Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Can my employer take my credit card tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stevekingchef
Crazy Courier



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Can my employer take my credit card tips? Reply with quote

Hi

Can the owner from my restaurant take my credit card tips due to a shortage in the bar?

I'm a chef and have no access to tills,or stock ,being a chef!

We have a bar manager,restaurant manager and general manager who I'm my mind they should be accountable?


Where do I stand in the eyes of the law,my team have had same treatment and they need it more so than I .

Thanks


Steve
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the poncing scumbag refuses to give you your property (the money), 'steal' it in goods.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you share their tips then you should share their shortfall. Of course, if you are tipped individually then tell them to do one.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Pay and Work Rights Helpline a call, they will be able to advise you.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/overview
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevekingchef
Crazy Courier



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys,

But I struggle to see how my kitchen porter/wash up guys who have zero access to anything should lose out because of bad managers ,surely if we have a bar manager he is accountable?

If my food stock was down should a waitress pay?no I'm the chef I'm accountable!

I will look into this more I'm furious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your contract have to say on it?

In the meantime, it sounds like everyone's having steak tonight.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevekingchef
Crazy Courier



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looking like that ,ill order in a nice ribeye for my tea!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the manager tells you to get some food for him , prepare it , put it on the plate , then stick your fingers up your bum and handle his food Laughing Laughing Laughing
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is standard within the industry, I'm surprised you don't know about it already, or have experienced it before.

Legally it comes down to what your contract says, but more frequently in catering with very loose contracts, and a distinct lack of contracts (which are verbally implied after a time) it comes down to how the owner runs it and how he as always run it.

It's pretty common for big chains (Cote/Cafe Rouge/Punch) to take all tips, including cash ones and split them up after taking a cut and dish them out as bonuses for management and for the biggest tip earners of the min wage staff. Similarly it works the other way and they can take tips to make up for GP deficit, and missing steaks/bubbly.

All card tips are supposed to be taken by the employer and added into your pay and taxed as they are classed as an income and should be declared and taxed. Cash tips you are supposed to declare too, but obviously noone does.

In several places (wagamuma off the top of my head) the company collect all tips, then split the total 85/15 with the kitchen. The tips are then split up by hours worked and appropriately shared out.

I presume you are the Head Chef? If so, generally it's accepted in industry that Head/Sous will be on a salary and don't get a tip share, which is usually only for kitchen hourly staff and FOH hourly staff.

In short, did you talk about it at the beginning, if not he can do what he likes under the guises of verbally implied contract, and at the end of the day, if you are management and the figures are down, he sees it as you are not making him the money you are paid to make him.

As for the taking stock to make up for it, generally the reason GP is down in restaurants is either being shit at your job through wastage, bad costing and mis-ordering or through staff stealing. Generally fillet steak and expensive wines go missing.
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevekingchef
Crazy Courier



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi


Thanks pyro,I'm the sous chef ,and as you stated I never normally get tip but I do here,as I stated I'm more concerned for my team,as they are on crap wage work hard and I feel is harsh that due to the incompetence of three front of house managers and their stock my guys suffer,the bar manager has just shrugged it of,can't explain where a barrel of beers has gone,bottles of vodka,etc etc


Well I think I'm gonna go cause carnage anyway I I feel I owe it to the boys!


Steve
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take as much from the kitchens in value as they took from the bar, plus 25% extra, then see how they like it when their tips are robbed by the scumbag running the place (who thinks punishing everyone for the crimes of a few is just, instead of getting off his shiftless arse and finding the culprit/s).

Or just do what 95% of everyone else would do...huff and puff a bit, then bend over and relax your sphincter.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevekingchef wrote:
surely if we have a bar manager he is accountable?

Depends. If (like many bar staff) he is expected to serve up 500ml + foam as a pint and is actually serving up 568 (i.e. a pint) then yes he's going to have a stock shortage in the eyes of the management. But it isn't his fault if he's giving customers what they're paying for. I support the guy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed on national radio a couple of years ago and a solicitor stated that if the tips are paid via credit card it is the business owner's discretion as to how and if they are divvied up; however, if paid in cash it is a legal requirement that they go to the staff serving them.

I'm not a legal-bod but that stuck in my head as I now generally tip by cash as a result.
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cimbian wrote:
This was discussed on national radio a couple of years ago and a solicitor stated that if the tips are paid via credit card it is the business owner's discretion as to how and if they are divvied up; however, if paid in cash it is a legal requirement that they go to the staff serving them.

I'm not a legal-bod but that stuck in my head as I now generally tip by cash as a result.


Could you please quote the legislation for this? The link posted above doesn't say anything about it and I've never heard of it in 7 years of catering. Indeed as I said above, you are supposed to declare all tips, and although there was a big scandal 6 years ago about people using tips to make up to min wage, I doubt if it was a legal requirement that all cash tips go to the server, the large chains I mentioned above, as well as most of the others in the UK would continue to run against legislation.

In restaurants where waiters keep their own tips, they will prefer cash than card tips. In chains FOH staff are instructed to be vague and happy about the tip systems, whereas in smaller independent restaurants they will be honest about whether they keep the tips or not.

I'm not sure a solicitor can make up laws, whether he is on national radio or not.
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Depends. If (like many bar staff) he is expected to serve up 500ml + foam as a pint and is actually serving up 568 (i.e. a pint) then yes he's going to have a stock shortage in the eyes of the management. But it isn't his fault if he's giving customers what they're paying for. I support the guy.


The allowance is around 5% head is allowed under weights and measures.
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro. wrote:
cimbian wrote:
This was discussed on national radio a couple of years ago and a solicitor stated that if the tips are paid via credit card it is the business owner's discretion as to how and if they are divvied up; however, if paid in cash it is a legal requirement that they go to the staff serving them.

I'm not a legal-bod but that stuck in my head as I now generally tip by cash as a result.
Could you please quote the legislation for this? ...

I do not know the statute but while looking for other stuff I came across this page - Bar & Restaurant Work: Ownership of Tips (clicky link). From October 2012. May or may not be of some help.


The HMRC guide e24 pdf file can be viewed if you click here.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro. wrote:


Could you please quote the legislation for this?


No.
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 97.49 Kb