Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125 Varadero Idle Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: 125 Varadero Idle Problem Reply with quote

Hi guys, first post from a new rider here - hoping to get some advice for what I hope is a newb problem Confused

I bought a second-hand 2004 varadero 125 4 days ago. Been going great for the first 3 days, done about 50 miles, certainly not ragging it. But of yesterday I can't seem to get it warmed up, or at least it won't idle with the throttle closed!

I pull the choke right out, then try to start it electronically. It won't start without a bit of gas. So I keep my hand on the gas at say 1500rpm for a few minutes. As soon as I close the throttle (even very gently rolling it off) it cuts out (once it gets down to 1000rpm).

Another thing is the revs jump around randomly while it's running with my hand on the gas (I'm pretty sure I'm keeping my hand steady ...) This seems pretty unusual - surely a recognisable symptom? The temperature gauge was up to 2 bars which seems fairly warm (I'm guessing as I don't have the manual)?

Might be worth mentioning - I was riding it in the rain for a good couple of hours before this happened, so I'm not sure if water could have got into anything. I also fuelled it up on the same day - perhaps something bad got into the tank.

I've read that this kind of problem might mean the carb needs cleaning out, but this seems odd as it's only just been serviced (although I think it had been sat around for a while previously) and this problem only suddenly came about after it was going just fine yesterday.

The place I bought it from said they'd fitted a new battery, and I've been careful not to run it down (in case that could be related).

Hoping for advice on anything further I can check or even fix myself (entirely inexperienced with bike maintenance) without having to push it 3 miles to a repair shop just to find it's a newb issue!

Cross-posted this to the varadero forum but hoping to get help here as it could just be a general bike thing.

Thanks in advance!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:35 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, get it on choke, go for a ride for a few minutes then turn the choke off. Keep riding the bike around for another 10-15 mins and then pull over.

Your idle should be 1400 - 1500 rpm, aim for the lower end so 1450rpm is ideal. If its low, turn it up, if its high, turn it down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:37 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if any service would ever include cleaning out the carb jets Neutral
Carb jets do tend to block up from sediment left behind by evaporating fuel over time, always a problem
if a bike has been standing and the evaporated fuel in the carb is being constantly topped up from the tank.

It would be well worth dropping the float bowl off and inspecting the idle and main circuit jets.
Do this in a bowl or over a large white sheet so you can ensure anything that drops out can be found easily.

This video that came up on a quick search... should give you an idea of which brass bits you need to remove and check.
Do not poke the jets orifices with anything metal as they damage easily - a cocktail stick is fairly safe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqw8tYDUbw

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the above... they are a complete wang to get off. You need to remove the tank, which means the side fairings and the seat.

About 40 minutes just to get to the damn carbs, then they are a pain to get back in Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:09 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think Paddy's first reply is the answer and it'll sort itself out with riding a bit. Isn't it unusual though to have to pin the throttle open for the first mile or two while idling at lights/junctions (with the revs bouncing around weirdly in my case? :-S) Maybe it would sort itself out this way, I really don't know.

Taking the bike to bits - I'd have a crack if I had a garage and more spare time, but the bike's on a public road 5 minute's walk from my house. Perhaps fiddling with the carb isn't a good first project - I'm bound to funk it up and be off the road for a good while :-/

I can see myself walking it to the repair shop in the end Sad On the bright side I'll be glad to get problems like this sorted in time for summer Smile

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

browland wrote:
I'd like to think Paddy's first reply is the answer and it'll sort itself out with riding a bit. Isn't it unusual though to have to pin the throttle open for the first mile or two while idling at lights/junctions (with the revs bouncing around weirdly in my case? :-S) Maybe it would sort itself out this way, I really don't know.

Taking the bike to bits - I'd have a crack if I had a garage and more spare time, but the bike's on a public road 5 minute's walk from my house. Perhaps fiddling with the carb isn't a good first project - I'm bound to funk it up and be off the road for a good while :-/

I can see myself walking it to the repair shop in the end Sad On the bright side I'll be glad to get problems like this sorted in time for summer Smile

put you location in your profile somone might be willing to travel to help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GreyFox
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Browland, I have had some minor niggles with the Varadero before regarding idle and starting choke position. Since you can at least get it started, try the following...

If the temp gauge is only showing 2 bars, she isn't warmed up yet. Get her running around until showing 4 bars on the display, probably ten minutes or so according to the official owner's manual, then pull over. Dismount and keep her turning over with a bit of throttle if necessary. Make sure it's in neutral!

On the pre fuel injection Varadero engine there is an 'idle speed adjuster' located just below the choke knob. try adjusting this to achieve around 1.5k rpm with no hand on the throttle. Clockwise for faster, anti-clockwise for slower. Small moves, let the engine settle between times. Hopefully that will be your idle problem fixed.

For starting from cold, fuel on, choke all the way out, 5 slow windings of the throttle, pulled all the way back and then all the way back to closed. Choke to half-way and then spark the ignition. I have found this technique starts the Varadero most times, whether sub zero or just restarting from warm. You may have to blip the throttle and adjust the choke a little, but this should work. If not, I'd take the bike to a mechanic.

Also, check Amazon or equivalent for the Haynes manual and the official owner's manual. I'm no mechanic either, but they at least help with basic maintenance and diagnosis of problems.

Good luck... Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:54 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only in London, if you fancy a ride to Maidstone, more than happy to look at it for you, in turn you can take the CBR for a spin. Its like a loaner for people that have work done Laughing

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:33 - 15 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GreyFox for the advice and also Paddy!

Unfortunately the problem seems to have got worse today. It will only start with the choke fully out (which I was doing before) and with the gas quarter-on. Then it revs wildly by itself (as though fuel mixture is not flowing smoothly) and eventually cuts out after less than a minute.

I tried the winding of the throttle trick with starting it on half-choke but couldn't start it at all that way.

It's distinctly unhappy Sad

There's a place near me which does recovery so I'll give them a call or maybe I'll walk it over there at the weekend.

At least now I know it should be on 4 bars when warm!

Edit: Haynes manual already ordered from Amazon - should be delivered tomorrow Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty basic, where are you in London?

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike idles at 2.8kish that gets annoying!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=269380

This guy had similar problems, had to ride with choke, idling erratically, happened while riding in rain.

Someone replied saying it may have be water getting into electrics, water getting into spark plug tunnels and drain the float bowls.

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been too busy with work to look more into this. This morning I had some time to fiddle about, and ... oh dear ... I'd committed the most elementary mistake concerning the fuel tap Rolling Eyes What a nobster! I was sure it was in the right position but maybe I was fiddling about with it at some stage or I was the victim of a practical joke ...

Anyway, no more terrible fuel flow (unsurprisingly) but I still have to hold the throttle open to keep it idling. So back to the original problem. Held the throttle open for about 5 minutes - holding revs steady at around 2k - temp never got higher than 1 bar which is perhaps normal. If I roll off the throttle the engine will die. Had to give up and cycle into work at that point.

I'm no longer concerned this is a major problem though.

Maybe I just need to ride it and slip the clutch to keep the revs high until it warms up. Or idle speed may need adjusting - I tried turning this clockwise but it feels held back by a spring and I didn't want to force it ... I've heard people having to twist it against resistance until it finally turns, though. Anyone had experience of this?

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:29 - 18 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with this carb adjustment screws (especially the brass ones) is that if they don't get tweaked a little they do tend to dry seize.
I usually turn mine in and back out a 1/4 turn every service to ensure this never occurs. Unless the spring is coil bound you shouldn't have any
problems but it might be wise to turn it anti clockwise first before trying to turn it clockwise to increase tickover speed.
It's always wise to hold the throttle open a little when raising the throttle slide with the adjusting screw - it avoids stress on the the threads, the tip and the slide.

If moving the mixture screw has little effect that would also add to the indication of a problematic idle circuit - either with the jet or an air/fuel passage.

keymaster360
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:44 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

if carb setting dont work just double check the pilot jet, had a scooter with that problem 3 weeks ago

GreyFox
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:07 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

browland wrote:
So back to the original problem. Held the throttle open for about 5 minutes - holding revs steady at around 2k - temp never got higher than 1 bar which is perhaps normal. If I roll off the throttle the engine will die. Had to give up and cycle into work at that point.

Maybe I just need to ride it and slip the clutch to keep the revs high until it warms up. Or idle speed may need adjusting - I tried turning this clockwise but it feels held back by a spring and I didn't want to force it ... I've heard people having to twist it against resistance until it finally turns, though. Anyone had experience of this?

Having the bike just sit there in neutral and holding the throttle open for 5mins is not going to warm the engine up;
you need to actually ride it!
The effort of moving the bike and having the gearbox work is what warms it up mate. I was quoting to you directly from the owner's manual, ride for ten mins or so until the temperature gauge shows 4 bars.

If the Idle Speed Adjuster screw feels stiff, blast with a little WD40 or equivalent. It is designed to move, it will move.

Good luck, and RTFM! Thumbs Up

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:26 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I guess I meant I couldn't keep it running at idle without holding the throttle open which seemed unusual.

I went out this morning to WD-40 the idle adjuster but the bike wouldn't even start at all Mad. Can hear starter motor but engine not firing up, regardless of choke or throttle position. It had been raining a lot during the day which adds to the water theory.

I'll finally have some time over the weekend to have a proper look at it. I know people have said to look at the carburettor but I don't feel confident going to this level of maintenance yet, and don't have enough time for lots of trial and error to be honest.

I called a repair shop 3 miles away who said to check the condition of the spark plugs (relating to it not starting) so I'll do that. Hopefully I can ride that far over the weekend otherwise I'll push it there and get it sorted.

browland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:42 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

She idles! Smile

Discovered that the fuel tap has to be in the reserve position, and won't work in 'on'. Tank is nearly full. I previously thought it had been off, but I must have had it either in 'on' or 'reserve' at different times, not realising it was making all the difference. Bum.

Another weird thing - the choke seems to be working the opposite way to normal - pulling it out lowers the revs, pushing it in raises them. Funny. The revs still jump around a bit with the choke out.

So got the helmet and gloves on, then gloves back off to unchain it, then gloves back on, and off again to do up my helmet ... finally ready to go ... and it stalled pulling away in first.

Gentle as I could, but no dice. Choke in or out, it stalls. It's as though the engine can't take any load.

Any thoughts on why it would do that? Edit: maybe I need to give it much higher revs than normal as it does seem a bit knackered. Didn't think to try that. I could at least get it to the shop that way.

This thread is probably highly annoying by now Neutral

GreyFox
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

browland wrote:
She idles! Smile

Discovered that the fuel tap has to be in the reserve position, and won't work in 'on'. Tank is nearly full. I previously thought it had been off, but I must have had it either in 'on' or 'reserve' at different times, not realising it was making all the difference. Bum.

Another weird thing - the choke seems to be working the opposite way to normal - pulling it out lowers the revs, pushing it in raises them. Funny. The revs still jump around a bit with the choke out.

So got the helmet and gloves on, then gloves back off to unchain it, then gloves back on, and off again to do up my helmet ... finally ready to go ... and it stalled pulling away in first.

Gentle as I could, but no dice. Choke in or out, it stalls. It's as though the engine can't take any load.

Any thoughts on why it would do that? Edit: maybe I need to give it much higher revs than normal as it does seem a bit knackered. Didn't think to try that. I could at least get it to the shop that way.

This thread is probably highly annoying by now Neutral

Jesus Christ, this is getting painful to read.
ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN
You are clearly woefully out of your depth from your description of the Benny Hill-esque antics above. Get the bike to a mechanic. Get it fixed. Get it sold. We will ALL feel a lot safer knowing there is one less null-wave transmitter on the road.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

--edit--

Apologies for the harshness of the previous message. In all seriousness, the attitude with which you approach motorcycling directly affects your survival chances and those of others on the road.

GET YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON, consider what you have to do and do it, whether it's a maintenance task or preparing to move off on the bike.

Get a cover over the bike when it is left outside, and WD40 the tits off of it.

Get to a mechanic, get the immediate problem(s) fixed and then use the sage old mechanic for advice. Generally speaking, if you provide the biscuits, they will provide the brew and the knowledge.

Ask questions in the forum after first thinking about the problem, and what the real question might be; don't just start typing on reflex. Use the search function, chances are this problem has cropped up somewhere in the history of motorcycle maintenance before. The guys on here are a fantastic fount of free knowledge, but blurting out "do you nod to other bikers?!" without thinking will quickly see you nobcat-ed to death.

Did I miss anything? Shocked

Zero
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 19 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water in the fuel tank? Its easy for the garage to fix it so don't panic, but its certainly something I would look into (no not literally, its dark in there!) with what you're describing.

All those random droplets seem to build up over the years and tend to just sit in the bottom on the tank. If you had a see-through bucket with a litre of petrol in it, and poured in 100ml of water on top and left it overnight, you would see a clear level of water at the bottom of the bucket with the petrol as a separate layer on top the next day. Your petrol tank could be that bucket.

I might be wrong (it happens once or twice a year) but yeah definitely worth investigation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1