Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

why does my ZZR fuel gauge not work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: why does my ZZR fuel gauge not work? Reply with quote

Finally got out on my ZZR yesterday evening and it's all good Smile

although, for some reason since I bought it the fuel gauge isn't working (it worked after the first time I took the tank off)

so I have absolutely no idea how much fuel I have, nor how far I can get before i need to re-fuel. (so other ZZR owners, how far can you get on a motorway run when taking it easy?)

any ideas?

ta

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious one is has the sender become disconnected when the fuel tank was off.

The old way of checking whether it is the sender or the gauge, disconnect the sender and short out the wires. The gauge should go to full. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the wiring or the gauge. If it does the fault is at the sender.

Ilyin
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:52 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried taking your tank off again and having a look?
It could just be a lead needs reconnecting?

You could look in your tank to see how much you have?

You could fill it up?

As a general rule of thumb you should be looking to fill up every 100 miles and go from there.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, I did connect the lead.

100 miles seems short range wise.

Ilyin
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:25 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah do 100 miles, then fill up, note how many litres you put in, compare that to the size of your tank.

Use 100 miles as a starting point, and go from there.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense Smile

just woken up so sense isn't really my scene!

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll do anywhere between 130 to 170 before hitting reserve depending on how you ride.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Re: why does my ZZR fuel gauge not work? Reply with quote

Black Sheep wrote:
Finally got out on my ZZR yesterday evening and it's all good Smile

although, for some reason since I bought it the fuel gauge isn't working (it worked after the first time I took the tank off)

so I have absolutely no idea how much fuel I have, nor how far I can get before i need to re-fuel. (so other ZZR owners, how far can you get on a motorway run when taking it easy?)

any ideas?

ta

I take it the fuel warning light still comes on? If so I'd assume you'd probably have about a gallon or so left at that point to go and find yourself some more juice. Personally I reset the trip meter every time I fill up the bike so I know how far I roughly have left, after a few tankfuls you'll get a fair idea of the distance you can travel before your warning light comes up.
Not familiar with the sender unit on the ZZR but its possible for the pickup contacts to wear and break off, or even for the float arm detach itself or move the little pickup cam to the side (which results in poor contact) if its a loose fit which will give you no readings. If you pull out the sender unit from under the tank you should be able to see what's going on. They are fragile things however which play up quite often on bikes.
Also try playing around with the lead a bit and maybe dose it with some wd40 inside.
If you have a reserve tap though its not that big a problem.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if I have a reserve light or not, not looked.

I've got a full tank at the moment and only done about 20 miles.

Do you think I might have damaged the sender unit taking the tank on and off a few times?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have reserve, would say 150 miles in it might want it. Think Mrjoolz averaged 160 miles to a tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have a reserve setting on the tank, but no idea if there is a fuel warning light on the dash.

If there is one i might just take to leaving the tank on reserve and fill up when the light comes on Smile

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 06 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sheep wrote:
I know I have a reserve setting on the tank, but no idea if there is a fuel warning light on the dash.

If there is one i might just take to leaving the tank on reserve and fill up when the light comes on Smile

Get breakdown cover first. Thumbs Up

(hint: there is no fuel warning light Laughing )

Fill the tank and zero the odometer everytime you fill up. Run it until it runs out with the fuel tank set to 'on'.

Take note of milage and fill up before you get to that milage each time.

Or just do what I'd do and fix the fuel gauge. It was working before you messed with the tank so it's guaranteed that you've done something to make it stop working in the process. take the tank off and look at the wires to see if you've ripped any off.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 07 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sheep wrote:
don't know if I have a reserve light or not, not looked.

I've got a full tank at the moment and only done about 20 miles.

Do you think I might have damaged the sender unit taking the tank on and off a few times?

I'd try waggling the wires around first a bit and checking you haven't pulled a connection somewhere, put some wd40 inside the connector blocks and reattach them and see if anything happens.
If not try shorting the connection as suggested and see what happens to the gauge. Perhaps the sender was disturbed inside the tank when you took it on and off, though if it was working fine previously I'd say its probably more the wiring connected to it.
If the bike has a working reserve tap then for me that's all the indication I would need of when I need petrol - the fuel gauge doesn't really tell you much at all.
Resetting your odometer each time you fill up will give you an idea of how far you can travel on a tank before you hit reserve.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1