Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

33BHP HELP!!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to New Bikers by Korn (21 Jun 2004 - 01:23)
View previous topic : View next topic  

baskie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:57 - 20 Jun 2004    Post subject: 33BHP HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

i was just wondering if 250cc bikes how big bhp do they have??can it be restriceted to 33bhp??

just i have been looking at this :

A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways

could that be a 250??

thanks baskie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:02 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the 250 really, something like an RS250 is pushing out around 65bhp as far as I'm aware (not sure to be honest)

But something like a GN250 isn't going to be anywhere near that, so it just depends on the bike.

Find the bike you like then do a search on google for it's specification

baskie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:07 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah fairy snuff i surpose, i was lookng at and off road yamaha 250 and its bhp was only 17.9
so yeh will deof look about
thanks yams

baskie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:09 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

baskie wrote:
ah fairy snuff i surpose, i was lookng at and off road yamaha 250 and its bhp was only 17.9
so yeh will deof look about
thanks yams

baskie

If it's only 17.9 bhp then you can legally ride that on that licence.

May I ask what 250cc off roader that is?

17.9 bhp seems a bit too low for a 250cc

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:18 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going for that licence at the end of this month, you can ride any bike restricted, and any bike can be restricted to 33bhp, so pic anyone. some advice, tuned rs125's are 33 bhp and the rs250s are 60 something
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, i remember reading about someone restricitng a busa to 33bhp. their feedback on it wasnt great Razz

nearly all bikes can be restricted to 33bhp. however high capacity bikes will hurt your wallet when it comes to insurance, as will sporty bikes. Seeing how they are all 33bhp and in theory just as fast, it would make more sense to buy a sensible commuter bike for the lower insurance. something like a CB250, or a GS500 both restricted to 33bhp, wont be too far off the pace of a CBR600 restricted to 33bhp. so why spend all that extra cash on insurance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 04:11 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 400 mate and restrict it , it should still be plenty of fun Thumbs Up

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to agree with DaFrosty on this one.

A 500 Commuter would suit you fine, a GS500 can be restricted to 33BHP and it doesn't make that much of a difference in perfomance either. (I know Both of My GS's were restricted).

A GS500 is also only Group 7 Insurance so there for its quite low and easy on the old wallet and its only one or two groups higher than a CBF250 and the like.

Other bike to consider would be the Kawasaki ER-5 (Not a great bike, but a decent one non the less) Kawasaki GPZ500S (uses the same engine as the ER-5, but the build quality seems better) and the CBF/CB500 (Its a honda need I say more?)

I personally thing a 500 would suit you more, and you can learn more on them and when the 33bhp restriction is up the restrictor can be removed and you would hava full power bike and have about 60BHP, something that you could'nt do if you go certain 250's.

Hope that helps,

Craig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
get a 400 mate and restrict it , it should still be plenty of fun

Sedonded. You cant go wrong... When you choose to de-restrict it afterwards, you get double the 33 bhp, to 60...Smile

Its a spots 400 engine so its in a high state of tune. Not some commuter bike's lump...

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
you get double the 33 bhp, to 60...Smile

Maths never was your strong point. Wink

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nowt wrong with 500's, I'd prefer to have a 500 than a 400 Sports Bike thats been crashed bashed and abused most of its life.

And when 400's go wrong they go wrong well and are so expensive to fix and service!

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GS500E looks deceptively sporty, and it is cheap, easy to insure, and easy to maintain/cheap to fix.
So depending on the money, I'd say get a 500, they are sexy.
Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My GS500E looks deceptively sporty

Laughing Hehe, so it looks sporty, but it doesn't ride sportily

Quote:
they are sexy.

And sports 400s arent Shocked ...

You guys are boring, being all sencible...

If you want a sports bike that has everything, but not big ammounts of power campared to a 600 or liter bike, get a spots 400.

If you want to be all sencible get a commmuter...
The choice is yours. i'll say no more.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GS500 ridden by an experienced rider would easily be able to keep up with a full power 400. Razz

For a start the 500 Twins have far more torque than the Sports 400's and are easier to insure etc.

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally am going for a sports 400, because of the cheap insurance, and sound, and looks. if you want to impresses the girlies then you are going to need a sports bike, sensiable? thats for old people Razz Laughing

nah choice is yours really, pic what ya fancy Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyline wrote:
i personally am going for a sports 400, because of the cheap insurance, and sound, and looks. if you want to impresses the girlies then you are going to need a sports bike, sensiable? thats for old people Razz Laughing

nah choice is yours really, pic what ya fancy Smile

Insurance for a Young rider on a 400 Sports wont be that much cheaper than on a 600 Sports bike.

And I'll think you'll find you can impress any female with any bike you ride (bar a 125 or an MZ Laughing )

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS im sure your bike isn't bad, but it wont be as good as a sports 400 in any way, really.

Have you actually ridden/seen a sports 400 before.

And i cant belive that you'll impress people just as much with a commuter bike, than a sports 400... Laughing

For a start 400s look like superbikes, just with smaller engines.
They sound like superbikes, they rev really high...

Commuters look boring. You see a commuter and you expect some old man to be riding it.

Quote:
A GS500 ridden by an experienced rider would easily be able to keep up with a full power 400

Yer but none of us really are THAT experianced. With 2 equal riders, 400 wins hands down, you cant make a fairer test than that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1