|
|
| Author |
Message |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:32 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: Quitting college after HNC Engineering |
 |
|
Now in my second year of this HNC course for mechanical engineering, I am due to finish around end of June.
The intention at the beginning of all this was for me to complete my HND, this I imagine means some more money as I am qualified. The issue I have is with the college though, it’s been awful. At the beginning of the course, three out of the four teachers were hard to understand, English was a struggle for them and it’s not like there is a shortage of teachers with no jobs. One guy was fired, he was so clueless he turned up again after he was told!
Our first maths teacher was hard to understand, this is my weaker subject so something I was NOT happy about…our hydraulics teacher is a lazy fuck who literally hands out assignments and power point presentation work for us to answer questions on, whilst he sits there doing something on the computer.
There have been a number of teacher changes over the two years and at this level of learning, it’s not a welcome change.
The list goes on when it comes to the disorganised, confusing structure of this whole thing. I feel I’ve had to jump through many hoops to get this far and it’s causing unnecessary stress.
Since the beginning of the course (which is day release Thursday) we had two options. If you want to finish the HNC only, stay till 4:30pm. If you want to continue onto HND level, stay till 8pm and do the extra two modules of HND level. This means that the following year will only take a year and you’ll achieve a HND level certificate. This sounded great, it means that you stay later but the course is overall shorter. Well, last week we were told that I may or may not carrying on for 18 months now, regardless of these two modules. The reason? Well we haven’t been told but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the fact our new lecturer for the last two modules (been there for about 3-4 weeks) has been told “Just get them through”. He let this slip when I ribbed him about the fact we have 4 assignments to complete and fvck all teaching or lesson structure.
He called this ‘guided learning’ some bullshit about that at this level, you are told less so you research yourself…well this is just pure bullsh*t and not how the course was running beforehand, it’s a joke.
This was on Thursday and I’m meant to be deciding now if I’m staying on for another 12 (possibly 18 if this rumour is correct) for these mongs and I’m not sure I can cope with it.
I’m 30 this year and obviously disappointed, I feel disappointed with myself…I know my Dad isn’t happy but he does understand they are mucking me about.
I do want the HND and yes I could start somewhere else but that’s for two years and I’m not even sure if I want to continue down this route, the passion has been quashed somewhat, my drive has been slowed.
I want to know from others opinions how this sounds. College has caused me unnecessary stress, I do really dislike going now, not knowing if I’m actually going to learn anything. I’m contracted to stay 12 months after college finishes before I could leave for somewhere else (or else I pay all fee’s)…I don’t mind that but if I stay in college it won’t be until 2016 that I could go do something else. ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fatpies |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fatpies World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Mar 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:32 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| fatpies wrote: | TBH the higher the educational level the more independent learning there is supposed to be. College is level 3-4.
However you're right and wrong about teachers.
There are some bad'uns esp since the government reduced the entry requirements so people no longer need PGCE/ DTTLS/ PGDE they can get in via PTTLS (one month course 0% fail rate).
But there is an employment problem, 2011s grads only about 25% got jobs, and most couldn't complete the NQT year.
The bigger problem is colleges are corporations now and for profit.... which means bad but cheap teachers are hired above good expensive ones, good experienced ones. |
What am I wrong about? 90% Of teachers on these courses are not ‘teachers’ they seem like they’ve failed in their career and ended up doing a spot of teaching. I’m not familiar with all those acronyms for teaching qualifications, it doesn’t really make any difference to me.
| fatpies wrote: | Myself I would make noises to the head of dept about leaving, colleges are scared of people leaving, it cuts the government funding pro-rata. Also maybe make noises about suing, ok I hate suing but since FE colleges are companies now you're a customer.
Also I'd check other colleges and see if you can switch and do a transfer of credits. If the exam boards are the same then there is little problem. |
This is something I’m not 100% sure of and nor do I think the lecturers at the college know either.
I don’t want to be in higher education until 2016, if I go to another college I’ll be there for the entire HND length of time. I have things to do. The goal posts have been shifted by these mongs and it is not my fault.
Suing them how? I don’t think I have much to go on, they will have yards of excuses and back up no doubt.
| fatpies wrote: | A churn course as identified by the wolf report exists to boost the ranking and funding of the college, and it is NOT beneficial in any way shape or form to the learner. You can identify churn courses by low % rates of failure (like 0%) and outdated knowledge and bad uncurrent teachers. |
Wolf report? What’s that? Got links?
It sounds very familiar to me, the teachers are changed about all the time and the course assignments seem to be rehashed questions from ten years ago. ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sload |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sload World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:39 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think we discussed similar on a different thread ages ago? But regardless that sounds piss poor.
I finished my HNC last year and if I had have been granted assistance I would have been able to do the HND in one year so I would have finished that this year. Alas I couldn't get the help with my employer being in big financial trouble and now it looks like my employer is going tits up anyway.
They have now changed the structure of the whole thing So regardless of the fact I have ten units, I would still have to waste two years of my life to do only six units.
I think if I get the opportunity I will just go for a foundation degree into uni then go for a degree to finish. This is compounded for me personally by my commute to Doncaster from Coventry every week when I have a reasonable uni within walking distance.
As to my lecturers, only three were poor, the rest were good and one was excellent, he also retired last year which is a shame. The thing I found with the maths specifically was that there was so much to cram into the lessons to achieve the sylabus. Although the tutor I had was good, if you didnt 'get' it he would only have a limited time to try to help you before he had to move on.
A few struggled and maths is really not my forte but I was able to educate myself outside of the classroom which seriously helped and in turn I ended up helping a few class mates here and there. This was also the first time I upped my grade in maths which felt good
As to losing your passion, well where do you actually want to take it? What do you want to be when you grow up then?
Technically I am a little overqualified for my position but I found that its a nice addition and opens a few more doors with job hunting. ____________________ Honda Varadero >> Triumph Speed Four >> Honda CBR1100xx |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aff World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:21 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
In a very similar situation, doing day release from workk for a BND (apprenticeship) and eventually a HND though a college. First year was very good, high(ish) quality of teachers and support, and overall went very smoothly. The next year, their main supporting employer cut anlot of their funding to engineering and as a result I had 1 lecturer from half 8 in the morning till 8 at night.
On top of that, I had possibly the worst teacher I have ever met, completely disinterested, unless moaning about the government or how successful his failed business used to be.
When asked if I wanted to carry on to HND I declined and instead signed up to a OU course which I hope will suit my learning style much more.
Also employers (well mine at least) seem to like that fact that you can organise yourself enough to complete an OU degree while at work, just being enrolled has opened up doorways, as they treat working towards a degree almost as is you already have one. ____________________ Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fatpies |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fatpies World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Mar 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
In a nut shell, the 'teachers' which you refer to may not be qualified teachers, due to a change in the law around 2011. So therefore your 'teachers' may well be blokes dragged off the street with no teaching qualifications or knowledge of the subject which they are teaching, as you've correctly guessed. (Yes UK standards have dropped that far).
Colleges love this because it reduces their wage bills massively. Government loves this because it means more teachers per pupils.
Colleges respond by making exams super easy to make up for the teaching staff.
The staff who 'teach' constantly change the curricula because of the law and 1 term contracts. Meaning subjects are all messed up. ____________________ "It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:59 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| killa wrote: | Suing them how? I don’t think I have much to go on, they will have yards of excuses and back up no doubt. |
Breach of contract.
You're paying them money. They've pulled a bait-and-switch.
You're not a kid, you're an adult who has chosen to pay for a service, and you're not getting it.
To paraphrase Burke, said all that is necessary for the triumph of incompetence is that good men do nothing. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sload |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sload World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:01 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| killa wrote: | | fatpies wrote: | TBH the higher the educational level the more independent learning there is supposed to be. College is level 3-4.
However you're right and wrong about teachers.
There are some bad'uns esp since the government reduced the entry requirements so people no longer need PGCE/ DTTLS/ PGDE they can get in via PTTLS (one month course 0% fail rate).
But there is an employment problem, 2011s grads only about 25% got jobs, and most couldn't complete the NQT year.
The bigger problem is colleges are corporations now and for profit.... which means bad but cheap teachers are hired above good expensive ones, good experienced ones. |
What am I wrong about? 90% Of teachers on these courses are not ‘teachers’ they seem like they’ve failed in their career and ended up doing a spot of teaching. I’m not familiar with all those acronyms for teaching qualifications, it doesn’t really make any difference to me.
|
There is a saying in engineering that "if you can do the job you teach it". I left collage 6 years ago and had exactly the same experience your getting now and it put me off staying longer and finishing my HNC in electrical engineering. Worst teacher we had was a black south African who openly admitted he was just there to get a pay check he didn't have a clue about even the basics and was completely useless, And the rest were straight off the plane Indians who though knowledgeable you could hardly understand. ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:12 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can't offer any direct advice, but I have been through a similar experience with HNC / D and I remember this feeling well.
You're experiencing something you haven't before; you're looking for value for money from a learning environment, while the environment is set up to milk its 'customers' and get them out the door as soon as possible. Think about when you were at college as a teenager - you wouldn't have given any real care to the quality of the teaching. But now, you're constantly assessing it and questioning. Probably not what some of these guys 'teaching' are used to...
It's entirely possible there are some lecturers (maybe not actually yours, but still within the faculty) who sympathise and understand you are hungry to learn things and would give you a better idea how to voice your frustration to a place that would get results.
Independent learning is only as good as the qualification it sets you up for, and of course you can only aim for this qualification and standard with guidance from the people who will be grading; you either need a personal tutor or *something*.
When you've got the qualification at the end of all this, you'll be extremely proud you stuck at it and dug deep.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:27 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Kradmelder wrote: |
why do you have lecturers who cant speak English? WTF? are you ous living? in the Punjab?
|
Mine was a south London collage, very few white students/metal detectors on the front doors/projectors and tables etc chained to the floor to stop them being stolen. Very rough place, always remember teachers having to lock the classroom door at the start of each lesson to stop marauding blacks from disrupting lessons. ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| syl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 syl World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Dec 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kradmelder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kradmelder World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:20 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
its why there is paper and there is paper. Im sure a degree from Oxford counts for a lot more than a degree from southern wankchavshire college, signed by Professor Shabalala, with a PhD from the university of Boongiebungieland. One will get a you a good job in many countries; the other will get you looked at with suspicion and derision
Like here paper from one of the black universities is worth zero, and even the white ones are now rated according to whether they adjusted their standards to improve the black pass rate and get government subsidies, or whether they kept international standards with international standard lecturers. Which means you pay more as few darkies pass and they get little state funding. You get what you pay for.
Of our degrees, all degrees prior to 1990 from white universities are internationally recognised. After 1994, many of the unis were delisted as they dropped standards.
It is a senseless exercise getting worthless paper. Like investing in Zim dollars. ____________________ 2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:44 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whoa, ok, I’ve learned quite a bit here and obviously I should have used my own initiative and read up a bit more.
I feel like a fool at times. I was trying to be the good employee and undertake more education, I’ve had a stream of bad teachers…even in secondary…I’ve struggled at certain subjects since.
My ONC was so different to this course, the lecturers were the old school, they knew the subject very well and the teaching was firm but fair.
It sounds like the reasons you guys have stated further up this thread is the reason why since I’ve come back to college, things have gone downhill. The older guys have nearly all but gone, replaced with people who really aren’t cut out for the job.
| Sload wrote: | As to losing your passion, well where do you actually want to take it? What do you want to be when you grow up then?
Technically I am a little overqualified for my position but I found that its a nice addition and opens a few more doors with job hunting. |
I want to stay in design but I’m working for the oil and gas drilling industry. I want to design products on 3D CAD for someone, in a field I’m interested in. Toys, games, bikes, cars…things like that. ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fawbish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fawbish World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:32 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Kradmelder wrote: |
its why there is paper and there is paper. Im sure a degree from Oxford counts for a lot more than a degree from southern wankchavshire college, signed by Professor Shabalala, with a PhD from the university of Boongiebungieland. One will get a you a good job in many countries; the other will get you looked at with suspicion and derision
Like here paper from one of the black universities is worth zero, and even the white ones are now rated according to whether they adjusted their standards to improve the black pass rate and get government subsidies, or whether they kept international standards with international standard lecturers. Which means you pay more as few darkies pass and they get little state funding. You get what you pay for.
Of our degrees, all degrees prior to 1990 from white universities are internationally recognised. After 1994, many of the unis were delisted as they dropped standards.
It is a senseless exercise getting worthless paper. Like investing in Zim dollars. |
You make some wonderfully valid points sometimes but shut the fuck up.
I dont doubt what you say is true for the most part. But for fucks sake man, I'm so fucking tired of reading your shit. I dont want to set you to enemy etc because half the time you provide valid input and are a funny bloke!
I completed an FdEng and a BEng, part time, alongside working from being a youngster. There were two or three black people on the same course, mixed backgrounds all of us. Absolutely no difference between "us and them" - they we working and doing the degree part time, and so was I. They helped me, I helped them.
I dont even care about the racism. It's just the constant onslaught. WE GET IT. ____________________ "Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fatpies |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fatpies World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Mar 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:46 - 13 May 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Sload wrote: |
Can you link up for your statements? I only ask because that does sound a little too far fetched.
|
Look up the history of IFL (institute for learning), people complained that they had a monopoly as you had to be an IFL member to get QTS (qualified teacher status). The government had a think about it and decided IFL was voluntary to join, and IFL was given a deadline to make themselves self funding by 2015.
As a result nobody who teaches has to actually be a member of IFL or get QTS. Which has certain requirements, i.e. PGCE, DTTLS etc
The other thing is free schools, free schools which get more government funding are allowed to take on anybody they deem fit as a teacher.
| Kradmelder wrote: | why do you have lecturers who cant speak English? WTF? are you ous living? in the Punjab? |
Its a question of cost.... you can get a very highly qualified overseas teachers much cheaper than you can get British ones. British ones tend cost £20-50 an hour (or more). You can pay overseas ones just over minimum wage.
| Kradmelder wrote: |
How can a university hire people to lecture without a proper degree, a work history and publication record?
|
Again its a question of cost...... unqualified teachers are cheaper, and those with a ton of experience in industries are allowed to teach while concurrently gaining qualifications.
Its driven by education budget cuts, certain subjects the government gives more money for, so FE colleges focus on those to balance their books. Other less well funded subjects are marginalised.
Maths and literacy is getting absolutely hammered, a FE college I contract for sometimes gets £700 per student for maths AND English. Meaning it is only viable with low paid teachers and massive class sizes.
Which is where we are at now..... ____________________ "It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fawbish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fawbish World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drzsta |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drzsta World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aff World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sload |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sload World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|