Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Today I mostly have only ridden to the Toolstation

Disappointed when you found it was a DIY shop?

You do seem a bit -ahem- more predatory since you've been riding that big vibey v-twin. I think you need to lay off it a bit Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
...pure filth...

Riding... Rope... Dead batteries. I'm not sure you're on about bikes at all after getting all worked up over builders and married men Laughing .

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Today I mostly have only ridden to the Toolstation

Disappointed when you found it was a DIY shop?

You do seem a bit -ahem- more predatory since you've been riding that big vibey v-twin. I think you need to lay off it a bit Laughing

It's a combination of somewhat unexpectedly finding myself ostensibly single again, and being back on the road. The vibeyness of the bike has nowt to do with it, although yeah, it does have an effect on one's self esteem when heads turn so often to see what is making all the noise Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not all that ruffty tuffty, I tried to get the oil cap off today to check the oil level (which was so diabolically low that I was tutted at most severely by the man who was "supervising" me last weekend) ... and I couldn't get it off, its just a twist and pull cap, nothing difficult.

So I'm feeling a bit weak and feeble.
Hopefully its not burning huge quantities of oil.
If I can't get it off myself, I'll get it looked at it this weekend.

Rolling Eyes

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a Motobatt..

.. after loosing the square nut for the current battery down one of the million crevices on the bike never to be seen again (and removed a handful of locknuts I didn't even know I'd dropped out of another crevice), and after a few hours of visiting various shops no one had one like it (seems they come with the battery and that's it).

Annoyed the neighbours with the grinder until I realised it was time to give up, mind. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/rFBdypkY/mehcanics.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the oil cap off.
Must have had a bit more energy this morning Laughing

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change front tyre on ETZ250. In the bin goes the worn Heidenau K39, and in goes a Mitas H-03.

Also- replaced chain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:17 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much, just ridden it through Poole and Bournemouth. Not ideal on a bike with such a heavy clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted brand new shocks, but didn't get a chance to test them. These shocks aren't inflatable but standard... The inflatable ones do work but they behave strangely.

When going over the bike, I spotted an issue. Clutch cable badly frayed (about half the strands snapped) near the clutch pivot rod. As I've had a clutch cable fail before, I'm really happy to have caught this in the nick of time. They go all of a sudden - one day they look perfect, the next there are a couple of frays in it, and it snaps completely after that. This will be an opportunity to replace it with a standard clutch cable and dispose of the hideously complex cassette mechanism (this bike has a system that stops you engaging gear with your side stand down).

New clutch cable on order. Took the opportunity to take out, check and reset my auto CCT. They don't make 'em like they did in the 80s. It seems to be holding up very well, but I still would much rather have a manual CCT.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
losing the square nut for the current battery down one of the million crevices on the bike never to be seen again

Telescopic magnet-on-a-stick tool FTW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Clutch cable badly frayed.

I had one let go on the way to work and was surprised to find that it is quite possible to complete a journey by clutchless shifting, moderating your speed with the prevailing traffic (so you don't have to stop at roundabouts, for example) and allowing the bike to stall where necessary. Luckily I was able to divert to my preferred bike shop just one mile away. As I recall, moving off required a bit of scooting followed by a clutchless shift and you're away. It was an anxious trip though.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I had one let go on the way to work and was surprised to find that it is quite possible to complete a journey by clutchless shifting, moderating your speed with the prevailing traffic (so you don't have to stop at roundabouts, for example) and allowing the bike to stall where necessary. Luckily I was able to divert to my preferred bike shop just one mile away. As I recall, moving off required a bit of scooting followed by a clutchless shift and you're away. It was an anxious trip though.

In a pinch, these will work if your cable has snapped off near the end:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HnoAAOSwGvhUCC~m/s-l300.jpg

You can just fish out the copper connector bit from the plastic, and attach it to the remains of your cord with a small screwdriver. I once did this to repair a broken throttle cable on the driveway of someone's mansion near Fifield. Laughing Nice bloke and very understanding - offered to bring me his tools and everything. Had to hurry, as the sun was going down, but I managed to put the airbox back, the tank back on, my filthy, greasy hands back in gloves, etc. Not a job I fancy doing again.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Began a partial strip down. The engine (or something) makes an intermittent strange sound and it needs resolving.
Will be checking down as far as inner flywheel and inner clutch area.

Today I removed the side plastic casings from front and rear and also the seat. Then I began the painfully slow full oil draining process - this bike uses a separate dry sump as well as various pipes. It was due an oil and filter change anyway and I need to reach and clean an inline mesh oil filter that sits within the frame.

I think this will be a mini saga for the forum and so I'm also recording it with photos. I'll create an appropriate thread for people to follow.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled both exhaust studs that a PO had fucked up. Managed to helicoil one to M6, bit had to resort to doing a straight 8x1.25 tap on the other due to clearance, or a lack of it. No more blowing though, so it should be good.

Noticed front tyre has a really weird wear pattern which would explain the (slight) juddering under braking, despite the discs being taken off and measured flat to 0.1mm. spare will get fitted tomorrow, weather permitting.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the Fairings fitted. Mostly happy, the blue in the middle is not quite correct but I can live with it. Now just need some NoS Micron badges to rebuild the can and powdercoat the wheels (in the flesh the wheels look 100 times worse than the photo).

Also not sure if the black screen looks crap, got used to blue ones.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48686898028_40abcb6fee_k.jpg

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1200s flied through the MOT, time for a service this weekend. Then I think it's going up for sale Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Also not sure if the black screen looks crap, got used to blue ones.

Well you have the black of the wing mirrors and seat so personally I wouldn't say it looks out of place.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work rat, Replaced sprocket carrier bearing, I've only been putting it off for, oh, 9 months.

Obligatory chain clean, lube, tension as the wheel was off.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/qRyP9Gwk/IMG-20190906-233320.jpg

New discs fitted. 0.006mm runout on the right disc, down from 1.65mm on the used-bent-ebay disc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new clutch cable, and went for a long ride with the new shocks fitted. Much better! Feel more in contact with everything, the pogo-stick effect is completely gone, the tyre is in contact with the road all the time, etc. Not as comfortable as with the air shocks, but I'm pleased the wallowy vagueness has gone, and it now feels and behaves more like a bike than a boat when turning (don't have to tell myself to let it move around and do its thing). Looks like the front shocks are next in line for an overhaul, or I might just drop the forks slightly in the yokes.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it mostly back together following a major oil service (internal mesh filter etc). Have ordered two washers that belong in the oil circuit - they were missing! I can't use the bike until they arrive.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the Viffers idle jets - again.
She was running on 3, so I stripped airbox off completely. Got in all the nooks and crannies, made sure nothing could drop back in. Took her out for a stomp, and it seems to have stayed clear. Pic is during - she ended up a lot cleaner than that.
https://i.imgur.com/TUo6dc3l.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set all the RC8's suspension to stock, then reduced tyre pressures from 50psi (wtf) to 36.
Good old PDI routine from the dealer didn't pick that up.

Seems smoother, unsurprisingly.

Next up, aftermarket clutch slave as the action is grabby and requires a fair effort.
Parts on order.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted the scratches on the scooter that needs to go. Now I have a scooter with black scratches for sale and no takers.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have I done to my bike today?

Washed vomit off it after a woman started blowing chunks onto the floor / pavement / bike.
I’ve never needed to borrow a bucket from a cafe to wash a motorbike clean of pavement pizza. Stinking cow!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 348 of 409