Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

any advice for a new biker?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:02 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: any advice for a new biker? Reply with quote

i am almost 16 now and saving up for my first bike...aaaaawwww, i was told by the local bike garage that aprilia rs50s (my first choice lol) were completely dog mess and i shouldnt bother with aprilia, so recently i have been loking for other similar sports 50cc bikes (god those peds look terrible) so far the best two ive found are the derbi gpr and the yamaha tzr50... i was wondering if any of you guru bikers out there could give me some advice on what i should get to start off with Mr. Green , i like the idea of the bikers nod lol Thumbs Up Karma

Slavo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:08 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend all your money on a 50, they're slow / boring and your likely to drop it. Also as soon as your 17 you will want a 125 or do your test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the the Aprilia and the like all use the same 50cc engine anyway.

Also if you keep and RS50 well serviced and use decent 2 stroke oil it should'nt be a problem after all your only likely to keep it 1-2 years and then get a 125 or pass your test and get a bigger one. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:14 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can see your point about being 17 soon but im not 16 yet so its more than a year for me to wait (impatient little git me Smile ) but i hear that aprilia is going bankrupt and parts are hell to find so keeping it well serviced would be hard.... this is not true is it? they dont use the same engines? they must be different in some way otherwise they would cost almost the same Question

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia were going bankrupt, but according to MCN, it was saved by the Italian banks. But I hear Aprilia parts are generally pretty expensive. There is always a Derbi, can't remember what its name is, but appraently they're nice.

Craig G(Noggin)

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i mentioned the derbi gpr is one of my current options, im looking for second hand ones and they are going for decent prices (need to get a job to earn some dosh first) somehow i think i will try and get a yamaha tzr50 as they seem to be a more well known company and maybe means reapairing will be cheaper and more available?

culpan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:49 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your dilemma, I am currently on a 50cc ped and it is the most boring experience of my life every time I sit on it, on gears no speed just a gay shriek.
(Although I am getting an NSR in a couple of months Very Happy )

My recommendation is getting a cheep 50cc ped, (as you will drop it a few times) then when your 17 get a 125.

I say this because I know for a fact the Yamaha tzr50 get to about 30 MPH top’s and are some what of a hazzard on the roads and there is no point in spending much money on something you only really want to get road experience on.

Hope I have been helpful in some way.
Thumbs Up

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:55 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, that does help as i can understand how they are dangerous on the roads (after all this is me driving we are discussing Razz) after a whole night of chat and forum reading im looking more and mroe into the rs50 which was my first idea but the mechanic down the local bike shop said it was pointless cus they cant get any parts or anything, so im probably going to buy a second hand cheap rs50 and sell it when im 17 Thumbs Up thanks for all your advice Very Happy ride safe and nod on Karma

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:58 - 16 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a real moped, with pedals, then you will get all the nods, and the ladies. Cool

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:01 - 17 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what exactly is a 'real' moped, the whole point of this post is that i dont want no pile of scooter scum i want to start on a real geared sports 50 bike so it wont be too different when i move up to a proper motorbike

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 17 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I meant a really old one, just joking man Confused

But yeah, a second hand RS50 is probably best, but you don't want to spend to much on a 50, it isn't worth it.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:05 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Get a real moped, with pedals, then you will get all the nods, and the ladies. Cool

Tell you what, if I saw anyone riding one of them, not only would they get the nod, I'd probably go up to them, shake their hand and buy them a drink.

On the subject of the bike: I wouldn't recommend getting an RS50 as many here have said. It may look cool but you have to be honest to yourself. You know that you'll want to sell it in a couple of years, if not 1! You'll be sick of 30mph and have to get a 125 for your test. As you said, Peds are gay (okay, i'm saying that buy you catch my drift) but as you're only 'nearly' 16 then you really can't get much more. Its a crap situation but thats the law sadly - and there aren't enough 50cc's about. Most 16 year olds get scooters so you'll find plenty of them at 50cc. As Josh suggested, you could always find yourself a cheap 50cc real moped. It'll at least get you in good stead for when you're 17. Then you could pass you test possibly straight away and move onto a 33bhp machine. The money you save by not buying an RS would give you a good whack straight away.

Plus, as you've been informed, spares for the RS are hard to come by and bloody expensive. They won't be for a moped, hopefully, and it's only if you're lucky that you'll not drop it at least once while its in your tenure. On another note, if i saw you on one, i'd have to buy you a drink wouldn't I?

Food for thought. Just my Penny Coin Penny Coin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an rs50, but get a second hand one bought privatly.
new ones are a total rip off, and you will get very little for it when you come to sell it, so buy a second hand one cheap, look after it and sell it when your 17.

Bo0Za BuSa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all Laughing this is a great site and i will probably use it for many years to come, maybe ill take you up on that drink one day Mantzy Very Happy until then i am probably just going to buy a cheap second hand rs and take good care of it (maybe even try and make it better condition) so that i wont lose too much, thanks for all of your advice you have helped me loads i look forward to riding the roads with you guys someday Thumbs Up Karma ride well and nod hard Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1