Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed the watch type battery in the back of the dashboard, it was less of a faff than I feared it would be

I was too lazy to go back inside to read the instructions on how to reset the clock, and I just kept mashing buttons until I got to set the time, which I set to GMT so I don't have to do it when the clocks go back

https://i.postimg.cc/52Bq98qC/20180924_135000.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZRM6sHZ1/20180924_134951.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
I decided I'd take a look at the EXUP valve on the R1, not having serviced it in years. Turns out it was in good order, cable tension good, not too dirty. However the bolts were seized on the cover and the cable mounting bracket. I've snapped the head off of one (although "snapped" is the wrong word, it twisted off like wax) and rounded two more. I wish I'd left it alone now but I'm chasing up a stalling issue.

Bought a nifty Black & Decker rechargeable drill and took my time drilling out one of the three bolts. I thought once the bolt core was out the threads would pull out like a spring but that's not happening here. I've now bought a tap and die set to finish the job but it's too dark and cold in the garage after work so it'll have to wait until the weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I wrote:
I decided I'd take a look at the EXUP valve on the R1, not having serviced it in years. Turns out it was in good order, cable tension good, not too dirty. However the bolts were seized on the cover and the cable mounting bracket. I've snapped the head off of one (although "snapped" is the wrong word, it twisted off like wax) and rounded two more. I wish I'd left it alone now but I'm chasing up a stalling issue.

Bought a nifty Black & Decker rechargeable drill and took my time drilling out one of the three bolts. I thought once the bolt core was out the threads would pull out like a spring but that's not happening here. I've now bought a tap and die set to finish the job but it's too dark and cold in the garage after work so it'll have to wait until the weekend.

You would have to be pretty precise and quite lucky to be able to pull the thread out like a spring, especially doing it with a hand drill.
If you successfully drilled the core, you can use an easy out.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of my glamorous arse-istant Fret, we swapped the standard shock on the aBusa for a shiny Ohlins unit and greased up the bearings.

https://i.imgur.com/TjjbvUQ.jpg?1

Subframes twisted.

https://i.imgur.com/H1wFvgf.jpg?1

Mmmmmmmm shiny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think the abba stand was a bit of a gimmick but now I see just how essential it really is, specially for jobs like this.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cans on.

https://i.postimg.cc/28SkXF3t/20180927_184040.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/N0MC3FRB/20180927_184010.jpg

Took it for a spin earlier, the change in weight and feel of the bike, both riding and manoeuvring on foot is dramatic.
I think these systems should have been standard issue on these bikes.
I will however, have to wear earplugs all the time now.
Of course I had to fire it up without the baffles in. Raaar.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boiled it riding through crappy Cambridge traffic. I pulled into a side street with the warning light flashing and noticed the fan wasn't on. The fuse was ok so after 10 mins I rejoined the traffic but immediately got stuck at the traffic lights and had to switch off while waiting. I was just around the corner from the bike bay outside the Scott Polar Institute Museum so I parked there, chained the bike up and noticed coolant on the back tyre. Half an hour in the museum Thumbs Up and the bike had cooled to normal operating temperature so I set off for home filtering like a bastard with a keen eye on the temperature, but it was spot on.

I just need to rinse it off now (can coolant damage paintwork?) and then find the fan fault.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did leave out the baffles, my word, what a din.
I thought to myself, as soon as I'm home, they're bloody well going back in!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the fuel tap on the commuter.

A KMX125 petcock fits (sort of, I'm doubtful reserve will work very well) a Cruise 2.
https://i.imgur.com/cHMgvrXl.jpg
A very brief test showed it may well have solved the engine "missing" at higher revs. I'll chuck a bigger jet in it if needed when I get chance to test it properly.

Spotted fucked choke cable - not that I use it, but it's cheap enough, so I ordered one. Chain lube, paint touch-up/rust removal. Ordered ignition coil. it looks nasty, and spark is a bit yellow.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a shorted connector the fan runs like a dream,
So it looks the the fan switch has said Goodnight Irene.
Cool
(£50!)

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville didn't start yesterday morning, was behaving like the carbs were blocked. Got well and truly fooked off with it and wheeled it back in and took the MT09 to work instead.

Gave the bike a good look over today, checked all fuses (cleaned the corrosion on them all), when removing the tank I realised the fuel tap was in the "off" position...... ffs.

Then decided to replace the dash bulbs with LED replacements I bought about 10 months ago, so I'll now be able to see how fast I'm going when it's dark Laughing So I suppose the day was productive!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm now an official biker - I have a bike!

Today I mostly took plastic panels off and went through the wiring and cleaned/secured connectors. Whilst there I made a list of things that could do with renewing (old fuel lines, that sort of thing) and went online to order replacements.
Insurance is sorted and I'll wait till October starts to tax it.

On a positive note my son got a chance to look at the bike - he shook his head in silence. I think he approves Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:25 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the KR1S to a local dyno tuner place to get it to work properly.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got round to changing rear indicators. The teeny ones the previous owner had put on were practically under the bike, and kept getting waterlogged from being right above the wheel.

https://i.imgur.com/kI1369E.jpg

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming up to winter so put a spare fairing on and changed the handlebars to make it comfier. Did 350 miles at the weekend and it seems fine bit more fettling to be done soon.

Before and after.

https://i.imgur.com/adKOW0z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hm6k3jm.jpg

GPZ-Bob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing looks like you ride it everywhere, come rain or shine....it's like a joiners favourite hammer....I like it...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:25 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Do you get fire too? Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/RLE6Rn5.jpg

I recently learned that my bike is doing it's best Batmobile impression whilst it's being ridden. I learned this having
been followed for 40 odd miles through pitch black twisties last week by Fretgrinder .I thought it only happened if I gave
it a handful. Embarassed Took my baffle out as soon as I got it home from the Akra being fitted. It hasn't gone back in since.
Loud pipes save wives. Wink

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPZ-Bob wrote:
That thing looks like you ride it everywhere, come rain or shine....it's like a joiners favourite hammer....I like it...

Yup averaging 200 miles a week commuting then the odd 300 miles at the weekend. She pulls well for a 34year old bike. Made the fork gaiters out of old inner tubes had a bit of work throughout the year.

More parts being upgraded when they arrive. Hopefully turning her into a sidecar rig next year. Just tracking down someone who is selling the frame or finding someone who can make one.

My welding isn't that good yet.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that rough looking BMW actually looks cool. I whispered a pleasant 'ooof' when I saw the photo.

Took the tank off the CCM and drained it - the tank is deep and straddles over the cross bar and so has two taps. To be honest I was expecting one tap not to work or dribbles of water in the lower reserves but nope! Not a single bit of nastiness came out!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the R1: adjusted the EXUP cables, cleaned up the threads for the valve cover with a tap & dye set, and cut some new bolts down to stubby-size. Still not sure why it kept stalling on me the other day. Sad

On the ZX6R: drained the nearly new coolant, replaced the fan switch and a leaky hose, filtered the coolant through a rag and put it back in. Then topped it up. I had to take it to Tesco's empty car park and tootle about before the fan would come on, but it does work now. Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR -
Fitted voltmeter - on a switch as I CBA going into the clock wiring to find a switched live.
Fitted a dual camera I saw on this forum - cheers for that whoever posted it.

Work rat -
Front caliper off for clean.
Rear wheel off for grease and drum clean.
New coil + plug fitted.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bored so took the (sponge) air filter out, cleaned it and now it's drying on a radiator.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
recman wrote:

Do you get fire too? Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/RLE6Rn5.jpg

I recently learned that my bike is doing it's best Batmobile impression whilst it's being ridden. I learned this having
been followed for 40 odd miles through pitch black twisties last week by Fretgrinder .I thought it only happened if I gave
it a handful. Embarassed Took my baffle out as soon as I got it home from the Akra being fitted. It hasn't gone back in since.
Loud pipes save wives. Wink

I'm not sure, didn't check tbh. I know short systems spit fire but I'm not sure mine will do it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped rear calliper with clean spare - pistons always go rusty on these. Spare callipers make it a very quick job.

Pads were just about on the wear limit, not bad for being fitted in 2012, 67 k miles ago.

Now at 103k miles, mot coming up. Possibly need a front disc, and the thermostat needs to be swapped before winter.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a thing or two to my gpz900r

fitted a zzr1100 swingarm and rear wheel Cool
This mod loses the 18inch rear wheel and allows me to run the 17inch wheel for better tyre choices.
Oh, and now has 180 rear section rather than the original 140/150.

fitted a new hagon shock and re-greased every bearing i could get to.
New front and rear sprockets fitted in an attempt to keep the gearing the same.

https://i.imgur.com/A1CJxlx.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 322 of 409