BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha ysr50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

LittleLucy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:36 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Yamaha ysr50 Reply with quote

So, I'm a very short 5" female new rider. I was looking to get a ysr50 for the novelty of having a miniature sports bike to practice on (id get a full sized 125 before I took the test) but I've seen it listed alot as a sports moped. Can anyone confirm this? Im looking for something with gears on obvs Wink and its the nicest looking thing on the short bikes list. If anyone knows of any fashionable short 125's throw them my way too please Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-bandit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a 125

PaulS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Suzuki VanVan
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Yamaha ysr50 Reply with quote

LittleLucy wrote:
So, I'm a very short 5" female new rider.

You're only 5 Inches tall??!??!!? Wink

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Yamaha ysr50 Reply with quote

computid wrote:
LittleLucy wrote:

Thumbelina?

Seriously though, if you're liking the sports look, go for something like an Aprilia RS125?

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

id go straight onto a 125 if i was you and the smallest sporty 125 i can think of is the old cbr (before 2011) seat heights like 770mm which is pretty low (same seat height as the suzuki van van) it's also a light bike so u shouldnt struggle to push it while sat on it.

If i was you i wouldn't get a sports bike and just get a cruiser as u may struggle to find a sports bike that you can fit on and ride comfortably. Last thing u want is not to be able to support ur bike at a pair of traffic lights and fall off.
Cruiser's have a much lower seat height or a YBR 125 as there also proper short bikes.

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you overweight.

If the answer is 'yes' then I would steer clear of the 50cc, and also consider the Atkins.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height doesn't mean much, it's all about the thighs inside leg.

I agree about the CBR125, it's a lovely, petite little thing.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Yamaha ysr50 Reply with quote

computid wrote:
LittleLucy wrote:

Pocket version Smile

The seat height is partially adjustable Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:30 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YSR50 is a novelty. A big kids toy. They called it a Gag bike when they were new. Its a bit of a giggle, and something to have a bit of a laugh with at a bike meet... its NOT a learner bike.

1/ Its not a moped. It may be 50cc but it makes over 7bhp as stock. That means it doesn't qualify to be registered as a moped, which must be under 3.5bhp and or limited to under 30mph or so. Its a motorbike.

2/ its short. its small wheeled and its incredibly unstable. This is NOT good for a learner to get to grips with learning to ride... before you add a highly tuned little engine that has to be worked hard to get it to do anything useful... or a cramped uncompromised riding possition to try and waggle gears and stuff from!

3/ Its not even very light! Specs say 92Kg! Thats only a couple of bags of sugar less than my air-cooled Yamaha DT175MX was, and that was a full sized, motorcycle with an engine three and half times the displacement! Why this is relevent I'm not too sure to be honest... other than the statistic rather amazed me! Where does such a little bike put so much mass! But anyway.

I once had the misfortune of having to give a girl who had bought a full power Derbi 50, which is a similar natured device (full power not a moped, incredibly peaky 50) a CBT course. She had bought it because a) it was pretty. b) it was light so she thought that would make it easy to manage c) it wasn't very fast and she thought that would mean it wouldn't be too scary.

It did her confidence absolutely NO good, stalling the thing every time she tried to pull away from a stand still, or when I got her to rev it, so it wouldn't stall.... screwing her eyes up, and turning her head away from the noise and asking mutely "Is it going to blow up!" then having it try and hop the front wheel when she clumsily dumped the clutch with the throttle pinned! The slow speed maneuvering was even worse, with restricted steering lock and poor balance, and during the day when she had moved up a group or two... she actually rode the thing into a brick wall.. and was sent back to me for more confidence building! I DID manage to get her up to speed and on the road, incredibly, BUT boy! did that little bike make it hard work for her!

GET A PROPPER 125 - YBR, CBF, CG! A regulation Learner-Commuter - they just do what it says on the box!

Your 5ft... thats actually an inc taller than a lilliputian lady freind of mine, who probably weighed 6 stone wringing wet and used to ride an old, 1960's era Triumph Bonaville 650, as an every day bike. Kick-start only, she put the boys to shame showing how its all about technique not mass or muscle when it comes to kicking a bike like that into life, or rolling one onto its stand, or paddling it around in and out of parking spaces.

If she can manage a Bonny - sure you ought to be able to manage a little YBR or similar! But if you want to check it out, they do a slightly cruisereish 'custom' version with a lower stepped saddle.

There is also the YBR 'Custom's ancestor, the SR125 thats a very useful and hardy little commuter, that can often be picked up for bargain prices. Another to ponder is the Honda CM125 twin, which is another semi-cruiser, with low seat; and very smooth, if not very powerful twin cylinder engine. Later versions were badged the 'Rebel' and are the basis of a lot of more modern Chinese 125 cruisers.

BUT, and I say it time and time again., DONT get obsessed by seat height stats!

Tall fella's are the same, and want biog tall dirt bikes, becouse the seats a long way from teh floor, while short girls get pointed at cruisers 'cos the seats close to the floor.

On CBT you ought to be tought 'The Safety Position'. This is how you sit on a bike that is stopped, like at a junction or in traffic, or whatever.

Both hands on the bars, right hand covering, but not applying front brake. Bum on saddle. LEFT foot on the floor, propping bike up. RIGHT Foot on the peg, covering or applying rear brake to hold the bike stationary on an incline.

Ie: you ought ONLY have your left foot on the floor, and if the seat is a big high, JUST means that when you are in the Safety Poss... you might be a tad more leaned to the left!

You dont flat-foot to the floor noth sides in normal stopping, and when riding.... the IMPORTANT DIMENSION is not how far off teh floor your arse is, but how far from yoru arse the foot-pegs are! THIS is not often quotred in the manufacturers specs.... and even if it WAS.... whether its comfy or not depends on not just the distance but how you might have to bend your legs or lean your back to put your feet there!

And defying the logic that low seat height cruisers must be good for shorties, and tall seat dirt bikes good for lanks... NO.

Low riding cruioser puts bum close to floor, but forward located foot-pegs out infront of the engine can mean little legs cant reach the frigging back brake of gear-lever properly!

High-Riding dirt bike, puts bum a long way from floor... but conversely... high ground clerance under the engine means the pegs are often lifted right up out the way, and can be closer and more painfully possitioned under riders back-side than on a conventional commuter!

Seriousely, I mentioned my DT175... that was a dirt bike, and it had a 32" seat height, useful when I have a 34" inside leg.... but with 14" of air under the engine, the pegs were 16" off the floor so only 16" from the saddle, making it rather cramped for me when riding.

My O/H (5'5" and 30" legs) had a Chinese Honda Rebel Copy.... 24" seat height, and pegs only 6" off the deck... a mere 18" difference so more favourable than the Dirt-Bike.... ONLY they were also pushed forwards to infront of the engine, so actually about 26" away from the saddle.... quite comfy for me.... but poor Snowie once stretched out could barely work the gear or brake levers! I had to modify them for her!

We both ride CB125 Super-Dreams. Seat height is quoted at 30". Footpegs are conventionally located, about on the verticle line through where you sit your bum, and are about 6" off the floor, so about 24" from the saddle. This is a pretty neutral riding position, and with elegs slightly bent, one size pretty much fits all, and Snowie rides one with her little legs as easily as I do mine with my long ones. But the Super-Dream is a reletively largish 125, physically. CG or YBR or EN, or CBF are all a little lower in the seat, and probably have the foot-pegs slightly ahead of axis through the arse, which makes them a tad more 'sit up and beg' neutral and even more one size fits all, 'control position' motorcycles.

In short. Ignote brochure seat height specs, they mean bog all. Dont follow the notion that low seat cruiser will necesserily be better and a high seat dirt bike worse for a shorty.. go sit on some bikes, and a) adopt the safety possition; Hands on bars, bum on seat, left foot on floor, right on peg covering the brake. See how it feels. b) Put bike on stable surface on the centre stand and or get some-one to hold it up for you while you sit it as if riding, both feet on the pegs hands on the bars.. see how it feels. c) in each scenario, move the handle bar through full steering movement, lock to lock, and try working ALL the controlls.

The erganomics of all machines are different, and the width and shape of the seat matters, the curve and contours of the tank matter, placement of levers matters, how much you can move around on teh seat matters, all as much as peg to seat to bar dimensions....

What Does NOT bludy matter very much is how high of the frigging floor the seat happens to be! EVEN come trying to swing your leg over it to get on! Having a raised pillion seat or a wide saddle or just a rack or top box will.... how high it is at rest doesn't... it REALLY doesn't!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PaulS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Can OP ride a 125? Reply with quote

Don't think we picked up why OP was talking about a 50cc (i.e. not yet 17?). If 17 or over then don't even think about a 50cc, can't keep up with traffic etc., get a 125, etc.

Incidentally I'm not exactly a sky-scraper at 5' 8" and yet can get both feet on the deck so easily on my YBR (not custom) that it feels 'low'.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:21 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Can OP ride a 125? Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
Don't think we picked up why OP was talking about a 50cc MOPED (i.e. not yet 17?). If 17 or over then don't even think about a 50cc MOPED can't keep up with traffic etc., get a 125, etc.

EFA... 50cc does not = 'moped'. Has to be less than 50cc, and less than 3.5bhp/35mph by old standard, less than 30mph by modern ones. Thats what makes it a moped, not a motorbike.

The YSF isn't a moped. It's too fast and too powerful, and would need to be registered as a motorcycle, not a moped, so wouldn't qualify for a 16 year-old to ride on moped entitlement anyway.

As for being slow... well, 7bhp its probably faster than many Chinese CG copy-motor powered 125's! But then that's because, while only 50cc... its not a moped!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Linux
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot of 125's all come in at about 780mm seat height give or take.

There's a few things that comes to mind which should allow you to at least tip toe when sat on these bikes.

Buy a used seat of ebay or from a breakers yard for what ever bike you go with, and go to youtube for video guides on how to remove the foam padding to a point where it's still comfortable but now only half the thickness.

Depending on the bike, you may be able to lower the front end via the yolks and set the rear shock to the softest setting so it gives more when sat on the bike.

Buy a decent pair of biking boots.

Or you could go with a cruiser style bike.

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_eliminator_125_2010.php

PaulS
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Can OP ride a 125? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Don't think we picked up why OP was talking about a 50cc MOPED (i.e. not yet 17?). If 17 or over then don't even think about a 50cc MOPED can't keep up with traffic etc., get a 125, etc.

EFA... 50cc does not = 'moped'. Has to be less than 50cc, and less than 3.5bhp/35mph by old standard, less than 30mph by modern ones. Thats what makes it a moped, not a motorbike.

The YSF isn't a moped. It's too fast and too powerful, and would need to be registered as a motorcycle, not a moped, so wouldn't qualify for a 16 year-old to ride on moped entitlement anyway.

As for being slow... well, 7bhp its probably faster than many Chinese CG copy-motor powered 125's! But then that's because, while only 50cc... its not a moped!

Thanks Mike, you really know your stuff! Never thought even a Chinese 125 could even be mentioned in same sentence as any 50cc, and always thought 16 years old and 50cc were the same thing. Surprised

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:09 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
asking mutely

That is truly Shakespearean. Cool

Quick aside, the new AM category has a maximum "design speed" (lulwut?) of just 45kph or not quite 28mph.

That's utterly ridiculous and unsafe for modern roads: you would be better off with an electrically assisted bicycle, which is perhaps the intention.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he said asking muttley.

https://laperainbilico.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/muttley_gq_9mar11_rex_b.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:56 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
asking mutely

That is truly Shakespearean. Cool

Must be enfused by the Stratford Corporation water of my home town... bit like Scots slipping into uninteligible gallic prose under the influence of Burns Juice Wink

But, you had to be there... poor girl, at points she was in tears in her helmet! BRAND NEW bike, delivered to the school by the dealer in a van that morning!

Rogerborg wrote:
Quick aside, the new AM category has a maximum "design speed" (lulwut?) of just 45kph or not quite 28mph.

That's utterly ridiculous and unsafe for modern roads: you would be better off with an electrically assisted bicycle, which is perhaps the intention.

It's pathetic, isn't it... but, I wouldn't go so far as to say its 'unsafe'... going faster rarely makes you 'safer'!

What's 'unsafe' about mopeds is that having an engine, being required to have a licence, Insurance and a helmet, people's expectations is that they SHOULD keep up with traffic.

Why? They wouldn't expect to 'keep up' with traffic on a push bike? Why on a moped?

It's people not understanding or not accepting the limitations of the vehicle, and either TRYING to keep up with traffic, or letting traffic bully them into the gutter, that makes them dangerous.

Hand-Gun philosophy, I know. No such thing as a dangerous gun; guns only fire bullets when a person pulls the trigger... ergo there's no such thing as a dangerous vehicle.... just dangerous drivers!

Mopeds have their uses..... they are just very limited, and people tend to expect so much more from them than they can ever possibly really fulfil!

trevor machine wrote:

With my spelling/dislexia...... you could be right!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1