Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sportbike mobilephone/satnav mount

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 13 Jun 2013    Post subject: Sportbike mobilephone/satnav mount Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm planning a bit more riding around europe later this year on my ZX6, i did it old fashioned with a paper map last year but it meant i didn't really end up exploring as much as i'd of likex to so i'm hoping to get a mount for navigation this year.

First thing is - to avoid needing to buy a sat nav i was hoping to use my mobile phone [samsung galaxy s3] and its sat nav app's, has anyone used any mobile-phone mounts before they could recommend for a sport bike, either tank or windshield/dash area mounts would be fine.

If not any particularly good satnav/mount systems people have had experience with. Battery life isnt too critical as i'm organising fairly regular accomodation stops to keep the bike safe overnight.

Thanks Mr. Green

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 13 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life is critical. I can run my phone flat after a few hours if I'm using maps for navigation. Look in to adding a charging system to the bike. I've just added a USB port to my dashboard to charge phones from.

I've always had issues trying to see the screen from my mount, so make sure to look at what angle it mounts at when buying. Too flat means it's almost impossible to see!

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 14 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of added i have an additional extended battery-pack for the phone should i manage to find a mount for that so over a days riding before checking in somewhere to charge it SHOULD be okay fingers crossed, although that is an interesting idea, never thought of addng an charging port.

Have you found much impact on battery-drain etc using the charger/nav regulary [if used over any longer trips that is].

Cheers Thumbs Up

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 14 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a steering damper on my 05 ninja, then mounted a bicycle phone mount to the steering damper, then rigged up a 12v socket and mounted that to the fairing infill. Couldn't fault it, just make sure the 12v socket is far enough forward that it doesn't get mirked by the bars at full lock.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 14 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the battery life on phones pitiful at best. I once ran out of battery around an hour in to my journey, at which point I had to quickly scribble down 120 miles of directions on a small piece of paper, before the last 10% of my battery went, to try and get me to my destination. Laughing

My phone draws between 0.5a to 1a when charging, so there is no real impact on the battery. My charger will only ever allow a maximum draw of 5a through the port. For comparison, heated grips use around 2.5-3a.

I haven't used it on any extended trips yet. I've only had the bike a couple of months. I've just fitted the charger in preparation for my trip to Spain.

Oz.
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:59 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TomTom rider on my ZX6R and used a RAM Mount - basically it comes with a connection/base that goes into the steering stem!

RAM do various mount with various connections check out the US site first as the wizard is pretty cool and then use the part numbers to order from the UK site.

https://www.rammount.com/

Thats the base I used:

https://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051052050085/Default.aspx

As for charging you can just run a 12 cigarette socket from your battery, it had no adverse affects on my battery when I was using it to charge my phone/ipod in my tank bag.

EDIT: when and where are you thinking of going?

Can just about see the mount here:

https://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/331546_10150357182070477_5225276_o.jpg

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying £300 for satnavs for bikes is pretty damn obscene seeing as regular ones are less that a third of that now.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Paying £300 for satnavs for bikes is pretty damn obscene seeing as regular ones are less that a third of that now.

Eh?

Not understanding your point or logic here.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz, thanks very much thats very helpful.

The mounts look perfect will definately look into them.

I'd like to go to southern spain or maybe even italy, but it may end up being a more detailed tour of north-west europe depending on money.

I've done UK-france-germany to nurburgring twice, and once to southern france, but never beyond that due to just feeling a bit 'lost' using paper maps and having nothing else as a back up to hand.

Probably a stupid question but are the ram mounts very secure - i'd love to use the phone but if it was to fall out mid-ride i'd be royally f--ked as aside from having no insurance i have a lot of work data on there i don't really want to lose even with back ups at home.

J.M. i think he is maybe refering to 'car' standard sat-navs, but again that leaves the problem of mounting them so perhaps not as cheap ultimately either way i would guess Confused

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone much appreciated Thumbs Up

Oz.
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:

Regular ones aren't waterproof, my tomtom rider 2 only cost me about £120ish was a nice little snipe on ebay. If I were to get a reasonable GPS that allows customised routes/itineraries, bluetooth enabled and a waterproof case and mount to go with it then I would have been looking at the same price.

There is no way I'd pay £300 for one mind.

Oz.
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:22 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

eitematt wrote:
Oz, thanks very much thats very helpful.

The mounts look perfect will definately look into them.

I'd like to go to southern spain or maybe even italy, but it may end up being a more detailed tour of north-west europe depending on money.

I've done UK-france-germany to nurburgring twice, and once to southern france, but never beyond that due to just feeling a bit 'lost' using paper maps and having nothing else as a back up to hand.

Probably a stupid question but are the ram mounts very secure - i'd love to use the phone but if it was to fall out mid-ride i'd be royally f--ked as aside from having no insurance i have a lot of work data on there i don't really want to lose even with back ups at home.

J.M. i think he is maybe refering to 'car' standard sat-navs, but again that leaves the problem of mounting them so perhaps not as cheap ultimately either way i would guess Confused

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone much appreciated Thumbs Up

Yeah they are very secure as long as you tighten them up.

In fact this is how secure they are I lost my reg plate on the Autobahn at around 150mph having a play with a Porsche GT3RS but the ram mount was solid :

https://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/271332_10150331325040477_8052858_o.jpg

How long have you got and when are you thinking of going, the picture of my 636 was taken in the Tuscany countryside between Florence and Bologna. Have you done the Black Forest at all? Also depending on where in the UK you are then the Pyrenees might be worth ago doing the Ferry from Portsmouth .

Check out www.bestbikingroads.com

EDIT: the Dolomites are pretty damn awesome as well.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Tungtvann wrote:

Eh?

Not understanding your point or logic here.

I searched for one of the satnavs mentioned and it's listed as about 300 pounds. So what, it's 3 times as expensive because it's waterproof?!

I want a satnav for my bike, but I'm not paying that sort of money for what is essentially a regular satnav, with a couple of extra features.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
I searched for one of the satnavs mentioned and it's listed as about 300 pounds. So what, it's 3 times as expensive because it's waterproof?!

Oh, I see! I thought you were arguing against using a phone as a SatNav and plucking £300 out of the air from nowhere.

Confusion over. Laughing

I think phones are pretty perfect for the job. I'm tempted to make my final year project revolve around directions/route finding on maps on smart phones.

Oz.
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:

I want a satnav for my bike, but I'm not paying that sort of money for what is essentially a regular satnav, with a couple of extra features.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-Rider-2nd-Edition-Full-working-/251289783912#vi-content

Didn't search hard enough eh that one is £99 granted it comes without the mount. You seem to be a little touchy though, what's it to you if I had spent £300 on it?

A quick google search reveals a whole bunch of waterproof GPS costing from £130 upwards for a simple co-ordinates display, so it seems being waterproof makes a huge difference in cost.

EDIT: As a day to day get me from A to B solution then my inside pocket, headphones and phone are perfect and is what I use. For a get me from A to Z going via road B, mountain Passes C, D and E going via road X in the middle of the Dolomites in the pissing rain then the Motorcycle orientated GPS wins hands down.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend what you like on one, but as I've said, I've been looking for one and I think 300 is a complete rip off given that full european car sat navs are less than 100 pounds. Unless there is some secret thing that bike sat navs can do which I don't know about.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Spend what you like on one, but as I've said, I've been looking for one and I think 300 is a complete rip off given that full european car sat navs are less than 100 pounds. Unless there is some secret thing that bike sat navs can do which I don't know about.

I've crashed maybe 3 times with my garmin zumo 550 attached - it's come off and gone down the road quite a few times. Dropped on concrete more times than I can remember. Gone through heatwaves and thundershowers. Still working fine. Have maps for whole Europe and North America on it. And it works well with gloved hands. Probably the best touring accessory I've ever bought; so, cheap compared to all the other costs. Got almost 50k on its internal odometer.

cimbian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used my phone for navigation last night and had it plugged-in to one of my USB sockets; still ran the battery flat.

Another problem I discovered is that on a road with nice twisties the screen kept switching from landscape to portrait and back again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cimbian wrote:
Used my phone for navigation last night and had it plugged-in to one of my USB sockets; still ran the battery flat.

Were you using the USB cable for the computer by any chance?

Some smart phones utilise different pins in the wall charger and the USB chargers. They do this to tell the phone whether it's charging via mains or USB. Via USB the phone will draw less power (maybe your phone wants 1a to charge but over USB it will only draw 0.5a) and it's entirely possible that you may drain your battery whilst the phone is in use.

<edit>Also is the possibility that your USB sockets don't output a high enough amp to charge your phone at a rate higher than battery drainage. What charging system do you use? I opted for a 12v to 5v 5a regulator wired to a USB socket. I've yet to try it on a full run yet though due to currently doing a top-end rebuild on the XJ.</edit>

cimbian wrote:
Another problem I discovered is that on a road with nice twisties the screen kept switching from landscape to portrait and back again!

Disable auto-rotation. Very Happy

Oz.
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cimbian wrote:

Can you set your Nav software to only turn the display on when you're approaching your next direction? As that will reduce battery drain significantly.

What nav app are you using?

In regards to other Sat Navs and phone etc - if you put them in a waterproof case then you will find in Europe that they will often overheat and turn off as there is no air flow to them. I experienced this in Croatia last year after I had to resort to using my mobile due to me plugging the wrong charger into my TomTom and popping a capacitor. Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 9 days between these two posts...
icebreaking This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine without thanks (4 years late to the party).

Bike travels not seemed too much worse than walking/car/train travel has.

Presuming spambot, but worse still... no I don't own a Honda CBR 600 RR Sad.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:53 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:
waste of time typing all that shit lol,
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1