Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cornering Shizzle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:05 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Cornering Shizzle Reply with quote

i believe my cornering is...pants

i have a habit, like im sure a lot of people do, of not looking far enough through the corner, i tend to focus on the opposite curb or at the road surface just in front of me...

when/if i try to look to the vanishing point of the corner, i feel out of control in a way, i feel like im drifting wide or will hit the inside curb and it generally doesnt inspire confidence, however i believe looking through the corner is the way its sposed to be done, especially in the event of going in too hot and having to lean it further over to make it

any advice please as this has been bothering me of late
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 02:31 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the same mate, all it took was a bit of roundabout bashing and re-riding the same roads over and over getting the corners better each time. The confidence builds up quickly enough and you start to take most corners better. You'll probbaly be better on the CBR, purely beacuse they're so good at cornering.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:03 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 'general rule' to remember for corners on the road....

If the vanshing point is approaching you, then the corner is tightening and you should be slowing down.
If the vanishing point is moving away from you the corner is opening up and you can speed up.

Other than that, not sure really, never had those sorts of worries.
Are you actually drifting nearer the corner or just thinking you are?

You could come do some trackdays to get the confidence up though Razz.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure i have felt like that. ive only been ridina about 1/2 year. ive noticed;

1, Some times the timing of looking through the corner, (and then consequently the act of leaning the bike down) is importamnt. think about it, if you look into the bend too late your bike will bike will not run on the line you may want. Run wide

2. Obviously where you look you go. imagine your eyes are a gunsight. You are very accurate, as to where you look you go. All it can take is a second or two of looking the wrong way, and it can go wrong. say to your self, speak to yourslef. "Im looking x..." or "i should be concentrating on the exit/over there". This speaking to yourself will help you to realise how, and why you are going wrong.

Leaning the bike. im using countersteer sometimes, to help adjust my lines, if they ever need adjusting.

basically id say, its important the timing or looking where you are going, in relation to the stage in the corner...

The focusing on the exit, remember your eyes are highly accurate guns, where you point them your bike will go...Conciously think that, and eventually it will became instinct...

cant realy say much more. Make sure you have the bike sufficiently leaned for the bend/speed as well. i noticed if i am weary about leaning the bike over, it will run wide/not go on the right line...

if in doubt slow down, and practice...

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:16 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think if I've ever really been on a real ride with you to comment on your riding goose.

Though tbh I don't think you are a bad rider, maybe your confidence has just taken a beating since been on ships for a while and not having a bike that would perform like the 250.

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
im using countersteer sometimes

You always use counter steering to turn (unless your going really slow). Why do people get so hung up on this whole how do I counter steering/I use counter steering stuff? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You always use counter steering to turn (unless your going really slow). Why do people get so hung up on this whole how do I counter steering/I use counter steering stuff?

Ok, i sometimes use countersteer CONCIOUSLY. Not to lean the bike over into the bend (do somtimes though), but to fine tune my bikes line, when the bike is over for example...

Everyone uses countersteer, you need to, you just dont relalise it, as Hex is saying.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:20 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

You always use counter steering to turn (unless your going really slow). Why do people get so hung up on this whole how do I counter steering/I use counter steering stuff? Confused

To be fair a lot of people don't realise they do it.
I told my mum about it and she didn't realise that you do do it... she's been riding for at least 30 years now, probably more.

The thing is more that people don't realise that you can actively use counter steering to change direction quickly.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:24 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

To be fair a lot of people don't realise they do it.
I told my mum about it and she didn't realise that you do do it...

I guess, either that or they don't realise that it has a name?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:28 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

I guess, either that or they don't realise that it has a name?

A lot of people do just seem to think they 'go round corners' and it does suprise people if you tell them about pushing the bars the wrong way etc.

Oh and another thought for goose... how tense are you? Your arms should be relaxed, ideally with your fore-arms parrellel to the ground. Tensing up causes the bike's handling to worsen and makes it harder to make adjustments to your line etc.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a problem target fixating etc when you go too fast into a corner.

I crashed the R6 because of it and it's sort of kicked me up the arse a bit and a few times now I've found myself automatically looking around the corner if I go in too fast and I make it through.

Yesterday when we all pulled into an industrial estate trying to find stockley there was a left hander, I was following bendy but was going a bit too fast for the corner and thought I were gonna drop it, all I did was go a bit wide (thank god nowt coming other way) because I managed to look around.

Although I don't reccomend crashing as a way to learn how to look around the corner Laughing

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:25 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably didn't help that I cocked that corner up too. Embarassed

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 12:30 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out this morning on my recently purchased bike and can feel inside that I am a little nervous and wobbly on it and my corners are not as confident as I remember.

I think when you get like this it is time to go back to basics. Nice, slow, smooth riding. Instead of trying to challenge yourself into going to quick and doing something silly.

The usual reason for going wide is due to the fact you are going more quickly into a corner than you are capable of dealing with. If you are having problems with where you are looking, back off on the power and try to rectify that first.

As I am a little nervous of my new beasty, my corners are very slow, I am focusing on my road position to give me maximum view and also am very consciously thinking about where I am looking. Like Claud said, talking to yourself helps. And finally a very gentle application of power to ride out of the corner with.

I find I am most happy with the smooth corners than the fast not so smooth ones, if you see what I mean. I think practice that and the speed will come later.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wonderful (and, ahem, swift) ride back from Cadwell on Friday on the back roads towards my place. (Good to meet you all guys, will post in the Cadwell thread in a second)

I found that I was looking through the corners a lot more and was doing a lot, lot better because of it. I wentwith a couple of mates to a bike meet the other week and had a couple of moments as I suddenly got fixated on the fast approaching grass verg coming towards me, instead of looking through the corner at where I should have been heading for!

Definately better to judge the corner early and look through it.

I still need loads more practice though. Just a great excuse to get out on the bike as often as possible!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 12:38 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Probably didn't help that I cocked that corner up too. Embarassed

Nah it was my fault, wasn't concentrating (was a bit hot after riding around in traffic getting lost) and didn't realise how tight the corner was Shocked Did you see the blokes standing by that car though? they gave me funny look Mr. Green

When you filtered past me at the lights I nearly dropped my bike sideways as you made me jump LaughingLaughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:45 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if you don't know a road very well, especcially B or unclassified roads you have to tread very carefully. There is the road near us where it seems like you are going round a nice Sweeping cornver, when all of a sudden it tightens drastically.

Scary Stuff

But the worst thing to do in that situation is brake, it just straightens the bike up and then you are really fooked. Just slow down well before a corner, especcially if you see "SLOW" painted on the road, it is usually there for a good reason.
Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
Did you see the blokes standing by that car though? they gave me funny look Mr. Green

When you filtered past me at the lights I nearly dropped my bike sideways as you made me jump LaughingLaughing

Certainly did. Didn't really intend to come round there on the wrong side of the road, as you can imagine. :S

And yeah, I realised I'd given you a fright (hence the wave) - thought you'd left the gap for me to get into as the car behind me was starting to move, then just saw you start to move as well and decided I'd rather be hit by you than the Mercedes. Very Happy I blame Rob.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I wasn't having a go so don't worry, I should have looked before moving away anyway hehe.

Blame rob for everything, he rides a Triumph so should expect it Wink (sorry Rob only joking mate lol)

By the way, cliff nearly flipped his bike doing a wheely on the way back, he tried to wheely off the lights and went very sideways, dropped his feet of the pegs and looked a tad scared Mr. Green was funny as fuck but luckily he stayed on the bike.

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

information is the most important bit to cornering. if you get the information part of a corner wrong you fooked whatever. never use front brake while in a corner only rear if you need to slow down. always make sure you know what road surface is like as there may be a pothole halfway round. also when i corner i try to keep my weight vertical with the bike, i watch some of my friends and they either try to push the bike around or lean to far and and push the bike back up Shocked just try corners slow to start with and then speed up more and more. also if you have the spare time and money get an advanced rider police course, because they are the guys which know what they are doing, track days are useless for getting round real road corners.

Quote:
"fo shizzle ma nizzle" is a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother"

so really your tittle say 'cornering sure' which makes no sense. sorry i just dont like it when people misuse language so much :S no offence meant tho Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think someone dropped the forks on mine to make it szteer 'quicker' but it just makes it flappy, especially if you hit overbanding etc when lent over. But ive opnly had one incident or so of going abit fast round a bend, was at night, got dazzled by oncoming car on the A507 (brill road and my favourite round these parts) so didnt see the catseyes start to curve and it was PITCHblack out, saw the curve just looked where i wanted to go and sorta hung everything i could off the right hand side and lent it over. It kept in check but only just.

My personal cornering gripe atm tho is on country lanes where theres a lovely straight and then a 90 degree bend literally no sweep just 90 degree bend, but because some twat built a house right opposite so theres no sharp bend signs. Last night i went for a ride, long straight, thought hang about theres a sharp bend coming up if i recall and started braking (engine, back and front) to about 30 odd to be safe from 80 ish. Only just got down by the time i came to the bend. I shudder to think how many poor bastards go through their front room windows in winter.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limit points

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 15:02 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
Limit points

?
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One 'general rule' to remember for corners on the road....

If the vanshing point is approaching you, then the corner is tightening and you should be slowing down.
If the vanishing point is moving away from you the corner is opening up and you can speed up.

G puts it short and sweet, there....

basically, what G said, add that to; always allow enough braking distance for the disance you can see (ie round a bend).

As you approach, you should make sure you always have enough space for you to brake in time. slow down and you will have more time to brake. this is use on bends where you cannot see through a lot. i cant really explain it properly...

get this book caled "roadcraft (motorbike)" from a library. good advances/police riding reading...

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:20 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Thumbs Up

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/011341143X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

yes i have heard that it is a very good book as well, i must go and get a copy i think Smile

Quote:
These are the 5 stages of taking corners based on the Police Roadcraft manual:
Information
Position
Speed
Gear
Acceleration

like i said, most people screw up on information :s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:36 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose,
I know this sounds really silly, but I have been trying this lately and it works really well.

Basically when you are looking out at the vanishing point of the corner and you are cranked over, you need to keep your head bolt upright. This allows you to concentrate on the bike rather than your body.

I read this recently in Bike mag, and it struck me like a bolt of lightning. 'How logical!' I thought. And when I remember to try it, it does remove a certain amount of disorientation from getting it cranked over. I found that I do it automatically on track but Don't tend to think about it on the road. Maybe its because I'm not worrying about body positioning at all on the road...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1