Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 310, 311, 312 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you didn't see the front calliper fly up into your line of sight whilst getting some air time at bcf bbq....

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed up with the abomination that was my pig ugly headlight/speedo bracket arrangement, i took the bank holiday to finally sort the bloody thing out once and for all. The speedo was held on by shit clamps on the bars, and by christ i don't like things clamped to the bars, so that had to go too. Got a speedo cowling off the ebay, cheapest i could find, but still overpriced at 8 quid imo.

At first i made a cardboard version, but it had very little strength and couldn't hold the weight of the headlight. Worse, it just totally disintegrated everytime it started to rain.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/cardbrakt.jpg

So, then i decided to make them out of ally instead;

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/braktoff.jpg

In situ;

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/brakton.jpg

That's more like it. Thumbs Up

More pics for those with a high boredom threshold. First one is the peak of ugliness it had when i bought it, then the first replacement version, then the current one.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new throttle cables as the push cable snapped at Henstridge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new 'gel' battery from County Battery (01623-757377) for my Van Van 26.99GBP. 'Pound' key not working. 48hour delivery. Seem good people to deal with !.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap ebay "muffler" wasn't muffling anything. Straight through. Drilled rivets out, shortened and put more welds that join the perforated tubes, welded on new end-cap, repacked with ceramic blanket and sealed with fire putty (I work in a Foundry, work perks Mr. Green ). Once the putty goes off, I'll put it on the bike, see if it's A) blowing and B) quieter.

Clone Carb rebuild kit arrived with an extra kit, seller said to keep it, so I rebuilt the stock carb as far as possible with extra kit, as some parts are the same.

Priced up tube to make an exhaust - I'll have to make one, she just won't run properly with it as is.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the Nikon race pipes on the YPVS to get the jetting somewhere near in prep for the arrival of the JM stainless spannies. Went through all my main jets and moved the needles up and down but came to the conclusion I needed some jets I don't have. Ordered from Yambits.
Also changed the rear shock from the race bike to the road bike, along with the NKR dogbones to raise the rear ride height. Of course you cant do this without attending to the front end so replaced the fork oil with 300cc of 15 weight instead of 283cc of 10 weight and also added a spacer over the spring, replaced a fork seal and added a steering damper.
Getting it to how I want it!

OGR

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:44 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

remembered to take the disc lock off before pulling away Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

Is this a first for you?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced all the fuel hoses on the RF. They were more hole than pipe!

Carbs and brakes need a good clean, then all that's left is cosmetic stuff. 👍

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosened the chain, by one half turn, to increase freeplay after being told, "It's too tight," by the instructor when he wheeled my bike into the lockup a week or so ago. Can still hear a noise from front sprocket when wheeling the bike so is probably in need of replacing, I'll look in a couple of days <deaded.jpg>.

Cleaned all the calipers because isn't rain a joy.

Solved a weird metallic see-saw noise that was being emitted when the front brake was applied and the front suspension compressed and decompressed: turns out the brake hoses had wrapped around each other in a way they didn't like.

.. And I'll use the ride to work as the test ride because I like to induce un-required anxiety.

Can I die from the smell of the lubricants and heat of the sun, yet?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
almostthere wrote:

Is this a first for you?

yep

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balanced the carburettors using a Morgan Carbtune. Surprisingly easy. Number 3 was quite a bit higher than the rest but the bike doesn't feel all that different now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:00 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAS:

https://i.imgur.com/2Ag0t2G.png

IS:

https://i.imgur.com/DiVPrfm.png

Rrrarararrarghblatblatblat.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd the 900r. No advisories! Very Happy

gave it a quick oil and filter change and ordered a braided clutch line to swap when i bleed the clutch and brakes. Fluid is only a year old but the lever feels spongy, like there is air in the system.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I love that it says 5 Speed on the box. Just in case you forget or don't believe Enfield have got beyond the number 4 yet. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:51 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Put the Nikon race pipes on the YPVS to get the jetting somewhere near in prep for the arrival of the JM stainless spannies.

Pics are needed Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:58 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I love that it says 5 Speed on the box. Just in case you forget or don't believe Enfield have got beyond the number 4 yet. Laughing

And the brake is on the right and the gearshift is on the left. Very modern, such cosmopolitan.

One of the joys of that box is that it goes floppy below 1st and above 5th, so you can verify that you're all the way down or up without the chagrin of a failed change.

I await that development catching on among more hidebound, regressive marques.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismantled the rear brake light switch on the Fazer as it was sticking on and causing the ABS to have a fit and start flashing error lights on the dash

https://s33.postimg.cc/uzo7q3xyn/IMG-20180604-_WA0003.jpg

It is no longer as crusty as bodytards Failzer

https://s33.postimg.cc/tzxwuf5y7/IMG-20180604-_WA0007.jpg

ಠ_ಠ

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

One of the joys is that it goes floppy below

Sorry what Rog? Wink Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
One of the joys is that it goes floppy below

Sorry what Rog? Wink Wink

It's more about getting it up.

You know how usually when you're as up as you're going to get, your shaft goes rock hard and you can't get it up any more no matter how hard you thrust away at it? Instead, when I jerk my shaft upwards from there it just goes all limp and wiggles around to let me know that a solid 5 is all I'm going to achieve.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to ride it. Realised my boots were broken. Didn't ride it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent three hours attempting to remove the front sprocket cover and still didn't get it done -- a sentence so catastrophic I struggle to know what part to italic for emphasis.

Spent ages attempt to jimmy the cover off the bike using a flat head screwdriver convinced it was held on by grime, and chain lube, only to get nowhere. Searched Google and a forum said there was four, although I was convinced the fourth was the one that holds the linkage in place.. oops.

Here's the most stupidly placed bolt in the history on mankind, for reference (inside the recess covered in chain lube):

The manual says nothing about how many bolts there are and only three are clearly visible, without knowing you're looking for a fourth.

https://s15.postimg.cc/3s8c2x8t7/chain23.jpg

Locked the bike away but then realised I had an out of place cover so got it back out again and had another ago.

Get the fourth bolt out, and the cover loose, and find that the engine bars stop the cover from being removed... FUCKING GRAND. Get half way through removing them and wonder why I'm going through so much effort when I've already phoned ahead to book it in to get the sprockets and chain changed.

Take the left side foot peg bracket out, because I'm already half way there, and still couldn't get the cover off.

Put it all back together, including the stupidly placed bolt and locknut in the middle of the engine, and gave up. Plus why would anyone use a bolt and locknut arrangement inbetween the engine but behind the exhaust headers.

When they've charged me a lot of labour costs to change the sprockets I'm half tempted to remove the bars entirely.

Here's the rear, at least:
https://s15.postimg.cc/b5nq2c3a3/chain1.jpg

One more slightly jumpy ride and I'll, hopefully, have a smoother bike; although the correct tension makes the world of difference -- and clean calipers, of course.

If it doesn't fall apart either on my way to, or back from, work I'll be surprised.

Turned into one of those "why the fek am I doing this" type of jobs.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to fix my slipping Oxford hot grip on the KTM.

Not much contact adhesive used here:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1729/28715819718_0c9eab3a2f_c.jpg[/url]

But then there was another bodge waiting for me.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1721/28715820388_c81395de93_c.jpg

I should have two of the middle slash cut threaded pieces but I only have one; clearly the previous owner has managed to lose it somehow when fitting the grips and, as a consequence, found any old nut to try to do the same thing. Problem is, I can't get it to tighten up far enough to not be able to pull out the bar end by hand now. Not sure if it was ever tight enough, I hadn't noticed.

And guess what, you can only buy the entire hand guard and fixings as a kit, not just the fixings. Typical.

I'm buying a Ducati; I mean it can't be any more unreliable Laughing

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:37 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Austin Racing off and got it ready to go have a check up.

https://i.imgur.com/rfyFFrv.jpg

Sent it off to Ribble ATV Aprilia Dealer to get any faults / issues fixed which keep cropping up.

https://i.imgur.com/FVfOT6f.jpg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odered loads of parts for the No.3 Deauville thats just turned up. Sent off V5 and will have to pay for the bike on Thursday.
Replaced Camera on No.2 Deauville as the previous had stopped auto switching on.
Now adjusting head races and rebuilding front calipers on ER6 which is at 90k+ after 10 years and still going well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 310, 311, 312 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 311 of 409