Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

buying a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

In4Tria
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:44 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: buying a new bike Reply with quote

I'm on a student budget and i'm interested in a £200-300 Road bike.
I don't have the first clue on what is the best bike for this price range. I had a look for triathlon bikes which are too expensive for me.

I'm currently just looking for a beginners bike that will do me for a year or two as I train and take part in my first few triathlons.

Info:
21 year old male
Height: 6ft
happy to look at new or 2nd hand bikes

would love some advice and opinions on what bikes would best suit me.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:59 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Re: buying a new bike Reply with quote

As you've found out, this is only a small section on a motorbike forum.

However... first off, I'd be looking at second hand bikes.

At the right time of year (end of season) there's good deals that'll you get a decent enough bike for £300, but now you're pretty limited.

The Triban 3 is the one bike that does keep getting recommended at that price point - albeit for a 'normal' road bike rather than a tri bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:08 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go second hand for that sort of money.

Cyclists are total kit junkies and sell perfectly good bikes all the time.

Keep an eye on ebay for local bikes pickup only, your local free-ads and notices in your local bike shop.

If there are any sportives locally, worth popping down as people will often advertise a bike for sale in the carpark/assembly area. This has a real advantage in that there is usually a mobile bike repair guy in attendance who you can get to give it a once-over before buying.

The olympics bandwagon jumpers will be looking out of the window at snow and wondering why they spent £1000+ on a racer bike round about now so I expect there will be some bargains to be had over the next few months.

In4Tria
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:55 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, I have been recommended the Triban 3 multiple times now so i'm going in to the store as the old model is sold out online and the line is being discontinued.

They have the Triban 3 A but the specs have been decreased and i would imagine this is because of the success of the triban 3 in comparison to their more expensive models.

anyway i phoned my local store and they still have 6 of the original Tribans left.
I have one last question?
is their any room to negotiate with price with this company? mad for a barter.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:56 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt it - but can't hurt to try!
They might be looking to clear stock.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1