Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Data tool alarm wont disable :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grant965
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Data tool alarm wont disable :( Reply with quote

Hi all, went away for a week came back and the bike is not responding to the key fob. The fob lights up when a button is pressed but the bike does nothing. If I try moving the bike the warning beeps still sound.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Grant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try re-aligning the alarm.

From memory (I can't remember what model my Firestorm had so this may not be relevant):

Hold down both buttons on the fob
Bike makes an odd buzzing noise
Release buttons
Hold down both buttons again
Bike arms itself

Job done.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the fob with you, in a bag/pocket being pushed all the time until the battery is flatteded perchance?

Or reset the alarm as per Datatool website help pages. Or... give the guys a call. They are extremely patient.. Embarassed

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does that if the bike sits for a few weeks, I just turn the ignition on and set the alarm off and the fob then works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Mine does that if the bike sits for a few weeks, I just turn the ignition on and set the alarm off and the fob then works.

Yep, this. It goes into a sort of standby mode - it's supposed to respond to a long press of the disarm button but often doesn't. Set it off and then disable it as per normal. Thumbs Up

grant965
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:33 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cheers for the replies guys, Il give them a try tomorrow as I'm working till 12 Sad
Fob was hung up with the keys so no chance its been held down.

Thanks, Grant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to keep the bike on trickle charger when away for long periods of time. These alarms have a tendency to drain your battery. As has been said before, just turning on the ignition can spur it back to life. Thumbs Up

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip it out, throw as far as you can, job done.
(Edit) But keep the fitting cert for little or no reducti0n in insurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:

Now why would you do this?

Keep in mind I am a Data Tool qualified fitter and will rip apart any argument you try and pout forward. Twisted Evil

Incidentally the one on my Deauville is 12 years old and still fine.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:52 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
(Edit) But keep the fitting cert for little or no reducti0n in insurance.

Datatool alarms are virtually bullet proof. I have had two systems fitted and the only thing that fucked up was the way I operated them.
And ripping it off will void the insurance if you have stated it it fitted with a cat 3 alarm.

As suggested by clanger, use an optimate (or a ctek £43 odds which are better).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:14 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Datatool alarms are virtually bullet proof. I have had two systems fitted and the only thing that fucked up was the way I operated them.

I won't wait for a reply.

Data Tools are pretty damn good as is there customer service.

Thing about alarms is they are operated in a hostile environment and no one ever services them. We consider oil and filters a throw away service item and yet no one ever looks at an alarm.

The circuit boards in Data Tools are designed to be replaceable, they are considered a service item and last time I ordered one they were only about £90, the cost of two cheap services and yet when someone has a problem the first thing they do is rip them out.

The shortest life I have seen from a system 3 was over 3 years, most laptops don't last that long and they aren't used in a hostile environment.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some defence of Datatool for once - I usually stay out of the alarm/immobiliser witch hunts as I am actually very happy with my System3, which was installed around 11 years ago and has worked faultlessly all that time - both fobs still even have the OEM batteries in them. And my bike has never been nicked, so a 100% correlation between alarm fitment and theft prevention (in a limited sample of 1).

Back to the OP - this is normal behaviour, as stated. The alarm goes into a 'sleep' mode to prevent battery drain - if it has only been a few days then a long press of the round button will often wake it up but after a while this won't work so you have to set off the alarm (by turning on the ignition is easiest) and then disarm it as normal.

In my last house I always connected up to an Optimate battery charger but since March I have been in a rented house with limited access to power in the garage, so it sits for days or weeks on end with no charger, but still wakes up and starts OK.

The only 'issue' I have is remembering how to set it into the various different modes as I rarely do it (eg service mode, hazard warning mode). However I have a photocopy of the user manual sealed in a ziplock bag under the seat, so I can work it all out, plus find out how to disarm the alarm with the ignition key and PIN if ever I lose or break the fob.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
jjdugen wrote:

Now why would you do this?

Keep in mind I am a Data Tool qualified fitter and will rip apart any argument you try and pout forward. Twisted Evil

Incidentally the one on my Deauville is 12 years old and still fine.

Mine did exactly what the OP's is doing though. I was stuck at work with an armed alarm, filled in a 'contact us' form and got a call back 20mins later.

Went through the symptoms and was advised by the tech that the only cure was to remove it.

Mine was a system 3 and they don't do spares or replacement boards, as advised during the call.

Kris's system 3 was also failed when I went to rescue him up town. One of the immobiliser circuits was open-circuit. I have the board out of that one now on my bike with just one circuit doing the work.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Mine was a system 3 and they don't do spares or replacement boards, as advised during the call.

They no longer supply replacement parts for the S3 but then they did stop making it about 8 years ago now.
Spares are available fr current alarms.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

'They no longer supply replacement parts for the S3'.
So....... Rip it out throw as far.....etc.!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:

Or reset it as advised and continue using it until it actually malfunctions - if it ever does. Razz

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
jjdugen wrote:

Or reset it as advised and continue using it until it actually malfunctions - if it ever does. Razz

Or... Have a massive logic malfunction, rip it out, throw it to fcuk away as far as you can (probably about 80ft) then come on here crying that yer bike was nicked. Crying or Very sad

Your move caller. Wink

Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:13 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the ignition on let alarm go off, beep alarm.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

'[b] then come on here crying that yer bike was nicked. Crying or Very sad'[/b]

It wont start, and it will have flattened the battery!!

Maybe I'm being a bit whimsical, but, all the alarms that friends have had fitted eventually fail, for whatever reason. They are designed to go off if the bike is bumped or moved..... imagine what is happening to those sensitive sensors when exposed to bike vibes, water, heat ect.
Maybe, just maybe, there are a few 'properly' installed alarms with soldered connections or quality crimps and properly insulated joints... but I've not seen many. Not wishing to denigrate any fitter who does a proper job, but most are lash-ups that WILL fail and leave you stranded.
Just my two-pennorth after too may years in this daft game.

grant965
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted guys, turned ignition on, alarm went off and it started responding to the fob.
Thanks for the quick replies Thumbs Up Very Happy

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 25 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant965 wrote:
All sorted guys, turned ignition on, alarm went off and it started responding to the fob.
Thanks for the quick replies Thumbs Up Very Happy

Mine did that randomly for a couple of weeks before it left me stranded.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 170 days between these two posts...

Mike_H025
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:43 - 13 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings peeps,

I know this is an old thread but adding this as may be useful to anyone who comes across it.

My Dataool S4 Green expired yesterday, same probs as here, not responding to keyfob presses.

I think the internal battery has died. I think this powers the main circuits but is like trickle charged from the bike battery & charging system, (?) so the symptoms I'm getting is that after the first couple of presses on the keyfob remote buttons, it will no longer respond. Until the internal battery has recovered a bit that is.

Leave it for a few minutes, then it will respond, until again after the 2nd or 3rd press then nothing.

This morning I've pulled the fuse to let it expire, new alarm on order. (And a different make!)

The Datatool is now 3 years old but it has been sitting around unpowered for a couple of long periods. It came with a Piaggio X10 350ie I bought last November but wasn't working, the power supply wire had corroded through and broke, and don't how long it was like that.

The second time, was after I lost the blue X10 on spilt diesel and wrote it off (! ~ bent the frame by sliding on its side up a 4 inch kerb) I got a replacement white one and so put the alarm on that, but again it had been sitting around waiting for a couple of months (until new bike was ready to collect).

So old Datatools just expire! When its battery does.

Anyway I am going to replace it with a NCS Compact (formerly 'Cyclone'), as had one before (on another bike). No internal batteries!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:41 - 13 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good new is that it doesn't appear to be rocket science to bypass them:

https://www.sonicsideshow.com/blog/-how-to-bypass-a-datatool-system-3-motorcycle-alarm

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 13 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those instructions won't work with the system 4 Roger.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 13 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_H025 wrote:
So old Datatools just expire! When its battery does.

Anyway I am going to replace it with a NCS Compact (formerly 'Cyclone'), as had one before (on another bike). No internal batteries!

If it has no internal batteries won't it be quick and easy to nullify just by snipping a wire or otherwise disconnecting from the bike battery? I reckon I could get to the battery on my R1 without triggering the Meta alarm but it would start wailing if I disconnected the bike battery.

On my ZX6R the Datatool System 3 lasted 10 years before expiring with a puff of smoke. Meta Alarms cheekily do a plug and play direct replacement for the Datatool S3 and S4 units, https://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/motorcycle-alarms/datatool-replacements.html. Unfortunately when my S3 died it melted and charred part of the terminal block so the Meta replacement wouldn't fit.

I've opened the Datatool and bypassed it (same link as Rogerborg posted) but the rest of the bike is in bits so I haven't tested it yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2