Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OK long shot I know but. Seized screws in Brake reservoir

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: OK long shot I know but. Seized screws in Brake reservoir Reply with quote

Am hopping somebody has found a way round this one.

Both, ye like one wasn't bed enough !, screws in the front brake fluid reservoir are will seized up, have used massed of WD, incl in the little holes in each side, tried tapping them with hammer etc, but no joy, dont really want to have to drill them out. Any Ideas ?

Pweees Rolling Eyes

Have fun Ian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem a few weeks ago with my GPX, the trick I used was to fine a flat bladed punch and hammer, place the punch on the outer edge of the screw and try to tap the screw round until it becomes loose. You have to take your time with it cos if you hit too hard you will damage the screw head or even the cap of the reservoir. If you don't have a flat bladed punch, use a screw driver that can withstand a hammer impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the screws that hold the *lid* of the resevoir on?

Mine were a bugger to get off as well Mad one came off ok after lots of effort with a screwdriver, and the other I got the impact driver out (didn't even know we had one Smile ) and it eventually gave in. Just try not to mangle the head of the screw otherwise it is drilling time Wink

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: yay Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Are you talking about the screws that hold the *lid* of the resevoir on?

Mine were a bugger to get off as well Mad one came off ok after lots of effort with a screwdriver, and the other I got the impact driver out (didn't even know we had one Smile ) and it eventually gave in. Just try not to mangle the head of the screw otherwise it is drilling time Wink

Thanks for that, I got nasty with it ! and it worked ! yay, I found that if I put a very small thin screw driver down the holes in the side then put wd in helps, also hit the top a bit with rubber mallet to free it, seems the wd will not get to the screw unless you poke the holes on each side because the rubber top seal in side gets in the way.

The ironic thing is I was ok for fluid just the window needed sorting d'oh Rolling Eyes

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:44 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drilled mine out on the VX.
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:41 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy-G wrote:
WD is good for loosening bolts etc. but try this stuff called plusgas. Dont know how it does it but it frees up bolts WD can only dream of !

Well I say WD but it's actuialy screwfix's own SX90, dont know where they got that name !, is half the price and just as good !
Will have a look for that stuff.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I needed to undo some philips headed screws on my left hand electrics, I tried a philips screwdriver, engine oil, penetrating oil, WD40, nothing shifted it.. Sad Eventually, when I was really getting worried about ending up with a fcked screwhead I used a flat bladed screwdriver, the screws came undone rather easily.

bubbleflap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:21 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys never heard of anything called an 'impact screwdriver'? GOD!

Go and buy one, its like a screwdriver but one of those ones you push down on and it turns, except these things are solid steel and are geared to the max.

You place it on the screw (with the right head), then hit the end of it with a hammer. The downwards force not only holds the driver into the screw but will slightly rotate it loosening it.

I advise you get one.

Needed one to take the crank case of my DT 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1