Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Completed CBT.... but....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Completed CBT.... but.... Reply with quote

I completed my CBT at 5pm, no problems there, get home relax a bit and decide to take my bike out for a ride.... i tap up my stepdad who gets his R6 out to come for a ride with me.

Done about 3miles, i move out to overtake a car, im doin 80.. all of a sudden backwheel seizes up and starts to slide on me... engines seized up!! i skid for about 70yrds, manage to keep it up right (god knows how??!?!) pull the clutch in and get it to the side of the road.....

I know im lucky, but im pissed off aswell cant ride it for a week while i wait for the garage to sort it out!

But the 3 miles that i did was good fun, especially have crawling around on a honda CG125 all day!!!

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate, what bike have you got?

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.btinternet.com/~kris.pamphilon/myrs125.jpg

Aprilia RS125

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike Mr. Green Thumbs Up , what seized on it? top end or bottom?

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the engine has seized to me Confused

Edit: oh right you already figured that out Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't forget the 2 stroke oil did you?

Craig G(Noggin)

Last edited by Noggin on 22:32 - 19 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you were doing 80mph within 3 miles of starting suggests you were ragging a cold engine.

Sounds like you siezed it cold. Silly boy, barrel will probably need a rebore and replate.

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noggin wrote:

You didn't forget the 2 stroke oil did you?

Nope, its full....

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:40 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have done something wrong to seize a bike that new - I'm with Robby's theory!

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:43 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a RS125, you really need to warm it up a hell of a lot more than three miles before you rev the tits of it. Not surprised it seized up to be honest. Live and learn. They warned me about it at the dealers.

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the bike from new, did you actually run the engine in???

It might be a bit dull having to keep the revs down for the first half century but it certainly soothes the wallet in the long run...

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em, i know about this, foolish enought to buy a new RS myself, 5000 revs max for the first 800km max speed in sixth gear at 5000 revs is 50mph did you read the manual? 80mph will have really fucked the engine over, quite apart from not warming it up.

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm my stepdad is a mechanic and he says its not that.. and that it sounded odd when i started it?.. never mind im not dead, i have learnt from it, and its a good job i had my first "experience" so close after my CBT and with my stepdad in toe, just wound up about not being able to use it on my week off work :S

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgabber wrote:
If you got the bike from new, did you actually run the engine in???

It might be a bit dull having to keep the revs down for the first half century but it certainly soothes the wallet in the long run...

it is 2yrs old and has 5000km on the clock

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 22:51 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got to be engine oil, any signs of a leak?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pants! wrote:
Its got to be engine oil, any signs of a leak?

Nope none :-S... oil is still pretty much full?

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 22:55 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't resting your foot on the brake pedal looking to change down a gear?

Wink Wink

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:56 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh..... Unlucky mate, the imfamous two stroke seize at high speed is something I hope not to experiance ever! Hope the damage isn't too bad and they get the parts for you quickly, an aquaintance with an RX50 who seized his bike up (redlining when cold....twat!) about 5 months ago and he was still apparantly waiting for parts only a few weeks ago Shocked . As they say it probably was a cold seizure with your bike...... it does take a long time of moderate riding to warm them up safely. You may be lucky, another friend seized his DT 50 MX when it ran out of oil (fortunatly right outside a garage), he brought some oil and after letting it cool, rode it home and hes still riding it like that today (although compressions a little down), but if its cold seized its probably seized right up and wont free up Crying or Very sad

Oh well, hope you get it back on the road again soon, no fun being without a bike is it? Sad

hutchy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an rs125, occupational hazard I'm afraid

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badlydamaged wrote:
no fun being without a bike is it? Sad

I wouldnt know, only done 3 miles on mine... maybe it is cold seizure, dont know enough about it, will try starting it 2moro, just out of desperation before i ring the garage and get them to come get it

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:01 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RS125 was misbehaving this morning in the rain, misfiring and being really boggy chainging between power bands, think it was the wet. In the afternoon rode the tits of it and it went back to "normal" was dry though.

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:01 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is seized? Can you kick the engine over?

If it is seized, there will be no chance that you can turn it over.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah could it not be the gearbox that seized?

Kris125
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pants! wrote:
Are you sure it is seized? Can you kick the engine over?

If it is seized, there will be no chance that you can turn it over.

When i try and start it i can hear the starter churning, but nothing else.. it doesnt come to life at all.. I dont really know a lot about bikes, all i know is the back end locked up and then the bike died, and wont start.

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:06 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that anything that is seized means it does not move any more.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3