Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gaming keyboard/mouse

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Gaming keyboard/mouse Reply with quote

Any suggestions looking to replace my current wireless ones with something more gaming orientated.

Max price £150 for the pair.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get Logitech stuff.

I have a G500 mouse, the stupid fabric braiding split before I'd even taken it of the box (because of how they wrap the cord up to ship it). They figure because of the fabric braiding, the rubber sheath for the wires underneath doesn't have to be as thick, but this just means that the wires aren't as protected and they eventually break and then the mouse is worthless - their forum has many complaints of this nature. It can do five sensitivity settings but two of them are locked out of use until the first time you run the programming software! The mousewheel is noisy as hell, too.

Do you like nag screens? We had Logitech cameras at college, and EVERY BASTARD TIME you fired up the software it would hassle you to register, even if you'd already done it twenty times.

I hear Razr stuff is good? Razz

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:17 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Don't get Logitech stuff.

I have a G500 mouse, the stupid fabric braiding split before I'd even taken it of the box (because of how they wrap the cord up to ship it). It can do five sensitivity settings but two of them are locked out of use until the first time you run the programming software! The mousewheel is noisy as hell, too.

Do you like nag screens? We had Logitech cameras at college, and EVERY BASTARD TIME you fired up the software it would hassle you to register, even if you'd already done it twenty times.

I hear Razr stuff is good? Razz

My Current stuff is Logitech.

It wasn't Cheap and there are some issues with the keys on the keyboard being stiff. I stripped the whole thing down and cleared a years worth of crumbs and hair out of it and it was still shitty.

However the battery life on both KB and Mouse is really good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-9000022-EU-Vengeance-Performance-Gaming/dp/B00BCHGSWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1368540848&sr=1-1&keywords=Corsair+Vengeance+M65

Leaning towards this for the mouse...

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Cyborg Strike 7 keyboard and Cyborg RAT.7 mouse, though I use the Nostromo claw for most serious games.

Serious? Eh?

All the gear, no idea.

snomag
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking with Logitech for a while :p

I had a pretty great experience with their customer support once my G35 headphones broke after two years of usage and they sent me a brand new one for free. Keep in mind they give you a 2 year warranty only, but since they knew it was a faulty one, agreed -offered actually- to replace it without any hassle.

Also, I had my logitech speakers for 6+years now and they're still working just fine.

So my recommendation for a mouse would be the Logitech G9x. I had it for over a year now I think and it's absolutely brilliant if you like this type of mouse. (palm grip vs claw grip and all that)

For the keyboard I can't suggest anything. I use a shitty one as I keep spilling beer on them... :p

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a g15 keyboard for many years and loved it. got a g19 now and if im honest i prefered my g15 but that's probably just due to the fact im not used to it yet. keys feel a little different.

most people these days are going for mechanical keyboards (red switch mostly) - Filco is one i've been recommended many times. mates got a tenkeyless and loves it.

as for mouse i had a trusty intellimouse v3 (or most prefer the explorer) for years and years but i eventually decided to upgrade a year or so ago and ended up with a steelseries xai and man its a fantastic mouse! just spot on!

coupled with a razor fabric mat is silky.

i like symmetrical mice so thats the reason i liked the old intellimice and why i like the xai. don't like all the side buttons being on the thumb.

if thats what you prefer then by all means go for an 'ergo' one but i can't recommend steelseries enough.. lovely product

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Spawn Gaming Mouse which is pretty good in fact making it easier even to go back/forward on the browser with it's thumb buttons which thankfully I got it free from Intel for achieving certain goals on their website.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:34 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use a Logitech G5. Only got rid because I wanted more buttons.

A friend uses Logitech G700 which seems nice. Would of got one myself but there wasn't any in stock at the time. Software seems good and will load your different settings when you start each program.

So now I have the Mad Catz MMO7. The software doesn't have an auto load profile on selected program start, which is a pain when you forget to activate it Smile

Spudly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go with Hetzers's suggestion and get a Saitek keyboard/mouse combo. Their gear looks pretty good and they are a good brand.

With a higher budget, I've been dreaming of an Optimus Maximus keyboard, just because it seems to be as much a thing of beauty as it is functional. $1200US though.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/2446994680_8ceb99d301.jpg

The face of each key is a small, but high resolution OLED display, and each key can be programmed to display anything. The entire keyboard is programmable in fact, to the extent you can play animations and so on, treating the keyboard like a collection of individual pixels. It's an incredible thing and I want one.

There was only a limited run of them, back in 2007/2008, the current model is much more compact, but just as interesting.

https://interaktywnie.com/public/upload/img/orginal/03/01/30151_optimus-popularis-by-art-lebedev-02.jpg

I know, it's over budget, but I'm fueling your dreams. What's life without dreams?

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Rat 9 mouse although in hindsight I'd probably go with the 7 as the batteries on the 9 are a time bomb.

As far as keyboards go, the only keyboard I've had that didn't have me reaching back for my trusty model M within a week is my Corsair K90, I'm not a fan of the mix of switch types and it's sensitivity takes a little getting used to but it's firmly rooted on my desk now and theres no denying that it's one of the best looking keyboards out there. The new version ditches the non mechanical switches too which is a bonus Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:51 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
I run a Rat 9 mouse although in hindsight I'd probably go with the 7 as the batteries on the 9 are a time bomb.

As far as keyboards go, the only keyboard I've had that didn't have me reaching back for my trusty model M within a week is my Corsair K90, I'm not a fan of the mix of switch types and it's sensitivity takes a little getting used to but it's firmly rooted on my desk now and theres no denying that it's one of the best looking keyboards out there. The new version ditches the non mechanical switches too which is a bonus Thumbs Up

Funny you say that I was leaning toward the K90 to match the mouse and there is apparently a K95 coming out in a couple of weeks with all mechanical keys, so I decided to wait for that Thumbs Up

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corsair K95 !

https://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/cms/images/K95_LandingPage_1200x1620.png

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini-screen keyboard would be great for learning Dvorak.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, my keyboard is great for learning dvorak Laughing

https://www.daskeyboard.com/images/products/mechanical_keyboard.jpg

They also do ones with writing on but because it's mechanical you can easily remove the keys and rearrange them.

Mechanical is the way to go for a keyboard but make sure you get the right sort, Cherry MX Red for gaming, Blue / Brown for typing

Blue
https://4-ps.googleusercontent.com/h/www.daskeyboard.com/images/products/features/260x188xforce-diagram-click.png.pagespeed.ic.j6rpMlsFEP.png

Brown
https://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/h/www.daskeyboard.com/images/products/features/260x204xforce-diagram-soft.png.pagespeed.ic.KYkoCXnLX-.png

Red
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/guide/graph-mx-red.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gfrancisdev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:

Mechanical is the way to go for a keyboard but make sure you get the right sort, Cherry MX Red for gaming, Blue / Brown for typing

I think you'll find the ibm model m is the best mechanical keyboard (and best keyboard overall) ever

cyborg r.a.t.7 and a 1989 model m for me, mouse is about 80 odd, keyboard about 40 odd (and solid enough to kill people with)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfrancisdev wrote:
I think you'll find the ibm model m is the best mechanical keyboard (and best keyboard overall) ever

Just incase anyone misses it Wink

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many model m design clones out there now. They are good and lots of people swear by them but they don't have this level of attention to detail:

https://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/metadot_das_keyboard_professional_2.jpg

It also has 10 key rollover (can register 10 keys all down at once) vs 3 for the model m.

Tactile keyboards are shit for gaming anyway. I always use my laptop keyboard for gaming as the keys are more button like in feel. The cherry red switches are shit for typing (i've tried them) but are supposed to be the shit for gaming (not tried)

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 19 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about if you do a bit of both?

I play some games such as Battlefield, Far Cry, Crysis, GTA, Star Wars and RTS games like C&C, Dawn of War. I also do a lot of typing. How bad are the Cherry MX red's for typing? I've heard some say they are pretty bad. I have never used the MX reds. I have only briefly played with the blues in a shop and they felt great, but I was only pressing random buttons in an attempt to get a general feel, so can't really make an informed decision as to whether they would be 'bad' for gaming?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 19 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have a Das Keyboard plugged into a laptop so i can use both. The distance you have to press the blue switches is further but then they give a nice crunchy click when they activate. To repress the the key you have to left your finger and press again deliberately. On the laptop i can do the same thing far easier. Playing kerbal space program on the das keyboard is a ball ache.
Places like PC world usually stock gaming keyboards that use the red switches so you could go try some out

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 19 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the curry's megastore and pc world at lakeside the other week and they had fvck all. That's where I tried the blue switches on one of the display units and that was pretty much all they had out on the floor. Every other keyboard was a miniature keyboard for use on media centre pcs. I will try another branch and see if they have a better selection out on the floor

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 19 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with typing on cherry reds is that they respond to very little force so even nudging keys as you go past them can often result in a keypress being registered. Whilst I admit I pretty much grew up with various Model Ms in hand, the fact remains that I'm significantly faster and more accurate on the old IBM. For games however the Corsair cuts chunks off my reaction times and thus it stays Thumbs Up

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a mechanical keyboard and a mouse from Razer. Stay away from Razer keyboards.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:31 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Get a mechanical keyboard and a mouse from Razer. Stay away from Razer keyboards.

wat?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a razor mouse, can't use the thing! Waste of £100.

I just ordered my other monitor and thought I'd treat myself to a new mouse.

£6 for a Trust Genius Net Scroll 100. My current net scroll 100 has holes worn down on both buttons.

Maybe I haven't found the right mouse yet but the cheap ones work better for me.

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my setup.

QPAD MK-50 Mechanical Keyboard with all Cherry MX Red switches.

https://bit.ly/16KpyXd
£61

Logitech G400 mouse (post angle snapping model, it's optical, polls at 1ghz and is a perfect gaming mouse for not much money in my opinion and that of many others, it is the same shape as the MX518 but minus the prediction)

https://amzn.to/WoGZBE
£28

Grab these 2, and and the MarkC mouse fix from the web that stops games from forcing mouse acceleration and you're good to go. I use 1400dpi on the mouse and very low sensitivity (pixel jumping) settings in games.

This setup does me well for gaming, the keyboard is the best value you can get if you don't mind the lack of backlight, it has the same decent switches as the top end boards, and has a metal construction and wrist rest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1