Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starter Bike Yamaha RD 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tyral
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Starter Bike Yamaha RD 125 Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to the forums.

I'm going to do my CBT within the next few weeks and I want to get a suitable/reliable bike for daily commutes to work, which is only a mile away.
I've been looking on ebay, where I've found a Yamaha RD 125, in good condition, recently maintained and I was wondering whether this is a good choice for a starter bike.

PS, I have very little bike knowhow on bike mechanics, but I'm hoping to learn as I go along.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well RD125's are about 20 years old now and about as reliable as a Lada with no engine. Laughing

A better bike would be something like a Honda NSR125 or a 4 Stroke 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a CG125 has to be the ultimate slow little learner commuter, thing? Mr. Green the NSR needs maintenace, they seem a little fussy and might be a bit of a pain in traffic being a 2 stroke and all. Mind you a CG can't be much fun either Smile

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Tyral would want something more sporty, to progress a bit and be acceptable on a dual carriage way, as well as look like a tart. Razz
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:44 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt on an RD125LC and loved it to bits!
Having said that, they're getting on a bit now so may be a bit unreliable, but just do like I did and learn the intricacies of a two-stroke engine by having to take the thing apart to work on / rebuild it every so often!
Thumbs Up Very Happy

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacarius wrote:
I believe Tyral would want something more sporty, to progress a bit and be acceptable on a dual carriage way, as well as look like a tart. Razz

Indeed Wink

'RD' and 'reliability' are not normally used together in the same sentance unless its the beginning of a joke Laughing RD owners are a rare breed, willing to put up with then refusing to start, or running like a bag of shit only hours after they last fixed it.

A 4 stroke bike is a much wiser choice for a beginner, its what you will do your CBT on , and is the perfect introduction to larger bikes.

2 strokes look faster, and when derestricted go faster. but they are less reliable.

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:35 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the one with the recent rebore on ebay, I cant see much reason for it to gice trouble if the jobs good. It's true that old small strokers aren't always the most reliable bikes, but this is oftern because of the abuse they take, and the poor bodges learners use to keep them on the road. If this one is sorted properly is then you will no doubt get many miles of enjoyable service, its really worth checking the bike out before bidding however. A 4 Stroke will need less attention in the long run, could prove more reliable but no where near as much fun, riding a good small wild stroker is a whole heap more enjoyable! I cant see why that 1987 bike would be any more unreliable than an equivilant NS125, but its definatly worth getting someone in the know to go up with you and check the bike out before bididing, but this goes with any bikes brought of ebay.

This is the one I was looking at, if its the other which (is in need of restoration) then I wouldn't bother with it for what you want it for. This one looks pretty good though: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9809&item=2482455562&rd=1

Hope you find an ideal bike, RD or not and enjoy yourself! Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:02 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A standard RD should be fairly reliable, but they went out of production in the late 1980s (~1988).

Trouble is that the chances of an RD being standard after all this time are very limited, and 15~20 years of ownership by learners is hardly going to give them an easy time.

However they are nice enough little bikes. Derestricted they will do 87mph (but indicate rather more).

All the best

Keith

Tyral
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:25 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.
I think i'll give it while longer before I make my choice, so I don't rush into things and buy the wrong/bad bike.
I'll try and check out some local dealers near by, and read more into bikes, so I know what i'm getting myself into Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1