BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 05 Jul 2013    Post subject: What bike... Reply with quote

I'm looking for a road racer. I recently bought a 29er, but I'm finding it a bit of a pain doing my weekly 50km rides. I'm looking for something a bit better suited to the hilly smooth roads of Luxembourg.

I've never had a racing bike, so what am I looking for? €250 max budget and willing to go second hand...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:44 - 07 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to really rate Viking bikes for that budget. Personally I would look second hand at a decent branded bike and poss stretch to 300 if you could. Fit is the most important thing really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 07 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a triban 3 from decathlon or s/h from eBay if you can find one

Best budget road bike hands down.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Put 700c, slick road tyres on your 29" -er (which will fit on account of the rim sizes being identical).
2) Pump them up as hard as they go.
3) ???
4) Profit.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 08 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
1) Put 700c, slick road tyres on your 29" -er (which will fit on account of the rim sizes being identical).
2) Pump them up as hard as they go.
3) ???
4) Profit.

ok, that's not such a bad idea... I think I'll give it a go and consider the race bike later.

so, 700c...

is that 700 x 28c, 700 x 40c and what the hell does all that mean anyway?

I don't quite understand how wheel sizes and tyre sizes go together:

Quote:
Wheels

Formula DC20 alloy front hub; Formula DC22 alloy rear hub w/Bontrager AT-650 32-hole double-walled disc rims

Tires

Bontrager 29-1, 29x2.1"

Surely they could learn something from motorcycles/cars and produce a decent sizing spec?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:34 - 08 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:

ok, that's not such a bad idea... I think I'll give it a go and consider the race bike later.

so, 700c...

is that 700 x 28c, 700 x 40c and what the hell does all that mean anyway?

I don't quite understand how wheel sizes and tyre sizes go together.

Yeah. It's because the whole system is totally screwy. Bicycles have been about for a very long time and everyone who invented one came up with their own system.

Bicycle tyres are measured to the nominal OUTSIDE diameter of the tyre. So your 29" is 29 inches (737mm) to the outside of the tyre. A 700C is nominally 700mm to the outside of the tyre. The C denotes a rim width that nobody at all pays any attention to, they vary enormously.

They bead on both tyres is 622mm. This was an attempt at standardisation which wasn't widely picked, probably because of americans who hate all things metric and don't realise 700c IS metric. You'll see the 622 in brackets after the tyre size. I have 29" tyres on 700c rims on my mountainbike.

The other number is the width. So 700 x 28c is 700mm to the outside of the tyre, 28mm wide and on a C-width rim. A 28 is pretty skinny.

As I previously said, the "C" is meaningless these days, the rim widths vary enormously from bike to bike. You'll be wanting one of the wider ones designed for hybrid bikes.

Your 2.1" MTB tyres would be around 53mm width but your rims are 28mm wide, most 700c/hybrid rims are 19mm.

So you'll be looking at ones a bit on the wider side. It'll be a bit suck-it and see I suppose, I've put 29" on a 700c but noth the other way round. If it were me, I'd order a cheap 700 x 40(ish)C slick and see if it'll pop onto the rims.

Thankfully tyres are relatively inexpensive.
These are cheap.

Let me know how you get on if you try it.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:39 - 08 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to be really confused.

My 27" wheels are bigger than your 29" wheels.

My Girlfriend has 2 bikes one with 26x1 1/4 tyres and one with 26x2.0 tyres.

The 26x1 1/4 tyres are a fair chunk bigger than the 26x2.0 (almost 2" I think!)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 08 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Want to be really confused.

One of my wifes bikes has a set of wheels with 700c rims (mavic front, rigida rear because reasons).

I can fit a Michelin world tour tyre on the rigida one using my fingers but not on the mavic one even using tyre levers (well I probably could but I wouldn't fancy my chances of getting it off again). I can however pop a schwalbe cyclocross tyre on either using just my fingers.

On the wifes MTB, one brand of tyre fouls the fork bridge while another brand, in supposedly the exact same size, does not.

There is no way of predicting this kind of shit, you just have to try them and see. What it says on either the tyre or the rim should be treated as a rough guide to what might fit.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stinky & Chris...

Rated as helpful, even though they barely achieve that status. Wow, that's confusing!

It almost seems worth the expense of getting the shop to fit them...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1