Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Visor up or down?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

peppy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:41 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Visor up or down? Reply with quote

Just the other day a qualified instructor told me that you don't have to ride with your visor down if you don't feel like it: "There's no law against it, it's up to you".

Now, I had previously thought that it was mandatory to ride with some kind of protective shield between your eyes and the elements, whether it was a visor, or CE-approved spectacles / sunnies.

What is the situation?

Zx6man
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

no law with using it up or down, but you must keep it down if you wear non approved glasses or sunnies...that makes it an offence....I think

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:43 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your instructor says - its up to you.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 16:44 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to you indeed.

I always lift my visor up if I am coming up to some traffic lights where I will have to stop, to get some air.

Riding through busy towns and filtering I always have it up too.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zx6man wrote:
no law with using it up or down, but you must keep it down if you wear non approved glasses or sunnies...that makes it an offence....I think

No it doesn't. The choice to wear your visor up or down has no bearing on whether you wear glasses or not.

There is nothing that states that corrective lenses have to conform to certain regs, but is an advantage if they are plastic rather than glass, and sunglasses use is unregulated.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:31 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over 20mph I will have it down, evil bugs just seem to aim for my eyes. Rolling Eyes

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 01:57 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always have my visor down , bumblebees ain`t to nice when they get stuck in your lid. Smile

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can legally ride an open face helmet. the only law on helmets is that you have to wear one, and that the strap has to be done up. otherwise its all up to you.

As its summer my visor stays closed. int he winter its open a notch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing i can add to this is that there's nothing worse than a dirty visor, and nothing better than a clean one Cool

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 03:36 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing i can add is if behind a construction lorry, keep that visor down. The tyres on those things will pick every little bit of dust, loose gravel etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: what I was told Reply with quote

I've never been advised visor up or down but what I have been told by my instructor is that if you have a flip front helmet (you know, the chin guard, visor and all flip up top) then it is illegal to ride with this open... kinda contradictory if it is legal to ride with a face open style helmet. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: what I was told Reply with quote

Peat wrote:
I've never been advised visor up or down but what I have been told by my instructor is that if you have a flip front helmet (you know, the chin guard, visor and all flip up top) then it is illegal to ride with this open... kinda contradictory if it is legal to ride with a face open style helmet. Rolling Eyes

The reason it is illegal to have them open while you ride, is due to the fact that the chin guard is designed to provide rigidity. Having it up removes this rigidity and the helmet will provide next to no protection.
If you want air - put your visor up, not the whole chin guard. Confused

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:57 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the chin guard is designed to provide rigidity. Having it up removes this rigidity and the helmet will provide next to no protection

ah ha... now I really should have thought of that Thumbs Up ! Still, on the more sweaty days in slow London traffic the whole thing has got to ride high naughty or not... it's just too damn hot under there otherwise!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:09 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: what I was told Reply with quote

Peat wrote:

That may be true, but I think it depends on the actual helmet and whether it was homologated as a full face or an open helmet.

All the best

Keith

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Caberg J1 Plus and rode passed loads of police cars with the whole chainbar up!

Not one of them battered an eye lid.

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: same same Reply with quote

Yep, I have the same helmet and do the same frequently but it's like most things of that nature, the police don't really care... (ever heard of anyone being fined £500 for riding their bike on the pavement? - but that's the law)

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matter of flip up helmets being worn with chin bar up or down is a somewhat grey area of law at the moment, simply because some manufacturers submit the helmet for testing as an open faced (the chin bar is an add on) and some submit is as a full faced.

For example Shoei's helmet is approved as an open faced whilst the BMW system helmet is tested as a full face, although the area that protects the skull remains a constant, as someone rightly stated the rigidity of a flip up with the chin bar lifted is reduced.

So it really comes down to a common sense application, but there have not been any publicised prosecutions of this type for a long time simply because the courts are afraid of an unsafe conviction.

peppy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, with a system / flip-front helmet, if you are riding with the chin bar up and you come off, you had better make sure you don't roll and catch the bar on the ground. Ouch!

rs2_matrix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:55 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my step-dad is a policeman and there is no law in having your visor

up, but if you get something into your eye, for example a fly or a

stone, then your in trouble. always have it down! (on the safe side)

rs2_matrix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:56 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my step-dad is a policeman and there is no law in having your visor

up, but if you get something into your eye, for example a fly or a

stone, then your in trouble. always have it down! (on the safe side)

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:16 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times when having your visor down is not a good thing, for example it's steaming up. It's better to get a wet face than it is to not be able to see anything.

I wear contact lenses and tend to always close my lid if i'm going over about 30 as my eyes dry out and everything goes blurry. Plus, after looking at my visor today, its covered in bugs and i'd rather have them on the outside than turning up at a job application with greenfly wings sticking out between my teeth. Not a good first impression Confused

Munday
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:24 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When riding through town or in traffic I tend to have my visor up but anything over about 15mph I put it down as it really kills when you get flies hit you in the face!
Its personal preference though, some people prefer riding with their visor down all the time, I don't usually mind because my helmet has vents so I can breathe ok. Smile

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only put my visor down when i am doing about 40+, i don't like having my visor down as i feel more in control with it up as i feel the wind hear more and get a better sense of speed and movement. Anyone else think the same as me?

TwoStrokePsyc...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno bout the law, but personally I like the wind in my face.
Prefer a full face after I saw a pic of a guy with his face taken off on the tar.

The other day I had a bee fly into my helmet at high speed.....nothings gonna make me ride with a open visor again I swear!

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:55 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc_Buck wrote:
I don't like having my visor down as i feel more in control with it up as i feel the wind hear more and get a better sense of speed and movement. Anyone else think the same as me?

Yes, me. I like to be able to hear whats going on around me. Good to have another sense in play other than sight alone. Can get noisy though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2