Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 324, 325, 326 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Went to service 1100. Found two head gasket leaks. Then lost an oil gallery washer somewhere in the head. Lost my shit and will be shipping it off for an engine rebuild in January, that’ll be a thousand quid I don’t really have Evil or Very Mad

a grand for an engine rebuild? what do you get for that?

Genuine question. I've always done my oil boiler builds myself so i'm curious.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="virus"]
GT200Fan79 wrote:

a grand for an engine rebuild? what do you get for that?

Genuine question. I've always done my oil boiler builds myself so i'm curious.

Cheers
John

That’s a ballpark figure. Labour for strip and rebuild is £495, but I intend to take the full bike and tell them to sort it. I don’t have time or facilities to cope with dropping and stripping such a heavy and complex engine. They will be able to supply any bits it needs as well.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work Rat - Kept jumping out of gear last week, so...

These fucked ball joints...
https://i.imgur.com/meaaZTSl.jpg

Were replaced by these. Marked improvement, although it needs another shim on the lever pivot to take up slack.
https://i.imgur.com/DkoWSHbl.jpg

Nipped up exhaust bolts, cleaned and lubed chain.

VFR - chain lubed, Washed it and polished it with the daughter. Went to start it to put her away and found the starter solenoid was stuck on. Rapid disconnection of battery ensued. Not sure yet if my minion managed to get water somewhere she shouldn't have, or if the solenoid has shat itself. We'll look tomorrow, give anything that needs it a chance to dry out. I do have spare switchgear if needed.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted OTB chain adjusters https://www.takegawauk.co.uk/product-page/otb-chain-adjusters-msx125-msx125sf on the grom and OPMID engine temperature and voltage reader https://www.takegawauk.co.uk/product-page/opmid-op-top-indicator

Last edited by woo on 19:10 - 18 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I don’t have time or facilities to cope with dropping and stripping such a heavy and complex engine. They will be able to supply any bits it needs as well.

Sometimes you need to make that call. I've not yet, but at some point it'll happen, no doubt.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted the frame of my project GT250 (with a brush).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

You've got one of those? I had one once. Very good. It had done lots of miles, and everything was really slick but not worn out. I flogged it to a chap in Bedford, I think, maybe a town just north, and he left it in his garden with the plugs out and it siezed. Damn' shame.

What have I done to a bike?

RS3 125 right-hand fork, fitted new bush, which was a very tight fit inside the stanchion, refilled with oil (380cc of SAE 10).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
A100man wrote:

You've got one of those? I had one once. Very good. It had done lots of miles, and everything was really slick but not worn out. I flogged it to a chap in Bedford, I think, maybe a town just north, and he left it in his garden with the plugs out and it siezed. Damn' shame.

What have I done to a bike?

RS3 125 right-hand fork, fitted new bush, which was a very tight fit inside the stanchion, refilled with oil (380cc of SAE 10).

Yep. Believe it or not I was given it. Been sat in a garage for 16 years but before that it was sat outside. Had it running briefly then started to take apart. The aim is a mechanical recommission with as few new parts as possible. So far refurbed the brake caliper, cleaned carbs and two fuel tanks, new battery, points and and a replacement cylinder due to knackered exhaust threads. Modified GSX250 rear mudguard and GN250 seat to fit-ish. Had to strip frame to have a crack welded, so doing a quick wire brush and black paint job.

Town north of Bedford? Rushden??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted my first heated grips.

Two unexpected problems occurred:

1. The left bar end didn't want to come off. I tried taping the bar end to the grip to hold it in place. It was attached so hard that the screwdriver head shattered (it was not a cheap one either). In the end I got it off with a lot of tape and effort. No surprise it was stuck. The grip glue was all over the bar end as well as under the grip. That bolt was glued in.

2. The CBR650F throttle tube has a lip at either end and ridges along its length. I must have been filing that thing down half the afternoon (or that's what it felt like) just to get the grip to slide on.

The rest was easy, although there do seem to be a lot of wires to try to hide somewhere.

Toasty hands this morning were the reward.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Town north of Bedford? Rushden??

Yes. Does the place still smell of boot polish? Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:02 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre fitter told me that the ding in the wheel rim I got by hitting a brick at 50 (I was impressed with the amount of airtime the strumpet achieved even whilst I was still shitting myself) is an mot failure cause it was more than 2mm so when i got home with the wheel I went at it with my wide selection of hammers.

The ding now only sticks out about a quarter of a millimetre.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skid plate off, all side panels off, front sprocket guard off, front sprocket off (absolute bastard to loosen!), chain off, seat off.

Starting a few engine checks and will prep the bike over the winter to be ready for spring time.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
I don’t have time or facilities to cope with dropping and stripping such a heavy and complex engine. They will be able to supply any bits it needs as well.

Sometimes you need to make that call. I've not yet, but at some point it'll happen, no doubt.

yup, one day i'll learn that, so far the furthest thats gone is tyre changes though because i cant be arsed breaking a sweat with levers to save a fiver. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Gixxer for MOT. Passed.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week - Applied several layers of duct tape to radiator to increase the running temp. I am not going to have time to swap the new thermostat this week. She was only hitting 60, now hits 105 with a foul melty smell as its close to exhaust. Still takes far too long warming up so it is not an adequate fix.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took knobblies off and replaced with spare PR3 shod rims that came with the bike.

Swapped out chain (smaller rear sprocket), speedo cable (digital dash uses different methods depending on wheel) and front caliper (to accommodate larger disc).
Front rim has a massive disc compared to offroad rims.

All of which should make cold and wet tarmac a lot less sketchy for the next few months.

https://i.imgur.com/rLRJCts.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Sdg4cb.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR -
Replaced starter solenoid.
Fiddled with other electrics.
Oiled chain.

Work Rat -
Remounted air horn in a saner place.
Rerouted wiring for said horn.
Cleaned up hose routing.
Replaced T10 wedge bulbs in instruments.
Broke out the pinstriping tape.
Cleaned and oiled chain.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/YCxB6Mh0/IMG-20181126-013016.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9MK6mfN8/IMG-20181126-013055.jpg

Fit the lid, waterprroof as its a press fit with liquid rubber sealant.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed out the steering head bearings with paraffin, dried, regreased, refitted.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parked it in my dining room for winter.. I have so many things to do (brakes, filters, plugs, maybe valves too), way better to do them inside where it's warm and nice.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I got around to stripping down the R1 front calipers that I bought recently for either the FJ1200 or the FZR-R

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20181126_164451_zpsy6lxyrt1.jpg~original

I also drained the engine oil and removed the main oil filters that are washable from the KTM

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20181126_164507_zpshspmhfzx.jpg~original

I bought a box of FJ1200 parts during the year and included a shock absorber.So this was dismantled and the shock body damping working as it should.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20181126_164541_zpsfi6hfaqa.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Took knobblies off and replaced with spare PR3 shod rims that came with the bike.

Swapped out chain (smaller rear sprocket), speedo cable (digital dash uses different methods depending on wheel) and front caliper (to accommodate larger disc).
Front rim has a massive disc compared to offroad rims.

All of which should make cold and wet tarmac a lot less sketchy for the next few months.

https://i.imgur.com/rLRJCts.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Sdg4cb.jpg

I recognise that green lane Steve.Runs from Polesden Lacey down to Ranmore Common.

As for the Supermoto,do you mean you changed the caliper bracket rather than the caliper itself?
Also,those front wheel cables and in particular the brake hose banjo,can be adjusted so that it does not stick out as much.See the HEL website Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
Parked it in my dining room for winter..

Are we having Christmas dinner round the bike? Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washable oil filters are a thing??!
I've never heard of them - do they work as well as disposable filters?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

As for the Supermoto,do you mean you changed the caliper bracket rather than the caliper itself?

Yes you're right, caliper bracket was changed to extend for larger disc. Plus had the screw in speedo reader instead of the clip one I bought for the off road wheel.

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Also,those front wheel cables and in particular the brake hose banjo,can be adjusted so that it does not stick out as much.See the HEL website Thumbs Up Wink

OK, thanks. I've probably been a bit excessive in sticking out the speedo one in particular, just didn't want it pulling in too an acute angle and causing a breakage.

But it was definitely possible as you say because the bike arrived to me on these wheels + setup 2 years ago with the cables neatly and safely out the way, but I undid it then and didn't take any pictures at the time Rolling Eyes and didn't have the smarts this weekend to figure it out.

Cheers Tim Thumbs Up

Having just commuted in torrential rain, compared to knobblies, unsurprisingly loving the PR3's Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 324, 325, 326 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 325 of 409