Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Thin metal welding is difficult. It will need someone with more than just a stick welder.

Thank-you for the info, probably flog on cheap eventually. Thumbs Up

~

Last night, after work, I did discover the £140-150 screw (and a long bastard it is too). Wub

Recovered and then managed to plug it with a variation of methods today (stop and go, and something else) but looks a mess and it went into the tyre in the groove at a slant meaning it caused a right old mess (as opposed to a straight puncture, sort of ripped the rubber apart in various places causing loads of little holes).

Decided to go with a new PR4 so I don't end up having to wait for recovery again. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/Twcvs4bS/20200114-101722.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:29 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Fuck me ragged....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Thin metal welding is difficult. It will need someone with more than just a stick welder.

From the look of it, I reckon I'd be in with a fighting chance, with 1.6mm rods. Welding 1mm-thick steel: no way; welding 1.5mm: very tricky indeed. Anything thicker than that, OK but messy. Wink

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New chain and sprockets fitted to the CBF1000.

Emergency surgery as the old chain was disintegrating before my eyes. Rollers had started to disappear and I could feel it flapping and wobbling through the foot rests. Even with careful adjusting it flapped about enough to cut through the Scottoiler line where I'd run it over the swingarm.

From the way it felt I thought the sprocket carrier bearing had gone, but when I took the wheel off all the bearings were good. Just that the chain was so shocking.

The old chain had done 48,964 miles which is a record for me, but seriously not recommended. Probably lucky to have got away with the last thousand miles.

The bike is now on a venerable 110k miles. Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fuck me ragged....

Glad it deflated while parked, no idea where I picked it up or how long it had been there. Mate figured someone had put it in while parked up but didn't seem that way since I had to spin the wheel on the stand to find it (rather than it being glaringly obvious when parked).

Shame I've got to replace since the repair has held since this morning, but not worth taking the chance on given it took a fair bit of bodge to get bunged. Lets hope someone has use for a damaged tyre to re-coup some pennies. Laughing

~

Serendipity wrote:
The bike is now on a venerable 110k miles.

Makes me feel better about mine being on 56,000. Two dealers I spoke to so far seem allergic to high mileage bikes.

Not quite sure I'm fond of the throttle response at times.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:13 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it in for its mot. 4th year in a row its passed first time.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blandit 400.

When I bought it it was sold as a none runner, backfiring and not going above 4000RPM.
In the paperwork was a receipt for £450 for a full carb rebuild. Odd it still wasnt running right.

Today I found the culprit. The wrong spark plugs were fitted.

A quick trip to Hellfrauds and the correct plugs bought.

It now runs like a new bike!!

https://i.imgur.com/oHzkHEj.jpg?1

Next on the list is fork seals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed fork oil and seals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:11 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Changed fork oil and seals.

And not the bushes?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Next on the list is fork seals.

Result.

He's got a job advertised for a mechanic so must be low on man power vs what's coming through the door (seems an easy one to miss, or an easy chance to increase sale price), so tempting but so far. Crying or Very sad

Keep updating, nice to see it progress. Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake pads, they should have been changed about 2mm of metal ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started it up, rode it to the sorting office for my parcel, went to McDonalds for breakfast, and rode it back again.

No gloves, bit cold.
Nice sunny morning : only a mile there and a mile back, thinks I, donning some trainers and a warm woolly cardi.

Surprised I still had any feeling in my hands by the time I got back Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I have no regard for personal safety

No gloves and wearing trainers Shocked

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Result.

He's got a job advertised for a mechanic so must be low on man power vs what's coming through the door (seems an easy one to miss, or an easy chance to increase sale price), so tempting but so far. Crying or Very sad

Keep updating, nice to see it progress. Thumbs Up

The carb work wasnt done there as far as I can tell, it was just part ex'd for a gladius. The bike shop dude couldnt be arsed to work on it so shoved it out as a none runner trade clearance.

Today we found its not charging the battery, luckily a spare TL1000 reg rec fits with a little modification to the mounting bracket.

Looking through the paperwork it was MOT'd in june last year for which it had:- tyres, front wheel bearing, front and rear pads, chain and sprockets. It's done 300 miles since if the clocks are to be believed.
I won a set of standard clocks on ebay to replace the bodged on R6 dash.
So tomorrow I will drop the forks, do the seals and strip the dash out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

No gloves and wearing trainers Shocked

Yep.
Been that way since 1997.
Ain't gonna change now.
When I get scraped up off the pavement and have gravel brushed out of me with a wire brush, I'll try and remember not to complain too loudly.

I do have gloves ... somewhere.
I just couldn't find one of them yesterday.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat, not giving a fuck since, well, for ever....

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do give a fuck about stuff.
Just not the stuff other people think I should give a fuck about.
Rolling Eyes

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine guard parts, for project bike.

https://i.ibb.co/kMxMWMN/20200117-181739.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After yesterdays sorting of it cutting out at idle, I washed the grubby fingerprints off and slapped somne ACF50 and wax on the work bike. Cleaned and oiled chain, no adjusting needed. Put a touch of air into the reary tyre.

Looked at the VFR, wiped it down, put it away.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
New chain and sprockets fitted to the CBF1000.

Emergency surgery as the old chain was disintegrating before my eyes. Rollers had started to disappear and I could feel it flapping and wobbling through the foot rests. Even with careful adjusting it flapped about enough to cut through the Scottoiler line where I'd run it over the swingarm.

From the way it felt I thought the sprocket carrier bearing had gone, but when I took the wheel off all the bearings were good. Just that the chain was so shocking.

The old chain had done 48,964 miles which is a record for me, but seriously not recommended. Probably lucky to have got away with the last thousand miles.

The bike is now on a venerable 110k miles. Thumbs Up

Nearly 50k miles from one set of chain and sprockets??

A record for you? That's probably the most I've ever heard from one set!

ಠ_ಠ

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greased the rear brake pedal; and because I own a Honda that means, of course, the exhaust and pannier rack have to be removed too in order to get to it. I think the design departments brief when sketching this bike was "this part must be serviced by an authorised Honda dealership. Laughing"

Warning for future CBF1000 owners: technique overrules simplicity where mechanics are concerned. Much of the time is spent removing parts you didn't want to.

Also fitted some rubber exhaust bracket sleeves I got from eBay to make the exhaust look a little bit more visually pleasing (cable ties because little big bigger than needed and kept flapping around attempting to install exhaust).

https://i.postimg.cc/k5BjQDnk/o0.jpg

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Nearly 50k miles from one set of chain and sprockets??

A record for you? That's probably the most I've ever heard from one set!

The chain and rear sprocket had done that mileage, but, for full disclosure, I replaced the front sprocket a year and 12k miles ago as it was getting badly hooked:

"What have you done to your bike today" post about front sprocket

The rear sprocket was worn, but not badly out of shape. The 12k old front sprocket was starting to hook, but wasn't that bad. The chain was just hands-down fvcked.

I run with a Scottoiler and fill it with normal engine oil. I've always got decent life out of chains with Scottoilers, but I probably pushed this one a little further out of necessity. I was doing some building work and had limited access to tools and an area to work on the bike.

Also I'm sure the smooth power delivery of the CBF1000 is kinder to chains. And my commute distance is 50% fast motorway, 40% speed limited A road, then only 10% stop start urban. I suspect having less opportunities for traffic light GP starts helps chain and tyre longevity.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 24 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday fork seal clean as the right was starting to weap and left was a proper leak. Clean it up, once with the tool, 30 pumps and done. However the oil looks old grey and emulsified from the extreme recent rain, they need new fluid soon.

Was leaking enough that rear tyre was spinning up on corners with mild throttle. Pr4's and 5's are usually resistant to oils but fork oil is different, far more slippery.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:04 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a Denali soundbomb mini as my OE horn was impotent.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress on project bike.

Yokes re-finished and fitted, with new roller bearings. As the upper and lower are from 2 different models of bike, I don't know for sure if these will line up perfectly to hold the forks. So far, it looks like it might be OK.

https://i.ibb.co/2PkJZSY/yokes.jpg

Stripped all of the rust and most of the paint from a new (to me) swingarm, ready for primer.

https://i.ibb.co/52gcKdm/bare-swingarm.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 359 of 409