Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The physics of towing/carrying

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

Evening all.

Last week I got a flange type towbar fitted to wife's 04 shiteoen C3 1.4 hdi hatchback.
So I can hook up my little bike trailer and haul the KTM to Wales when we next go to visit my father Inlaw. Without having to take the van which she cannot drive.

However. I've also got one of these https://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=150574405149 ive used on the van to ferry about small off road pits (60kg) when the kangoo is to full to squeeze it inside.
Used it twice : Great success!

Swapped it to the C3 today and proceeded to transport 83kgs of road legal cr70 pit bike. For reasons that called for it. No probs.

Thought nothing of it till I sat on the pan after, then it dawned on me Shocked I might have been pushing the laws of physics!

Searched and phoned:

Internet says 36kg Shocked max laden on tobar.
Garage Who fitted It says 48kg Sick max laden.
Supplier of bike rack says 150kg max capacity of rack. But this is irrelevant.

Had a look underneath and everything looks fine. No sign of buckling/warping/cracking.

Debating doing it again. Would you do it again? Have you done worse?

The cars suspension was a bit low, but nowhere near bottoming out. The max laden trailer is 900kg or something. So what if all that load is at the front of the trailer (on tow hitch).
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

The 900kg will be fairly evenly distributed.

The 'nose weight' of the trailer is seperate and not many cars go as far as 83kg - a good few are rated for around 75, but I suspect yours is more likely the 36 you listed.

The issue is likely with the weight that far back lifting the front of the car up, meaning steering and braking are less effective.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends mainly on three things I think:

What the towbar is made of or, more likely, how it is fitted;
How hard your suspension is;
And how you drive.

Towbar material and fitting will decide whether the thing is happy to deal with the stress of the load.
Soft suspension will help absorb the the changes in weight as you go over bumps etc.
Your driving style - eg racing over speedbumps - will greatly effect the force the towbar feels.

No idea how you can really do any checks on it though, other than to check it after each journey until you're confident it's not getting worse each time.

Edit:

Wait I'm confused. I thought you feared for breaking this new towbar or something. But after reading G's post, I have no idea if I was on about the right thing or not Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

I think he was and I should have elaborated that there is a separate legal issue which could see you get in to various problems ending up in court if exceeding the limits set for the vehicle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

G wrote:
The 900kg will be fairly evenly distributed.

The 'nose weight' of the trailer is seperate and not many cars go as far as 83kg - a good few are rated for around 75, but I suspect yours is more likely the 36 you listed.

The issue is likely with the weight that far back lifting the front of the car up, meaning steering and braking are less effective.


The steering did feel a bit on the easy side.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros against the risk. If i'd thought about it first, I probably would not have risked it. But since proving that its clearly possible, i'm torn between.

It would be just my luck tho that it would be fine for 500miles while i'm driving, then fall off at a pot hole while shes at the wheel............

............Id get a broken bike, AND a slap Black Eye .

EDIT:

And a summonds. Thinking
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

The nasty situation is something along the lines of someone pulling in front of you and you hitting them.

Police decide it's your fault because you couldn't brake/steer as well and aggressively pursue you.

Worst case and not very likely.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

G wrote:
The nasty situation is something along the lines of someone pulling in front of you and you hitting them.

Police decide it's your fault because you couldn't brake/steer as well and aggressively pursue you.

Worst case and not very likely.


I can see how the weight on the back could make a bit of a see saw. (vision of those pimp cars with hydraulics comes to mind Laughing )

Although a 900kg trailer, fully loaded boot, 60kgs on the roof (max limit) and 5 up would be equally as interesting under heavy breaking swerving.

Cheers for POV, G
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceeding the weight limit of a trailer or rack by just 15% may incur a £200 fine. Exceed it by 30% or more and a court summons is feasible.

I don't think I'd risk it. £200 would buy a pretty decent, fit-for-purpose bike trailer.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sabian92
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risking sounding like a cock here, but the limits are there for a reason. It isn't just about the car, it's about if you can stop if little Johnny runs into the street. Plowing into him with a C3 with 150kg of bikes behind you probably won't end well for him. And you might decapitate your rear passengers with two bikes coming through your rear windscreen Laughing

By all means do it if you think it's alright but you are breaking the law (they might even do you for an unsafe load as well, not sure on the laws of it).

I personally wouldn't tow anything over the limit but that's just me, and I wouldn't be towing 150kg of shit when the limit is 36kg through the tow bar. I drive a C4 Picasso and I wouldn't tow anything behind it - it's a complete wank box anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

G wrote:
The nasty situation is something along the lines of someone pulling in front of you and you hitting them.

Police decide it's your fault because you couldn't brake/steer as well and aggressively pursue you.

Worst case and not very likely.


Well that would make him not at fault. Remember that time a biker got knocked off and the woman was let off because she had mismatched tyres? She bought mismatched tyres and carried on regardless, he (may have) chose the wrong trailer and carried on regardless ....
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: The physics of towing/carrying Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:

Well that would make him not at fault. Remember that time a biker got knocked off and the woman was let off because she had mismatched tyres? She bought mismatched tyres and carried on regardless, he (may have) chose the wrong trailer and carried on regardless ....


Having mismatched tyres isn't breaking any laws though.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GrantT
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be careful on your max towing weights with the trailer. Just becasue the trailer is rated to 900kg doesn't mean your car is.

A quick google:

Max towing weight - braked 950 kg
Max towing weight - unbraked 570 kg

Is your bike trailer braked? If not then you're limited to 570kg which is the weight of the trailer and bike combined.

With regards to tow head weight, when the father in law used to tow a caravan with his old sierra he didn't get the concept of balancing the weight inside resulting in the dog with worms bum drag and lots of bottoming out. I recommend loading up the trailer, and putting a set of bathroom scales under the front jockey wheel. Try and get this down to 36kg by shifting the load back to keep you nice and legal Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrantT wrote:

Is your bike trailer braked? If not then you're limited to 570kg which is the weight of the trailer and bike combined.


Still more than enough for the KTM on a trailer. my Pan on a heavy duty trailer would weigh in at less than 570kg.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trailer is a two wheel unbraked. I have no concerns with it weighing more than 570kg with ktm on. It's well balanced to the point that I can lift hitch and wheel it around by hand with bike on.

I would not dream of using carry rack and trailer at same time.

It's just the carry rack and the pit bike I'm pondering.

The pros are:
Less overall mass for c3 to haul (than a trailer with pit bike on) so better mpg.
Easier manourvering for wife.
No trailer toll charges.
When we reach a destination, and I go off on bike. The rack fits in boot so she's not stuck with trailer.

The cons:
100ish kgs of weight on tow hitch.(my biggest concern)
Lighter steering.
Breaking laws.


I'm not sure about how brakes would be affected as the car dives under braking quite severely so if anything it might just even it out. Thinking
Unless I was cornering hard, in which case It would spin like a top.

Regardless of trailer or carry rack I wouldn't be driving like a plonker.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should conduct some braking and swerve tests, would be interesting to see.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've obviously talked yourself into using it no matter what but doubling the noseweight on the tow bar is foolhardy to say the least. Most decent sized saloon/estate motors that tow have a 75kg noseweight limit on a towbar still not good enough for your intended use and you want to use a smaller motor that obviously has construction/strength reasons why it's limit is so much lower, otherwise they would rate it higher, you're asking for trouble.
I tow a caravan regularly and can tell by the car's handling and braking whether something has slipped forward on the journey and increased the 80kg noseweight it should have once it's over 100ishkg let alone double.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1cyl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
You've obviously talked yourself into using it no matter what but doubling the noseweight on the tow bar is foolhardy to say the least.

If I'd made the choice already I wouldn't bother to ask what others think.

Bezzer wrote:

I tow a caravan regularly and can tell by the car's handling and braking whether something has slipped forward on the journey and increased the 80kg noseweight it should have once it's over 100ishkg let alone double.


But it DID'NT drop off at 20kgs over the limit? And you didn't crash either?

I appreciate all your opinions and will certainly consider them carefully before I make any decision to load bike on again.
I think I'll do some more research and carry out a detailed analysis of the tow hitch/chassis setup and see if I can determine any weak points to focus on. Of course there is also the chance that the damage may already be done.
____________________
Chase my Witch up, Catch my Snitch up.
The SMC | The Pit | Stable
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimc wrote:


But it DID'NT drop off at 20kgs over the limit? And you didn't crash either?

I appreciate all your opinions and will certainly consider them carefully before I make any decision to load bike on again.
I think I'll do some more research and carry out a detailed analysis of the tow hitch/chassis setup and see if I can determine any weak points to focus on. Of course there is also the chance that the damage may already be done.


You're missing the point, mine was only 25% over and I could tell and so rectified it ASAP. you're on about starting at nearly 3 times the Citroen limit of 36kgs.
That is the one that counts in law and in structural strength, most/all modern cars have the mounting points for towbars built in and the ratings come from the strength of the mounts. You won't find any "weak points to focus on" it's weak enough to start with at such a low rating.
The towbar may be rated to 48kgs by its manufacturer but using it at anything over the 36kgs makes it illegal.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 112.5 Kb