Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Maths bods - Differentiation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Maths bods - Differentiation Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my head around differentiation at the moment. It's the last topic I have to understand before my test on Tuesday. In reality, it's not that important because I can choose 12/16 questions to do so I can just skip any questions on differentiation. Laughing

Anyway... I'm currently working through it the long way to give myself a fundamental understanding of how it works. I've made myself a sample problem of y = 12x^5 + 15. It's easy to see that the answer is 60x^4, but I'm working on the process of why. This is my workings out:

https://i.imgur.com/bprF8tJ.png?1

The thing I've highlighted in red is what bugs me. As delta x approaches 0, this fraction will become undefined, will it not? In which case we have dy/dx = 60x^4 + undefined, which isn't a valid answer.

Can anybody explain that part to me please? Confused
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900


Last edited by J.M. on 12:22 - 11 May 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask, why you have the bit in red as a fraction??

Sure it is just 12(delta x)^4? and then as delta x approaches 0 it just disappears like the other elements containg delta x??
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah of course! It's been a long day... somehow I was reading it as 128x^5 not 12 delta x to the 5.

That fixes it Very Happy
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Bah of course! It's been a long day... somehow I was reading it as 128x^5 not 12 delta x to the 5.

That fixes it Very Happy


Laughing I know that feeling! I done a question today and after 6 attempts I had 6 different answers and then gave up.

I feel your pain for your test. My maths exam is a week on monday Shocked I'llbe dreaming maths by then!!
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
I done a question today and after 6 attempts I had 6 different answers and then gave up.


I know that feeling all too well too. Laughing

Nick 50 wrote:
I feel your pain for your test. My maths exam is a week on monday Shocked I'llbe dreaming maths by then!!


Ah I'm sure my test would be really simple for you. Mine's just an introduction to maths... I'm just struggling as I haven't done maths in 2 years since GCSE and didn't understand my lecturer this year. My other tests are more important but I have to pass this one to be allowed on to next year even though it's worth so little credits!

Spent today and yesterday studying extensively... now have 30 pages of notes summarising the entire module so hopefully I can pass this exam. I need to score like 60-70%. Laughing
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love lamp.....
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Nick 50 wrote:
I done a question today and after 6 attempts I had 6 different answers and then gave up.


I know that feeling all too well too. Laughing

Nick 50 wrote:
I feel your pain for your test. My maths exam is a week on monday Shocked I'llbe dreaming maths by then!!


Ah I'm sure my test would be really simple for you. Mine's just an introduction to maths... I'm just struggling as I haven't done maths in 2 years since GCSE and didn't understand my lecturer this year. My other tests are more important but I have to pass this one to be allowed on to next year even though it's worth so little credits!

Spent today and yesterday studying extensively... now have 30 pages of notes summarising the entire module so hopefully I can pass this exam. I need to score like 60-70%. Laughing


I'm sure you'll be fine Thumbs Up

I went back into education after 16 years since GCSE's. I was naive about the course and Engineering in general.
I got through the 1 year Access course and got my place at Uni.

I thought, wow I done the equivalent of 3 A levels in a year, i'm mint. It didn't take long to see the mahoosive difference between my abilities and the top A-Level bods Sick

My issue I had with Maths was I was trying to understand everything about maths and what I was learning. It really didn't work for me.
I have now went down the "learn the steps" route and rigorously repeat.
I'm finding i'm understanding more as i'm putting a silly number of hours in to it.

For me, Maths is all about learning the steps and pure repetition till it sticks.


I have silly amount of notes if they would be any help to you? I might be able to wangle you being able to watch our old Maths lectures if it would be any help? Thankfully my Maths lecturer is pretty darn good to be honest, which helps massively.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the same for me Very Happy I'm terrible at learning in class through listening. Especially with my tutor. He really knows his stuff, but he goes off on massive tangents. If you understand what he's going on about then it would be really interesting... if you don't understand the stuff before hand then it's like... EHHH?! I need diagrams and paper and then repeat until I figure it out and it sticks in my mind! But I can't just accept something works... I always want to know why it works too! Very Happy

The best maths teacher I've ever had was back studying Sats in year 9. I could have done with him this year!

I suspect you're probably studying slightly different things to me, but thank you for the offer Very Happy

I've currently got this book:
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q%2BTJR7DgL.jpg

It's pretty darn amazing, if you don't have it I would really recommend it! It has explained 99% of things to me in a way which I can understand them. Then Khan Academy usually manages to explain the rest to me.

There are just some things that I am still lost on with Trigonometry:
Things like why:
Cos(theta + phi) = cos(theta)cos(phi) - sin(theta)sin(phi)

I get how to use them... but can't for the life of me figure out how it is derived!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:


I wouldn't bother with that one. Its been ten years and they still cant get the lift to work on the Spinnaker tower Wink
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy wrote:
I wouldn't bother with that one. Its been ten years and they still cant get the lift to work on the Spinnaker tower Wink


Is it bad that I don't even recognise the tower? Embarassed
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's in Portsmouth, it is an excellent thing that you don't recognise it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

Visible from the ferry to the Isle of Wight... right... I do feel stupid sometimes. I've been on that ferry 4 times.

https://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306221_381174671917502_28572408_n.jpg
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

spaz
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, calculus.


*barf*


Haven't used it for the last 6 years and don't intend to use it ever again!
____________________
"If it's got tits or an engine, it'll be trouble"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first job as a games developer, our resident maths nerd was doing ballistics calculations with all sorts of integrate-the-polynomial-of-the-arctangents-of-your-age stuff to try and work out the right angle to fire a mortar to have it land at the desired position under a variety of conditions. He'd been at it for days, with much Aspie mutterings of "...nearly there, just need to carry the i..."

I wrote a "pick an angle, run the simulator, see where it would land, iterate and binary chop until it's close enough" bodge in 20 minutes, committed it, and got on with the next problem.

In the real world, 4 thou is usually close enough.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That method using oX and oY is a little strange. I've seen it before but I hate it. Here's an easier way Mr. Green

edit: Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Looks like you did it all properly anyway! That bit where your're dividing by oX, don't worry, it just becomes zero, not infinity. I'll leave the rest of the post here anyway because.... just because.
edit edit: Actually my method is a tiny bit different. It goes straight into the dy/dx, instead of mucking about with that y+Oy=x+Ox malarkey.

So the gradient of a line is (change in y) / (change in x)
The childish way to find the gradient is to draw a triangle and look at dy/dx. Obviously with a cruved line, the triangle will not be a very accurate form, unless it's very very small. Calculus basically considers how to push the triangle to it's smallest size such that it disappears and therefore the calculated gradient is perfect. So anyway...

We know y = 12x^5 +15

So the change in y is caused by an change in x. Call this change h.
Here it is in 'triangle' form.

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/calc2.jpg

Now we can see:

Change in y: dy = [12(x+h)^5 + 15] - [12x^5 + 15]
Change in x: dx = (x+h)-x = h

Now write it in the form of dy/dx
Simplify it.
And consider what happens as h gets smaller and smaller, as it tends to zero.
See below

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=89080

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly confused looking at that way of doing things, but that's probably because my maths skills aren't brilliant Very Happy

Differentiation like the question I posted above is really nice, because you can skip all of the workings out and go directly to the answer:
https://i.imgur.com/VvU8qa8.png

Now I just need to practise the things like the chain rule/product rule and run through some past papers and I'm ready for my test on Tuesday!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing the method I wrote was exactly the same as yours, only I used 'h' where you used 'ox'. Although one thing that does seem odd, is the bit line where you 'subtract y'. You take y from one side of the equation but it doesn't seem logical to magically remove it for no reason.

I tried to understand all the fundamentals of everything when I first started learning maths. At some point I just stopped because memorising it seemed easier, but now somehow I can go back to the stuff I learned earlier and am able to show the proofs of how they work, even though at the time I didn't know Confused . I guess things just click when you give them time to sink in.

good luck bud Karma Karma Karma Karma !!

Just wait till you have to use differential equations to resolve variable forces Twisted Evil . Me and Smegballs had fun with that. (NB - Smegballs chage your username, anyone who mentions it sounds gay/perverse Laughing)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

We subtract y because we wish to isolate the equation in terms of δy and δx, meaning we can then approach δx to 0 to find dy/dx. At least, that's the reason I can find for subtracting y. Very Happy

Just looked back at you post and figured out the part which was confusing me... now I feel stupid. I will blame it on being awake too early!

Fortunately I doubt that I'll ever have to use differential equations to resolve variable forces; I'm not doing Physics! Merely Computer Science/Software Engineering with no intentions to go in to games development. So with any luck, stuff like that shouldn't cross my path, ever Very Happy
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lurkio
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Maths bods - Differentiation Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
As delta x approaches 0, this fraction will become undefined, will it not?


It will not. Only at 0 is this fraction undefined; the denominator can approach 0 arbitrarily closely.

If you want to learn this stuff properly then you should learn about sequences, limit points and continuity first. Any introductory book on (real) analysis would cover it all and more. It may be sensible to wait until the summer and just learn the rules for exams now.

Good luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is my plan Thumbs Up

Currently I just need to study the things so I can score enough to get me on to the 2nd year of my course. Then over summer I can improve my math skills in preparation for the maths we are studying next year. I'm not sure what we are covering next year, but it has been very apparent this year that I have forgotten most things I've learnt up until now in maths!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Then over summer I can improve my math skills in preparation for the maths we are studying next year.


Such as the ferry takes 24 hours to reach its destination, at 3 pints per hour, how many beers will I buy before I am pissed. Now factor in a pizza. How many drunks shall I boat.

Cardboard.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasoning behind 'as it goes to zero' is exactly that.

Differentiation and integration use infinitesimals (infinitely small numbers). Not zero - that's the key point.

0.1 / 0.1 is defined.
0.01 / 0.01 is defined.

That's what 'in the limit' means.

For example, let's look at the limits of (1+x)/(1-x).

Let's pick an arbitrary value of x, say, 0.1.
That gives 1.1/0.9.
If x is 0.01, that gives 1.01/0.99.
This is clearly converging to 1/1, as expected if you just actually set x = 0.

In the high limit: let's try x = 100.
101/-99. Try a few more and you'll see that this is clearly converging to -1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_%28mathematics%29 has some more formal information.

However - to be very frank - if you want to know how maths works, you should be doing a Mathematics degree. You simply don't have time otherwise. I'm doing Physics which is about as close as you can get to maths without studying it formally, and we have absolutely no chance of deriving everything we need. You have to let go of 'how do we formally prove this' at some point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limits is one of the things I will be studying. I understand a small amount about them, but not enough yet.

I'm not all too fussed on how maths works. I'm here for the Computer Science degree with plans to go in to Software Engineering and frankly I'm scoring some of the top results in my year and I'm not great at maths. I just have to pass the module to be allowed to continue the course. I just like to understand "why" the things work which I need to know. At no point do I intend to fully understand the entirety of mathematics Very Happy I find that if I understand "why" something works, I remember exactly how to do it because the "easy methods" we're taught all make perfect sense.

The reason I wish to study over the summer is because I have to study maths next year as a module too. So I need to become more comfortable with the processes that will be the foundations of what is studied next year. I.E. everything studied this year.

I wrote out something like 25 pages of notes for one of my modules summarising all of the processes behind the topics covered. Exam was a piece of cake as a result; because understanding "why" allowed me to describe the processes in the exam exactly how they worked rather than simply reiterating what the lecturer wrote in his notes. Very Happy

@Paddy... 1.5 beers. You're liver's fucked. Laughing Dibs on the pizza once you're holding on to the floor so that you don't fall off the boat.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cunnington
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 12 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:

There are just some things that I am still lost on with Trigonometry:
Things like why:
Cos(theta + phi) = cos(theta)cos(phi) - sin(theta)sin(phi)

I get how to use them... but can't for the life of me figure out how it is derived!


I never managed to get my head round that. The most frustrating thing about my engineering degree was the use of the word "obviously" in maths lectures:
" and rearrange that to get cos(theta)cos(phi) - sin(theta)sin(phi) which obviously is cos(theta + phi)..." Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

I saw it as a hurdle that I had to get over, and moved on. I have been involved in cutting edge research, have undertaken finite element analysis of complex structures under seismic loading, have never had to differentiate and haven't looked back.

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
'82 C50, '81 CB100, '84 GS125, '95 NTV650, '00 Bandit 600, '06 SV650, '56 Z1000, '89 NTV600
The Shaggy D.A. wrote: "You are invisible. Those who can see you are trying to kill you."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 12 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one use for differentiation thus far has been in Artificial Intelligence as part of machine learning. I.E. classifying/fitting data points. Although we were just given the algorithm to use for that and I suffered no issues.

But yeah "obviously" in Maths annoys me too. "So obviously xys is potato". Laughing

I'm going to have to just try and memorise that line that you quoted. And the other similar ones like 2nd angles in Trig. Differentiation seems to use them as does the dest paper. Oh... must remember the outputs of differentiating the sin/cos/tan/cosec/etc so I don't have to work them out in the exam. Saving time... Laughing

2 days to go... hope this goes well. It's the only exam I've really been worried about. Then 9 days to revise for my final 2 exams. Then I'm freeeeeee!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 2.9 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 140.69 Kb