Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Next bike going from a VFR 800 to...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BigJoe78
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Next bike going from a VFR 800 to... Reply with quote

Passed my test lasy year, and got myself a 2000 VFR 800.
It has ticked all my boxes including the motorway slogging i initially got it for - 100 mile a day round trip commuting, mostly on the m25, and the odd bit of weekend fun on the a and b roads.

Work has now changed i am home based most of the time, and the commute when i do go in to the office is in to central london (which the vfr also handles no bother). The majority of my riding has changed to now mostly being weekend blasts around the countryside and only the odd commute in to the smoke when i need to.

So i am wondering if once I have my years no claims i get something else, my dream has always been a sports bike, but wondering what the jump will be like coming from my VFR.

Bikes that take my fancy (based on nothing more than i just like the look/idea of them) are GSXR 750 (2006-present), Aprilia RSV Mille (up to 2003. probably just the standard one not the R)

Sages of BCF drop your knowledge on me, suggestions, advice, etc, etc.
ta
____________________
2013 ZX6R 636
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports bikes are shit on the road. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knightsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR1200?
____________________
09' Versys 650 | 07' FJR1300A
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

reed
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vfr750. Smile
____________________
Generic XOR 50, Gilera SMT 50, GSXR 400 GK73A, Ducati Monster 600, Honda Hornet 600.
Sold. Stolen. Written off. Sold. Current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an R1 because it was there and I'd never owned one. It is far too much for the road Laughing

The CBR600RR I had was also the same. Less power but still, way too much.

If I had the cash, I'd get a fun bike and a work bike. Something like a 2 stroke supermoto and an ER6 or something. But coming from a VFR to a sports, I'd probably wager you'll not see much difference, sportier position and a bit revvy maybe, but all depends on the bike.

Just my opinion though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lyam
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

600rr r6 cbr 600f test ride them if you can
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lyam
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

600rr r6 cbr 600f test ride them if you can
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Notj7
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely try the CBR 600F. I've had mine a year now and I'm definitely more used to the power - sometimes I think I want more but, really on the roads we have, you don't need it.

Top speed I would say is 165 (I've had it at 160 on a private road), it's very comfy.

Get 2005+ for the f4i version Thumbs Up
____________________
Left the forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX6R A1P (the 2002 636 model). I've got the 2001 600cc model which is more or less identical but a few bhp down. A reasonably proportioned fairly comfortable sports bike like the CBR600F but with a bit more character in my opinion.

Neither will be as light or flickable as the insanely tiny sports bikes they have coming out today, but will be a bit further in that direction than your VFR.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree with the il4 600 suggestions. I can't think of a single il4 600 that would offer much of a change to your vfr to be honest. At least not a big enough change to be worth changing for, and coming from somebody who really really loved their cbr600f that is saying something

Possibly a KTM or Ducati may offer something a little different and a bit more fun. Personally if insurance allows it I would be very tempted by a KTM SM990, I would also consider a late Ducati 900ss and possibly an Aprilia Tuono.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a GSXR 750, then you are looking at the wrong years for use as a great road bike, the 2004 - 2005 (K4/5) is the model that cuts it the most on the road, it's got a better power/torque spread for road riding and is a little more roomy too. This information is also written in a review in the February edition of Performance Bikes.
I bought a 2004 750 after trying both a 2007 and 2010, and found the 2004 was much more keen to hustle in a wider range of gears with the benefit of having more 'go' in the lower and midrange...the addition of a +3 rear sprocket REALLY brings them into perfect road thrashing territory.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Notj7
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
If you are looking for a GSXR 750, then you are looking at the wrong years for use as a great road bike, the 2004 - 2005 (K4/5) is the model that cuts it the most on the road, it's got a better power/torque spread for road riding and is a little more roomy too. This information is also written in a review in the February edition of Performance Bikes.


How come the older one's are better than the newer then? I thought that if you get the latest, it's going to be leaps and bounds better than one that's 8 years old...
____________________
Left the forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
Sako wrote:
If you are looking for a GSXR 750, then you are looking at the wrong years for use as a great road bike, the 2004 - 2005 (K4/5) is the model that cuts it the most on the road, it's got a better power/torque spread for road riding and is a little more roomy too. This information is also written in a review in the February edition of Performance Bikes.


How come the older one's are better than the newer then? I thought that if you get the latest, it's going to be leaps and bounds better than one that's 8 years old...


It's basically down to emissions regulations and the wish for track orientated machinery, the power on the newer 750's is way too high up the rev range in comparison to the 04/05 models.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BigJoe78
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers everyone will definately need to look into the gsxr 750s in a bit more depth the more road freindly and comfortable the better although i appreciate that any more sports orientated bike will be a big change coming from the VFR
____________________
2013 ZX6R 636
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

henry hoover
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
I bought an R1 because it was there and I'd never owned one. It is far too much for the road Laughing

The CBR600RR I had was also the same. Less power but still, way too much.


If the CBR600 was to much ... Why get an R1 Shocked

I also wouldn't say these bikes are not good for the road. They are not practical but that's not why you buy a sports bike. If I was you I would just get a 1000 you will only ending wanting one after a few months a year,so might as well save yourself the hassle of buying/selling another bike.
____________________
Cbr600rr 2010 Sold
Zx6r 636 2006 sold
Gsxr 750 L1 current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Hoover wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:
I bought an R1 because it was there and I'd never owned one. It is far too much for the road Laughing

The CBR600RR I had was also the same. Less power but still, way too much.


If the CBR600 was to much ... Why get an R1 Shocked


I'm a young boy. I want fast things. Laughing It was more the fact it had bolt on tat.

But, I have found it to be a little more frugal and it cruises and overtakes effortlessly. Prefer it, but licence losing speeds in 1st gear = bad.

With Sako's comment, I agree... the 2005/06 GSXR1000 felt far more unchained than the 2008 one I tried, not had a chance to get on the later ones, but can only imagine them to be tame.

I'd like to try the big bang R1's, hell even a fuel injected version of mine, the model up I think... just to see if there are any noticeable increases/decreases.

OP, with commuting being probably 10% of your bike time, something fun might be worth your while, Super Duke 990 perhaps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:


With Sako's comment, I agree... the 2005/06 GSXR1000 felt far more unchained than the 2008 one I tried, not had a chance to get on the later ones, but can only imagine them to be tame.

.


It's a similar thing with most modern thous, I agree with Sako's remarks as well as the fact that I reckon the ferocious bottom end probably scared more than a few people and resulted in more than a few high sides. Wink
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your going to go for something silly and Legendary like a 98 R1 or a 2004 ZX10R, I can't see any modern/recent sportsbike being much if any better as a fun and sporty all rounder with loads of character than your VFR?


I think the VFR1200 is overrated and not as great a machine as the Blackbird was, but they are not really the same type of bike anyway. The VFR800 should do everything you want, and you could always throw some cash at it in the, don't trade it, upgrade it style .

I think things like the Bird, Busa and ZZR1400/K1300 are not going to be as much fun overall as the VFR and unless all your riding is distance work and fast, the hyper tourers are not really worth their running costs.

At least with a classic like the early R1 etc your going to have legend bike that will be a classic and command decent or rising money too. The 04 ZX10 is probably the next 98 R1 in terms of it's reputation and that I will become sought after, (maybe not in orange or bronze though) Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR750 K6/7, better chassis than 04/05, more power, less weight than later models, best road standard suspension I've ever had. Its a stonking bike. You'll be bored with a 600 in 3 months.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
GSXR750 K6/7, better chassis than 04/05, more power, less weight than later models, best road standard suspension I've ever had. Its a stonking bike. You'll be bored with a 600 in 3 months.

OGR


There is more power but not where it matters most, also I reckon the average fast road rider will find the 04/05 chassis more than capable.
I do agree on the suspension suspension though, but putting in a heavier grade oil or budgeting for an internal upgrade solves the issue and brings them up to standard.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Turkish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 09 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paddy et al. Coming from a VFR800, any difference between that and a supersport 600 will not be very pronounced.

What about a K5/K6 GSXR1000?
____________________
ZX-6R G2
CBR125R RW6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

henry hoover
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:


I'm a young boy. I want fast things. Laughing It was more the fact it had bolt on tat.[/quote]

Fair enough Thumbs Up How did you find it going from a 600 to a thou?
____________________
Cbr600rr 2010 Sold
Zx6r 636 2006 sold
Gsxr 750 L1 current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona 675? Superb handling, torquey enough to pick a gear and leave it if you're being lazy and still silly fast. Easy to live with, I do 50 or so miles most days on mine. You can pick up a good 06 for 3.5k.

I rode some of the bikes you're looking at (or the later versions, 06-08 era) and ended up with one and it would be sufficiently different from a VFR to make your bollocks tingle. The power delivery is like a CBR600 but fatter in every area, ie linear. R6s are immense but have no bottom or mid range at all, I've rode my cousin's a fair bit and it would get on my tits every day. The top end rush on an R6 is incredible for a 600 though. Kwak is somewhere in between. I enjoyed the K7 Gixxer 750 I had a go on but that had Bitubo suspenders and was lush.

A word of warning: test ride one. They don't suit short arses, or particularly tall people and the narrow seat is an acquired taste.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace


Last edited by Slacker24seven on 20:46 - 17 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

StevRS
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR750/800 are probably about the best all round road bikes out there. Any mood, any weather, any road and they do it well. Just get on and ride.

Where sports bikes come in is when you yourself are 'on it'. But if you're hungover, not feeling 100% or just not in the mood, they can be less happy places to be.

Most of the recent sports 600s are incredibly focussed, making them awesome on track and awesome on good tarmac when ridden hard, but just a bit too much for every day.

Scratch the itch - you might find a sportsbike works for you (I did, but mine is arguably pre-super focussed), but maybe keep the VFR in the garage just in case...
____________________
MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR, Unfinished 1978 XS250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Hoover wrote:
Fair enough Thumbs Up How did you find it going from a 600 to a thou?


I've gone from Daytona 600 to GSXR1000 over 2 weeks, found it to be pretty meh in terms of transferring over, was the fact it felt stupidly sedate at 150 which got me.

It felt like the Daytona doing 90. The R1 seems most comfortable at 100 on the motorway, open the throttle and it dives past 110, 120, 130 quicker than you can say the speed. Remarkable really.

But, I don't do that, obviously Wink

The jump is noticeable I suppose, but not so major as the jump from 125 > 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 130.28 Kb