Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serviced the Mash, should really have done it sooner..

New battery
New spark plug
Oil Change
New oil filter

No need to change the air filter, still clean

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday really.

Acquired a spare set of barrels for the 750 that were a little damaged hence I got them a fair bit cheaper and came with the 65mm pistons to take it up to 836 if I so wish.

Got a bit more £ back after they were apparently damaged in transit which wasn't really of any concern as I planned on fitting ductile steel liners anyway.

The damage.
https://i.imgur.com/eJHb4yB.jpg

Chucked them in the works oven at 85 degrees for about 20 minutes then proceeded to tap them out nice and easy.
https://i.imgur.com/7J2GDB6.jpg

3 of the fins on one side were also damaged so welded them back on (bottom left).
https://i.imgur.com/iz8bb9t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MSDjFqP.jpg

Little bit of filing and they should look as new, provided my contact in Middlesbrough gets in touch I should be able to get some NOS 836 rings so should only cost the new sleeves + machining of and soda blasting and I have an 836 kit for a quarter of the price.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YR5 is still being a bitch with this random ignition fault, it runs fine at idle and below 4K but then cuts out from time to time above that, it’s a bit concerning as the rev counter dies when it happens so I’m hoping it’s not a CDI fault. Anyway managed to run it for long enough to get a few runs with the new pipes, which has increased my annoyance as the difference is like night and day between the Jim Lomas pipes and the custom built replacements. Red is old pipes, for reference.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7922/46890984801_920aa618a1_z.jpg
[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

No hole at 5.5k, vast increase in torque, everything happening at a lower RPM. Where you see the torque start increasing rapidly, the thing was twisting and squirming on the dyno Shocked . Fuelling was pretty good, once we cure the issue with it shutting down at random there are likely improvements to be had with the ignition curve as it’s still structured to tail off at a higher peak RPM in line with the old pipes. Have to say I’m surprised how low the new pipes peak but that bodes well for piston and crank life.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the power curve. At first I thought why doesn't it continue but no - it'll prolong engine life for starters. The low down power will be awesome with no need to keep the thing spinning fast all the time.
I honestly didn't know that longer headers would do that - learnt something today!

Back in the day we'd tune our 2T 50, 100 & 125 bikes in any way we could, just to be able to go a bit faster and beat another bike from another village..

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be gains to be had in terms of lengthening the peak by fiddling with the advance curve, it’s going back on the dyno once the ignition fault is sorted for final fettling. But it’s impressive that peak power has stayed the same but come down 1000rpm. Probably need to fiddle with the gearing again.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice signature work there by Mr Abbey that's for sure! Do you think any of the difference in power delivery is due to going from stainless steel to mild steel pipes? Or is it all in the design/dimensions?

It's just that the Internet is full of people saying stainless steel don't work on a two stroke, which is odd when you think of how many pipes are made in stainless these days.

Looking forward to seeing how my TSA pipe works, but the local dyno place I used for a baseline I think has closed down, so ideally I need to find a two stroke savvy place with a Dynapro system for comparability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Some very nice signature work there by Mr Abbey that's for sure! Do you think any of the difference in power delivery is due to going from stainless steel to mild steel pipes? Or is it all in the design/dimensions?

It's just that the Internet is full of people saying stainless steel don't work on a two stroke, which is odd when you think of how many pipes are made in stainless these days.

Looking forward to seeing how my TSA pipe works, but the local dyno place I used for a baseline I think has closed down, so ideally I need to find a two stroke savvy place with a Dynapro system for comparability.

I think the improvements are down to the pipe design, not materials. I understand the reasoning behind using mild steel pipes but there are plenty of fast strokers running stainless chambers. My mate has just phoned me to say he’s found a blown fuse and melted fuse box so hopefully the issue was the Zeeltronic going into self preservation mode due to a wiring issue.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted repaired ignition barrel, TFR and jetwash, quick once-over and sorted out a weird problem that makes the right indicators flash at random rates.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was dreading this.. but it needs doing!
Started putting new (Pirelli) tyres onto it. A slight problem though was last time I took it out they'd gritted onto the hill tops and I realised too late. Combine that with bare polished metal everywhere including rims and it's gonna be an annoying job to sort out!

Front wheel off, old tyre off, clean and prep metal and then start polishing.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7829/46168323064_b3ac72508c_b.jpgRebuild time by Craig David, on Flickr

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:
Last Friday really.

Acquired a spare set of barrels for the 750 that were a little damaged hence I got them a fair bit cheaper and came with the 65mm pistons to take it up to 836 if I so wish.

Got a bit more £ back after they were apparently damaged in transit which wasn't really of any concern as I planned on fitting ductile steel liners anyway.

The damage.
https://i.imgur.com/eJHb4yB.jpg

Chucked them in the works oven at 85 degrees for about 20 minutes then proceeded to tap them out nice and easy.
https://i.imgur.com/7J2GDB6.jpg

3 of the fins on one side were also damaged so welded them back on (bottom left).
https://i.imgur.com/iz8bb9t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MSDjFqP.jpg

Little bit of filing and they should look as new, provided my contact in Middlesbrough gets in touch I should be able to get some NOS 836 rings so should only cost the new sleeves + machining of and soda blasting and I have an 836 kit for a quarter of the price.

Interesting read about the work on the barrels.I bought a set of Yoshi 836cc pistons from Dixon Racing back in the early '80s for my CB750F2 Special.As such I have some spare piston rings and some other bits and pieces in amongst a stack of other bike pieces Thumbs Up Wink

Have you had a read of my Honda 750 story?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Always have a 'Plan B'

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah f@@k it, turns out the running fault was some trapped wires behind the oil tank, unfortunately it has nuked the Zeeltronic unit, as soon as you put voltage across it it draws 20 amps and gets red hot. That’s £200 I didn’t really want to spend.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I gave it a bit of wash, not an intense one, just got ride of the inch layer of road shite then a quick acf 50 on some metal bits.

Cleaned the chain and put some gearbox oil on and realised it was slacker than .... a slack thing. Tightened her up ready for this morning's lovely cool commute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Interesting read about the work on the barrels.I bought a set of Yoshi 836cc pistons from Dixon Racing back in the early '80s for my CB750F2 Special.As such I have some spare piston rings and some other bits and pieces in amongst a stack of other bike pieces Thumbs Up Wink

Have you had a read of my Honda 750 story?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Indeed I have read the story of your 750 it was one of the primary motivators for buying one Very Happy.

I'll drop you a PM about those rings Thumbs Up.

I have debated going up to 900cc using donor pistons from another machine but I don't want to out-perform the cranks capabilities (or the braking and handling for that matter).

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the rear tyre. While it was off I cleaned and polished the wheel up. The swing arm was cleaned and then protected and the newly made up rear wheel put in. Rear caliper was dismantled, cleaned and put back together with new bits - must say though for a caliper they're bloody easy to do!

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I had a pair of Continental Road Attack 3's fitted to the GT's wheels, the few reviews online seem to rate them but scrubbing them in on snow is not happening... I took them in the car.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

New front sprocket fitted and new chain chopped to length - this year the bike will be geared more for road use.
Araldited a nut that fell out of the side of the (plastic) fuel tank back in. Annoying brass thing that helps hold panels on.
Front chain guard tidied, cleaned, polished and refitted.
Gear lever refitted.
Front wheel fitted back in.
Fork leg protectors removed, cleaned and refitted. The securing bolts are doing a galvanic reaction into the aluminium fork leg section - replaced them with different bolts to see how they get on.
Rebuilt both the front and rear calipers. OMG what a difference! They were fine but I did them anyway and now they're nice and sensitive. The levers are easy to move too.

Just need four side panels refitted and the seat bolted on and it's ready for better weather.
Also not keen on the original stickers on the side panels - they say 'CCM' and look dated/rubbish. Seriously tempted to just dump some black Plasti-Dip over them but keep the stickers underneath. Can peel off the coating if it looks naff..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR's:-
Removed stuff from parts bike - All going on working bike tomorrow.
Clutch stack, springs, pressure plate, non-cracked starter clutch, Master cylinder and clutch hose, Front and Rear sprockets (as far as I can tell, both are new). After that, wheels and stainless exhaust come off and she gets scrapped.

Work rat:-
Oil change. Clean and tensioned chain. Wiped excess road shit/salt off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:17 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusted the chain for the first time in 5000 miles/since about August.

Have I told you about how much I love scottoilers?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer.
Replaced master cylinder off spare bike. Which is worse than the one I took off. Seal/rebuild kit ordered for better cylinder. I'm not touching the clutch until then, as it's likely all of the issues were down to a very slightly leaky master.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped rear roadtec01 for a shiny new Road5. I couldnt break the second bead yesterday as the rubber was too cold, kept wheel in shed overnight to warm up and it was easy.
I note my reason for swapping is flawed - neither tire has any central tread or siping and will be somewhat shit in snow/icy slush, compared with a PR4 or PR3. It was punctured and Im hesitant to use a temp repair for any length of time.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Adjusted the chain for the first time in 5000 miles/since about August.

Have I told you about how much I love scottoilers?

Bit too often. A slight tweak whenever the rear wheel is disturbed is perfectly adequate. I refuse to buy a £130 scotoiller when a £4 squirty can does the job.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed the CB250 after last weeks snow, just took the top layer of drud off.
Adjusted the chain again, now I regret putting on a SWIFT chain... never again.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Bit too often. A slight tweak whenever the rear wheel is disturbed is perfectly adequate. I refuse to buy a £130 scotoiller when a £4 squirty can does the job.

Do you really think that your chain will last 5k miles without adjustment without being oiled continuously over the typical 25 mile journey?

Mine (new) cost £60 btw.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Do you really think that your chain will last 5k miles without adjustment without being oiled continuously over the typical 25 mile journey?

Mine (new) cost £60 btw.

It has and will continue to. Current chain was fitted in 2017 at 81260 miles and now at 107k ish, rear wheel has been out 3 times since with a tiny adjustment only. My commute and most journeys are 30 miles+. Oiled at 60-120 mile intervals with the squirty can.

mrr1
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

left and right heat shields for the nighthawk 650, both off fleabay in Murrikurr.
Black silicone to weatherproof new glass in hawks speedo.
Dodo juice spin doctor rotary polisher (30 quid cash converters Scunny) to spruce up the paintwork + rattle can of cherry red spray to redo hawks rear cowl in the bath (when missus next goes out and I've got enough time to sort the overspray with a brillo pad)

hein gericke fog lamps for the TDM

weird wrist throttle support thing for the Pan

out of date salad from the garage for the missus

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:50 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the Evotech tail tidy to the Panigale.

https://i.ibb.co/t8f0yfm/32672-F10-7-B79-4-B75-9827-948-A684445-A6.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 329 of 409