Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike issues, do I need something better?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Bike issues, do I need something better? Reply with quote

So I ride for fitness, just hour or 2 sessions.

I've been finding that my pedals (I think its the pedals anyway) are creaking like buggery when i'm pushing hard, wether it be in high gear or uphill climbs (oh and standing-up riding to)

Can this be cheap parts? Since owning this particular bike I've had it serviced, the chain stretched so had to have that sorted and the wheel has had to be as near as damn it true'd.

The culprit in question is a Carerra Subway hybrid, I think Hybrid is what I need as I like to ride on the road but occasionally hit a lane - so a full on road bike is out of the question.

https://www.jakesbikes.co.uk/resources/images/imgp1260.jpg

My question is am I going to just get problems with this halfrauds piece and what can I get that will be a bit more reliable/durable, I don't mind going older and buying in parts - I don't quite want a mountain bike as I think it would be a bit much for the road, although it may be a bit more resilient (I had a £20 raleigh mountain bike before that did around 2000 miles without issue, I purchased the carrera as I was getting into it more but find it's a bit of a pita)
I don't have a lot of money and hopefully my thing is worth at least something, I don't mind buying something older thats built as tough as old boots, weight is not really an issue as it would be far more a benefit if i lost the kg's instead!

I don't know a lot about push bikes as you can probably tell, I just want something I can pull out of the shed - have a ride for an hour or so cover around 20 miles and not have to fuck around with it every week.

Advice appreciated Smile
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do 20 miles in an hour on that, including some off road stuff, you should get in contact with Team Sky.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
If you can do 20 miles in an hour on that, including some off road stuff, you should get in contact with Team Sky.

Hour or 2, hour or so theres no way I can average 20 per hour, where did I say that? Laughing
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the crank bearings want lookin at.. all my halford specials have wanted attention there...scraped the last one cos of a crank assay. failure... you need a tool to do it though...

PS. whish I could manage 10mph never mind 20mph Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:04 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just the pedal bearings are shot. Change those inexpensive things before looking at other stuff.

I upgraded a bottom bracket and seat post to cure creaks when it turned out to be pedals. Expensive mistake.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was being a twat, have been doing a lot of that lately. Apologies.

If you can feel the creak through the pedals, I would say crank (bottom bracket) too, but it might be the headset. You can eliminate that by taking all pressure from the bars when you hear the creak - if it stops then it may well be the headset (mine is creaking at the mo).

If it is the bottom bracket, then you do need special tools to get it out, and it can be a pain. You can just 'service' them, which is pretty much removal of the sealed axle unit, cleaning, lubing and reinstalling - unless of course you can feel that the sealed bracket has excess play/feels rough when rotating.

Bracket issues are also characterised by 'clicking' when rotating, FYI.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Probably just the pedal bearings are shot. Change those inexpensive things before looking at other stuff.

I upgraded a bottom bracket and seat post to cure creaks when it turned out to be pedals. Expensive mistake.

never had the peddle bearings go on a halfrauds cheapy ... either way we are talkin pennies here .. like £5 to replace all of them..
the peddles com off wit a standard socket
but you need the tool 4 the crank

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_922685_langId_-1_categoryId_242558

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said: Crank (Bottom Bracket) or Pedal bearings are what tends to creak.

If you just want good, grippy flat pedals then I recommend DMR V8's or V12's.

Or the cheap Wellgo copies both V8 and V12's i've had and the difference is minimal.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creak is definately coming from the pedal area, it's not a front end creak (used to get that on the last one) its not just that I can hear it I can feel it through the pedals, so sounds like the crank from what has been said, will see if that sorts it Thumbs Up

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the guy who true'd the back wheel said he couldn't get it perfect and that it would probably go again, is this to do with the frame?

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ No. Nowt to do with the frame really.

It's just to do with how "true" the rim runs. A very true rim has no deformation laterally.

A buckled (Non-true) rim will be bent laterally and when you spin it will look as if it's moving side-to-side.

It's nothing to do with the hub or the frame: just the rim and the spoke tension.

It takes a moderately skilled mechanic to true a wheel well but you could have a crack at it yourself with a screwdriver or spoke key.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 06:55 - 26 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Will_ wrote:
The creak is definately coming from the pedal area, it's not a front end creak (used to get that on the last one) its not just that I can hear it I can feel it through the pedals, so sounds like the crank from what has been said, will see if that sorts it Thumbs Up

So the creak is coming from the pedal area. You can feel it through the pedals therefore it couldn't possibly be the pedals?

If you have set of pedals on another bike, or even buy some cheap ones it could be a quick simple fix before spending money on bottom brackets. Like I said, I made that mistake before. I spent £20 on an Ultegra Bottom Bracket, £20 on a Hollowtech bracket cups tool and £30 on a carbon seatpost all before it turned out the shimano SPD pedals I had on the bike with only 3,000 miles on them turned out to be the cause.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 26 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. you don`t need to remove the whole peddle to replace the bearings.. just the nut on the end.
you probably got no chance anyway usually rusted on and applying lots of pressure pops the crank screw threads...
don`t know anyone who would do that like Ooops Laughing

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 26 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
_Will_ wrote:

So the creak is coming from the pedal area. You can feel it through the pedals therefore it couldn't possibly be the pedals?

If you have set of pedals on another bike, or even buy some cheap ones it could be a quick simple fix before spending money on bottom brackets. Like I said, I made that mistake before. I spent £20 on an Ultegra Bottom Bracket, £20 on a Hollowtech bracket cups tool and £30 on a carbon seatpost all before it turned out the shimano SPD pedals I had on the bike with only 3,000 miles on them turned out to be the cause.

I will check the pedals first, it does seem to be an alternate side thing though as in loud creak one side then creak on the other suggesting something in the middle?
As said above somewhere I get 'clicking' too
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:06 - 27 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often what can sound like its coming from one place is from another. The creaking is most likely the crank and/or pedals. It could just easily be the derailleur pulleys/cogs.

Grease things up systematically then ride for a bit to see what solves the problem.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 27 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the creak you describe will be one of a limited number of things
loose cranks
loose pedals
bottom bracket loose in frame
fucked bottom bracket
fucked pedals

thats essentially it

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom bracket had play in it and was causing the creak.

New bracket, new chain, new cassette and a mini service.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 01 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of this thread last night while I was out. I had a creak coming through my pedals when pedaling hard, due to my orsum powah.

I took the BB out over the weekend, and reinstalled after checking for play and made sure that mofo was in there properly.

Still the creak.

Then, I had a thought as I was going up one 'hill', turned out that the thought was correct - it was my rear wheel. The QR was not as tight as it should have been, 10 secs to tighten it, creak gone.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 03 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fact that nearly all creaks on bicycles tend to appear to come from the BB.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 03 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
It's a fact that nearly all creaks on bicycles tend to appear to come from the BB.

Unless you have suspension linkage bearings that are so abused and full of shit that they dont rotate as a bearing... the whole thing rotates in the frame itself Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1