Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bump starting a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

theone
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Bump starting a bike Reply with quote

Whats the best way to "bump" start a bike? its a rather silly question to ask i guess Embarassed but if i needed to bump start my hornet whats the best way to go about it?

Also does this ruin the engine or any other part of the bike, it seems to me its stresses the bike?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:50 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either point yourself down a large hill or run along side it with the bike in second and the clutch in, let the clutch out and leap on it so the back wheel grips.

Doesn't harm the engine much, if at all. All it's doing is the same as electric starter, only from the other end, if you see what i mean.

theone
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, is it possible to mess that up in any way and drop the bike? I don't like the idea of letting the clutch out and jumping on, i feel the bike will jerk and i will drop it!

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 23:00 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course you can mess it up and drop it - s'all part of the fun though.

You don't have to sit on it properly when you jump on it obviously.

Roo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll the bike backwards in gear with the clutch in. Slowly let it out untill it stops. Should do something technical to the compression or something. Either way it makes it much easier to bump. Jump on before you dump the clutch but jump on the pegs as you do. Makes it harder to drop. Whatever you do make sure its going by the bottom of the hill. Wink

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that it streches your chain, is that true?

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I heard somewhere that it streches your chain, is that true

Hehe, yer but even riding regularly stretches your chain... Not a bad thing. Its in the same league as "brake pad wear"...wear and tear m8.

getting someone to push your bike form the back is a big help.

Ive even asked random people on the street to do it, when my bike had problems. They were safe about it...

yohomiesmelly...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bump mine by running with it (while sitting on it) in neutral and holding the clutch in. Then when i get enough speed going on a straight or a hill bout 10mph i drop it into first and dump the clutch then rev the throttle till it starts and away you go.

Don't try running a long side it and doing the same if you know you cant jump on it cus i did that and dropped the thing. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 21:06 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

perosnally, with the 50cc, and with the 350, stick it in first, clutch in, really push the bastard to get it going fast, slip the clutch in and out with a little throttle so it catches but doent flip or anything then hold it up and rev it abit till its idling fine. Then drive off.

On the 50 i mastered running bump start and then leaping on it while it was still moving at a fair speed. That was apparently fairly majestic Laughing
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1