Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine dies when clutch is released!??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Newb123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:09 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Engine dies when clutch is released!?? Reply with quote

Hi folks

After too many years on 4 wheels, I finally made the jump.. and already I have tech issues! Brick Wall

I just bought a Kawasaki Eliminator Bn125 (waits for the laughter to subside... hey, I like it!) which unfortunately spends much of it's time sitting around under a cover, due to work. It was serviced and MOTd (I'm told) just before I took hold of it and up to now has started and ridden very nicely.

Having had some decent weather I started it up this morning, started fine with a bit of choke and idled well. After a good warm up period I went to pull away but as soon as I released the clutch the revs died and so did the bike! It doesn't matter how much you rev the throttle, as soon as you release the clutch it fades and dies. I'm not stalling it I can assure you, a mate has tried it too and he's been riding for 30 odd years.

The kickstand switch has been bypassed by a previous owner, I've moved the bike around and the brakes aren't binding, it revs fine, starts fine, idles fine.. but it cuts out as soon as you release the clutch! There is no spluttering or anything either.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thumbs Up

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypassed switch? Is it no faulty? If hes done a bad job it may have failed?

But this would happen when its knocked into gear not when you let the clutch out.

What sort of sound dose it make when it splutters?

Seems like a fueling issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it only cuts out when you put it in gear and release clutch i would say its the sidestand switch. You need to have a look at it.

Newb123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your time J4ck

It's not actually spluttering, it just cuts out. Doesn't lurch forward like it would if I stalled it (I know that feeling too well!).

The best way I can describe it, if you give it plenty of revs and then partially release the clutch then squeeze it again it sounds as though you're throttling on and off, if that makes any sense? But if you fully release the clutch, the bike doesn't even move forward, it just dies.

The bypass looks pretty solid and as you say, it continues to run fine when you select 1st gear. I've tried pulling away in 2nd too as a process of elimination but that was the same.

I hadn't ruled out a fuel issue from experience with car engines. I'd be unsure where to start with a bike though in all honesty! Confused

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the clutch needs adjusting? My NC30 had very similar problems which vanished after I tweaked the cable.

Newb123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:52 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Whitedevil, that was my initial thought. I went to carry out the bypass myself which was when I realised it had already been done. It looks pretty sound to me.

Shereen, what did you actually do in terms of "tweaking" the clutch cable? Apologies if that sounds daft but as the name suggests, this is all pretty new to me.

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newb123 wrote:
Thanks guys

Whitedevil, that was my initial thought. I went to carry out the bypass myself which was when I realised it had already been done. It looks pretty sound to me.

Shereen, what did you actually do in terms of "tweaking" the clutch cable? Apologies if that sounds daft but as the name suggests, this is all pretty new to me.

Does your bike have a cable adjuster - like this:

https://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/Clearancelines/ClutchCable02_zps6101291a.jpg

Newb123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:02 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your bike have a cable adjuster - like this:

https://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/Clearancelines/ClutchCable02_zps6101291a.jpg[/quote]

Yes it does! Thumbs Up

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the switch on the clutch lever?

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newb123 wrote:
shereen wrote:

Yes it does! Thumbs Up

At the other end of this cable you'll have a locknut. Turn the screw/bolt and you'll notice the freeplay going up or down at the clutch lever. Turn it a little at a time as a couple of turns can make a big difference.

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your bike also has a switch at the clutch lever, part number 27010, maybe this has failed or stuck?

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-2002-bn125-a5-eliminator-125_model15046/partslist/49772.html#results

Newb123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, all sorted! Very Happy

Yen_powell, I missed your post last night, apologies! I wasn't aware there was a kill switch on the clutch lever too. A bit of creative wiring and Bob's your mother's brother, no more issue!

Thanks very much to all of you, really appreciate your time. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1