredom somehow, suppose.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:18 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
haroman666 wrote:

I wouldn't bite and respond. In the whole time I've been here he's had his one thread of win with the engine re-build and beside that he rages on with fantasy scenario's hoping to rile someone and spark a response to another one of his pointless posts.

Got to let out his boredom somehow, suppose.

Lets put it this way, he's on my permanent enemy list, just so I don't have to see his bollocks. And as you all know, I'm always sweetness and light...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 17 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodyform wrote:
Anyway in other news. My Fazer was hesitant to start and rather very grizzly for a mile or so after being stood in torrential rain for 10 hours at work. Thought I was going to have to walk to a petrol station and pay through the nose for a can of WD40.

Your fazer should be ratted, but you desperately cling to the autistic notion that it's a good clean example.

It isn't. Get the matt black out and accept that it needs to happen.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a YouTube vid about fitting heated grips, plugged everything together and checked it over ready to go on tomorrow. Promptly lost the instructions like a pro Thumbs Up

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family member is in college learning his level one NVQ in Motorcycle Maintenance & Repair. His tutor is currently trained to Level one and shouldn't be teaching a level one class!

His tutor stripped the bike down to diagnose a non-running fault. The tutor fucked things up royally, causing family member to lose heart in the project and was going to give up until I suggested he bring it over.

So there I am sat with a VN500 Vulcan in the middle of my workshop that has a flat battery, completely fubar'd carbs (tutor wanted to play supposedly), and an air filter made of a sponge that had, apparently, been under the sea for the passed 5 years.

By my username, you can imagine that I like my rat bikes - I've got a few of them - but this thing, this thing is beyond a joke! Tape, scotch connectors and twisted wires in the loom, random unterminated wires everywhere, none of the original bolts anywhere, cable ties holding the radiator and expansion tank to the frame, cable ties holding one side of the coils to the frame, no vacuum line to the tank (no that wasn't the issue!) and well, the family member did the paint job so I should be nice. I can't so I won't say anything about it - but it wasn't supposed to be rat!

Started doing the normal fiddly bits to see why it wouldn't run - fuel, spark, air filter. Fuel - as mentioned before, no vacuum line and blocked on the inlet. Fine. Grabbed some fuel line, attached it to the vacuum line port on the tap, created a vacuum and folded the hose in half, cable tie keeping it sealed - fuel's flowing... Great. Still doesn't start. Check the spark - good spark, good clearance, wet. Let it all dry out, spray fuel out of the spark plug holes using the starter and try again. Nada. Hmmm okay - how about a small spray of 'start ya bastard' equivalent? 'pop pop pop BANG!' huge backfire through the carbs, smoke pouring out of the airbox... That aint right!

Airbox open - it's full of friggin oil! Pull the smouldering remains of what appeared to have once been an air filter and wipe the inside of the airbox out.

Given the backfire I skipped carbs and went straight for timing. Drained the coolant system, remove the radiator and expansion tank (as said before, nice and easy) and took the head off. other than finding some crushed locating dowels, it was clean, someone has kindly put timing marks on the cam shafts too! Handy, very han.... oh wait, they're not in the right place. Inspection cover off the side case and line up with the non-existent "|C" timing mark. There's tippex instead but rather than trust that I'll turn the engine over by hand and watch for cylinder 1 to get between inlet and combustion - it lines up fairly close to the tippex at TDC. Do that and a problem becomes apparent. The inlet camshaft is sitting nicely level with the gasket surface - exhaust side isn't right. I count the pins and there's 23 of the 24 needed between the indicator marks. Cam tensioner out, exhaust camshaft out, spun, replaced and sort out the timing and valve clearances.

Put everything back together aaaaaand... Only ran for a few seconds.

Family member says he has to go home, and I'm not doing any work on it without him there, so that's where it ended today. Every single bolt was hand tight. Every single one... Apparently his tutor had diagnosed the issue as being piston rings, and had stripped it down to do that.

And failed.

And then tried to fuck about with the bike to get it running again before family member went, nah fuck this, you don't know what you're doing. (more evident by the fact that the one time I've got it running it revved it's tits off - apparently the tutor had turned the tick-over screw in until it was actually tight (read seized in place), because he thought that it was too loose.

The missus says I should go for a job there and start teaching again, I say fuck that... This college sounds like shite - no tools, no organisation, no skills/knowledge... I could understand if my family member had fucked it up himself, he's there to learn, but the tutor? Taking the piss I reckon.

So I didn't get to work on my bike today, but I did manage to get one running (briefly). I reckon it was the carbs I skipped over Laughing
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
This college sounds like shite - no tools, no organisation, no skills/knowledge...

Sounds about right. I did a level 3 mechanics course, and all the tutors seemed to have had one job in the trade, been shit, and gone into teaching Rolling Eyes You're better off getting a Haynes manual and a basic socket set then teaching yourself.

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
...all the tutors seemed to have had one job in the trade, been shit, and gone into teaching Rolling Eyes You're better off getting a Haynes manual and a basic socket set then teaching yourself.

Last place I was at was for 'out of mainstream education' kids - little shits from youth offending, expelled from schools etc, and either physically disabled or with learning difficulties that schools couldn't or wouldn't work with. Staff was a mix of teachers, bikers, and teaching bikers. Most of us had a criminal record, I think probably 90% of us rode bikes, some were club members, one was an MBE. It worked too, little shits came in and good mechanics went out for the most part.

With all good things, it came to end when no-one wanted to fund a charity school & college any more.

Bang on about the manual, and exactly what I told my family member today - everything he's 'learning' at college, he pretty much knows. He's got a Haynes for his bike and I've told him to read it before he comes back over to work on the bike. Happy to help, but I'd rather he learnt to fix the fucker himself or I'll never see the back of it Laughing
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brushed some snow off it - In no fit state to work on it. Sadly, no alcohol involved.

New petcock, fuel line, filter to go on - Will have to wait until the weekend, as I'm winging it that this petcock will actually fit.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the rear brake pads on the Pan and cleaned the starter switch as I'd noticed that my headlight wasn't coming on reliably (much harder to spot now I'm pretty much commuting in daylight). Headlight now comes on properly Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a few overdue bits yesterday.

New front brake lever for the Xenter. Ridiculous amount of stripping down to get at the bolt for the lever,
and an utter fiddly arsehole of a rubber boot too, just to make things awkward. The bike had a bent one on it when
we bought it and the missus struggled to reach the old one as it was bending away from the twistgrip.

After that I replaced a piece of moulded rubber ducting which comes off some kind of filter housing. It's meant to move
in normal operation and the original one had split in the concertina bit that allows the movement. Again a lot of removing
stuff just to get to a relatively simple job. Had to cut the metal clamp that held it on at the bottom as it had rusted
too much to undo. Foresaw that issue and had already bought a replacement clamp so no probs. Fuck knows
what it's for, but I'm sure it isn't supposed to be split so I've changed it for a new one

Scoot all up to date, I turned to the Spacker and after some more dismantling I fitted the rear LED indicators
I've had waiting to go on the bike since before Christmas. Was a fiddly pain routing the new wires, but I bought the
connector adaptors so it was all plug and play at least with no wire cutting. Changed the relay to correct the flash
rate while I had the seat off. Gonna pop out and do the relatively easier fronts a bit later today.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I put a freshly charged battery back in the MZ, pushed it outside (warm garage), tried to start it, started quite nicely with 3rd or 4th kick, then it died, but it was quite chilly today (-1°C) and the last time the engine ran it was November, so I thought it was gonna run alright eventually. Anyway, I went back to my garage, put all the gear on, locked the garage up and tried to start the MZ again. A very/surprisingly nice start, everything alright, but it wouldn't rev that easily. Yet again, rather cold, so thought it'll get better as it warms up a bit and off I went, although did not get far.

The engine died in the first intersection and I could not restart it again. I pushed it back to my garage, about half a mile. Not quite pleasant, as the tyres were a bit low on pressure and I got hot pretty soon, as before the push back home, I tried several push starts.

All I can tell now is, the spark plug was soaked, but perfectly fine otherwise, so I think the choke is stuck. The odd thing is, I could not restart the engine, even after I cleaned the spark plug and let the combustion chamber to dry up a bit. Ether didn't do the trick either.

So, yay Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the front LED indicators done this evening. Next job to fit Sena kit into my lid.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusted the chain, for the first time ever, after the bike felt slow and I hit a couple of dodgy neutral shifts (false or otherwise I don't recall).

One wind-out and job done. Feels alright with luggage loaded so the test-ride to work, on another day, should be fun.

Big halfrauds spanner makes light work of getting the axle tight: two adjustments and I was done.

R.I.P me. Laughing

https://s7.postimg.org/h9ov4zl8b/image.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Adjusted the chain, for the first time ever, after the bike felt slow and I hit a couple of dodgy neutral shifts (false or otherwise I don't recall).

One wind-out and job done. Feels alright with luggage loaded so the test-ride to work, on another day, should be fun.

Big halfrauds spanner makes light work of getting the axle tight: two adjustments and I was done.

R.I.P me. Laughing

https://s7.postimg.org/h9ov4zl8b/image.jpg

You could reduce the maintenance you have to do on the chain by fitting something like a tutoro auto oiler

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Slow down I'm still running a bike with carbs, you'll give me a headache if you continue to throw modern technology at me.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitted new swing arm bearings without a puller or a press AND without breaking anything. thats a win in my book

put some hammerite on the rusty exposed metal on the swingarm.

tonight should see it back together ready for the mot re-test on Sat morning Cool

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master cylinder was due replacement, but hastened when I put my thumb through the window.
https://i.imgur.com/5qZAf5cl.jpg

Problem is, they're 1" bars, and I only had a 7/8" Radial master kicking around...
https://i.imgur.com/O1VXvrAl.jpg?1

Fettled to size and fitted. Yes, it works, very well indeed.
https://i.imgur.com/DXCdUjhl.jpg

It also highlighted just how bad the warp in the disc was, so that got swapped out as well.
https://i.imgur.com/FDttmUxl.jpg]

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ThatDippyTwat

Good job on the master cylinder, looks quite secure.. Cool
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
@ThatDippyTwat

Good job on the master cylinder, looks quite secure.. Cool

Plenty of thread in the holes, I used longer screws, it's not going anywhere.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:40 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
Stripped the front end down, ready for the fitting of taper roller steering head bearings. I will also be replacing the split fork gaiters, which lasted all of 2 years but only cost a few quid.

After a long absence from the shed, due to it being too bleddy cold to work in there, finally fitted the new bearings. All nice and smooth in there now. Busy today and tomorrow, so the gaiters will be popped on Tuesday and the front end rebuilt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I only had a 7/8" Radial master kicking around...
https://i.imgur.com/O1VXvrAl.jpg?1

That's axial not radial.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 298 of 409