Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

best 50cc on the market

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to New Bikers by Korn (18 Jul 2004 - 12:23)
View previous topic : View next topic  
LorryDriver71 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Personally i would go for the RX50. It looks like a dirt bike and goes like one too. I honestly cant see the point of a 50 that looks like a sportsbike. slap all the fairing you want on it and the crappest 125 you can find will still wipe the floor with it.
At least Peds/dirt bikes/commuter types just look like they are trying to get somewhere, rather than trying to show off with their arse in the air at 30mph with L plates on.

Agree totally...my ped is butt ugly, but I will only have it a year.

I laugh at people who buy sports replica 50's, yeah you look cool...but then you don't at the same time.

At the traffic lights everyone will be like "ooooooh look at that", the lights change green and they hear the 2 stroke 50 (which is a nasty sound, but smells nice) , pick up it's pace and blast past them at 40MPH tops. Very Happy

Even 7 years olds would be on the floor p*ssing themselves.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In my opinion is get a cheap scoot to get you around until you are 17. I had a scoot that did 45MPH flat out and was very reliable up to getting my nsr. It works out cheaper in the long run.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 17 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldy wrote:
Hi,

In my opinion is get a cheap scoot to get you around until you are 17. I had a scoot that did 45MPH flat out and was very reliable up to getting my nsr. It works out cheaper in the long run.

I agree. I wish i got a cheaper 50cc rather than paying £1400 for my Derbi Senda, then on top of that £500+ for insurance. All though, it worked out quite good because i got trade in of £1000 against my Aprilia. But anyway, get something cheap and that has little sentimental value and not something like an RS as they are thrashed to bits and dropped countless times (well thats new riders for you). Insurance will also be a fraction of the cost Thumbs Up

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 18 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of 2nd hand 50cc scoots available on e-bay. I just sold my "Nurg", as i've grown to call it, for 400 quid, which is a bargain. Inevitably, if your a 16 yr old and want to get a vehicle that takes you from A to B without relying on a bus pass, then a 2nd hand scoot is ideal. Anything piaggio i'd recommend since their engines are quite reliable even with 8000+ miles on the clock. I'd personally say that the most popular 50 in my area is the NRG cos they're so cheap and insurable, especially since last year when piaggio offered subsidised insurance. I agree that RS's are sterlingly beautiful bikes, but very pointless at lights when you're left for dead by the automatic.
Quote:
Even 7 years olds would be on the floor p*ssing themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titot182 wrote:
There's plenty of 2nd hand 50cc scoots available on e-bay. I just sold my "Nurg", as i've grown to call it, for 400 quid, which is a bargain. Inevitably, if your a 16 yr old and want to get a vehicle that takes you from A to B without relying on a bus pass, then a 2nd hand scoot is ideal. Anything piaggio i'd recommend since their engines are quite reliable even with 8000+ miles on the clock. I'd personally say that the most popular 50 in my area is the NRG cos they're so cheap and insurable, especially since last year when piaggio offered subsidised insurance. I agree that RS's are sterlingly beautiful bikes, but very pointless at lights when you're left for dead by the automatic.

My Piaggio scoot has done me well for 13000+ miles and the local mechanic says I should be able to put a new exhaust on it without causing too much damage to engine. Piaggio's are quite easily maintained.

The most popular scoots in our area are the Peugeot Speedfight and Piaggio NRG's. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AzA
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a Yamaha DT50 or some motocross bike if you can't make your mind up on a scooter.

swifty_mcvay
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:58 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

right heres my 2 pense ....

1.don't get a crosser they sound ''tinny'' specially a 50cc and even when modded have that bee sort of noise

2. if your going for the race rep then get whatever one you want Very Happy

3.i know you hate scoots so i wont even comment

4. you can mod a race rep to make it sound alot better ( IMO)
and make it alot faster....obviously they look the dogs nuts and all aswell

p.s PRILAS OWN

rs fiddie 02'tetsuya rep, Mk sp 75cc alloy kit, 21mm dellorto carb, pod air filter, Mk Clutch, Jolly Moto 80cc pipe

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i can't see a race rep sounding any different to a 'crosser' style 50.

The point is that a race rep is not a good learner tool, they damage easily and are expensive to insure. where something like an ar50 or 'crosser' won't be.

swifty_mcvay
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 04:40 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know there expensive but if you've got the money then its ok

+ they have the feel of a bigger bike and are good for experience i think also they are a bit faster then a crosser ( a little) although not much. speed is still speed

don't get me wrong i like crossers but i prefer race reps ! Cool

rs fiddie 02'tetsuya rep, Mk sp 75cc alloy kit, 21mm dellorto carb, pod air filter, Mk Clutch, Jolly Moto 80cc pipe

Tobyw101
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:35 - 29 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys do any of you know anything about rieju spikes?are they any good? what kinda speed can you get out of them? cheers

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 29 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wouldn't trust a lot of those makes like Reiju and Motohispania. If you want a geared 50, get an older one. Cheaper insurance, cheaper to buy, you'll lose less/none, it won't be the end of the world if you drop it/get it nicked.......

At 16 do you really want to be paying HP for 2 years for something that ideally you'll be fed up with in 6 months and are paying more back for than its worth? Your best bet is get a scooter or old MT50/TS50.

The reason for my theory of not getting a 50cc race rep is as follows. A neighbour of mine bought a TZR50 new for at least the £2000 mark. He is still paying HP and sold it a few months ago for £900. The bike is scrap - rusted, skipping gears, and is generally scrap. He lost about £1000 just cause he wanted to look cool.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 12:04 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no-one has owned a geared 50 themselves how can they make comments on reliability and the like.
Every single one of my m8s has a geared 50
-dt50
-motorhispania rx50 and mh furia
-aprilia rs50 x2

None of them has ever had a problem with them and the motorhispanias seem the quickest out of all of them.
Im getting a geared 50 soon for many reasons - i want to have good experiance with gears and the way a bike handles (not a ped) also, there is NO 50cc scooter that will beat any 50cc geared bike.
Maybe at a traffic light race the scooter will pull off better but the geared 50's will catch up and overtake!

If i paid £900 for a 4 yr old rs50 and have it for a year when i come to sell it it will still be worth around £800 because they never drop below that mark unles they have crash damage and intergallectic milage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2