Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hazard Perception My Arse :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SimonJ
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:11 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Hazard Perception My Arse :( Reply with quote

Just been for my theory test today. Failed on hazard perception, and as you can imagine am a bit dischuffed about it.

Got 35/35 on the theory.

From what I have read, it seems the way to pass the h/p is just to click every time anything moves. If you try to just click on the hazards when they develop (like the introduction video says) then you will fail dismally.
Hardly a good way of testing hazard perception skills is it!

What a load of B*ll*cks

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 22:19 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that mate, must be gutting.

Did you also find the instruction video as much use as an ashtray on a bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:26 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same happened to me on my car theory test. 35 out of 35 on the questions and buggered up hazzard perecption. I was told by someone to keep clicking as long as the hazzard was there, so from the moment the hazzard appeared to the time I was past it I sat there franticly clicking like crazy! The best way to pass it is to click when you see the hazzard, again if it develops further and again if serious avoidance action then needs to be taken (ie swerving, hitting the brakes, not just pulling up to red traffic lights). Did it again a month later and passed easily Very Happy , when you know what your supposed to do its easy! Thumbs Up

Cheers, Jonathan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instruction video is about as useless and a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
After doing hazard perception twice, i found a much better score can be acheived by keeping you have on the desk away from the mouse. then when you see something, put your hand on the mouse and click. this stops you clicking too early.

you could just wait half a second then click, but i have trouble controling my reactions, hand away from mouse was the only thing that stopped me Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonJ
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:25 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to leave the house to take my theory again!

Wish me luck everybody, will let you all know the result in a bit!

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember it's developing hazard's you have to click for, anything that you have to react to e.g brake, swerve, etc. You don't click for every hazard as you will be there clicking all day long Very Happy .

I passed the HP first time and i found it very easy, been on the road just over a year.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

SimonJ
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Woohoooooooo yippeeeeeee yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa :):):) Reply with quote

well, as you can guess from the header, I failed again.......

Just kidding, 35/35 theory, 53/75 haz perception.

Proved once and for all that the haz test is a complete and utter farce.
1st test, played spot the hazard, got 17. failed.

2nd test, clicked on everthing that moves, got 53, passed.

Its not a hazard perception test, its a test of if you can see a moving object.

Told the test center staff what I thought of the test, they agreed with me, complete waste of time

Anyway, got that cert now, just gotta pass the driving test next, they hayabusa here I come! (or perhaps not!)

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hazard perception test is stupid. If you click to often, you fail. Not enough and you fail. I cant see the point in it at all.

Congratualtions on passing by the way Thumbs Up

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:51 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know lots of people who have passed it with no problems, and basically all it's doing is checking to see that you are aware of whats going on around you on the roads. See a hazard, click. Easy as that to be honest.

You wouldn't be moaning about how crap it was if you'd passed it would you! It's only because you failed it you have a low view of it. Tests before you're allowed on the roads are there for your own safety at the end of day!

Better luck next time with it, and you'll pass soon enough if you just practise.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many points do you need for a pass anyway? My mate has the CD ROM and I click only when I see developing hazards (sometimes missing them completely). This gets me about 40 points and says I've passed. Is it that easy?

30sumthin gal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:43 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is blinkin awful, a waste of time - and money. It is completely useless even though I passed, I cannot see the point! Surely it would be better if there was a person acting as the adjudicator so that you could point out the hazards instead of trying to second guess what they are looking for.

I have been driving cars for 14 years and riding bikes for 3 months. If I had failed the HP part of the theory, surely that would mean I was a complete idiot on the road and shouldn't be let loose on anything with wheels???

I advised the centre staff that the HP part was aimed at complete novice drivers/riders and not experienced road users and they agreed and added that it is being revised at the moment as there have been so many complaints.

I used the 'spot the hazard, count to two and press' and passed. If you keep clicking however, you will be seen as trying to cheat. Remember in all but one of the clips, there is one hazard. In the remaining clip there are two hazards.

Good luck for the next time. Thumbs Up

SimonJ
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:07 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You wouldn't be moaning about how crap it was if you'd passed it would you!

I HAVE passed it, read the post properly! That is the whole point of what I am saying, to pass the test simply requires you to click everytime something moves on the screen, it does not in any way test your hazard perception ability.

Ste wrote:
See a hazard, click. Easy as that to be honest.

Well no, it isnt that easy. (its easier as explained above!) If you click on what you think is the hazard, you can end up clicking too early, and getting no points. The staff at the test centre told me that they sometimes have police advanced drivers taking the test, for their HGV licence etc, and they often fail first time.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:57 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
How many points do you need for a pass anyway? My mate has the CD ROM and I click only when I see developing hazards (sometimes missing them completely). This gets me about 40 points and says I've passed. Is it that easy?

was 40 then they put it up to 42, then 44.
everybody does the same test with higher scores required for things such as LGV.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, SimonJ !!

I'm planning on taking a Direct Access course (once I can scrape the money for a half decent bike together) but heard quite a lot of horror stories about the current HP test.
People who have taken it seem to be at one extreme or the other - and either describe it as being easy, or they find it to be a complete nightmare...
I think it may be adviseable for me not to rush into my test, and hope that the updated HP system is more accurate than the current one?!

Until then I'll just have to visit my local Honda dealership and drool over the new CBRs Wink

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem isnt is in how hard it is. Its do you know what to do or not?

do you click when you see a potential hazard (a test of your ability to spot possible hazards)
do you click when you see a developping hazard (such as a car edging forwards)
or do you click when its a blatent hazard like when a car has pulled out in front of you (proving nothing other than the fact you havent falled asleep)

Many people click for potential hazards and get nothing, i found you have to click somewhere inbetwean developping and actual hazards.
The instruction video at the start explains NOTHING

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would hope that I'd be able to spot potential, developing and actual hazards - I've been on 4 wheels for over 15 years, but the testing procedure has developed beyong recognition since I did my original driving test Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1