BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kiran
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: CBT Reply with quote

hi, what do they do on a cbt, what im trying to find out is there an exam at the end, is it a theory and what else do i need to watch out for .. I apologise in advance for what is probably a stupid question.

thanks

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 23 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CBT comes in many parts. none of it is what i would class as hard, or strict they expect you to know nothing when you go to do it, and they teach you all you need to know.

There is a basic theory section to the CBT however this is not an exam. all they want to see is that you can learn and are not a danger to yourself or other people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FragReaper
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My CBT involved the instructor firstly talking us through basic maintenance of the bike to make sure it's safe to ride (using the POWER mnemonic). Taking it on and off the stand. We then went onto basic speed control, including emergency stops. Then we did control around cones at low speed, using the brake not the throttle to control your speed. Then some simulation to satisfy the instructor you will be safe to take out on the roads (Remember your lifesavers! Very Happy ) Then I was taken inside with the others where we went over theory of signs, roundabouts etc. as well as a guide on safety gear etc. If the instructor is satisfied you're safe to take out on the road under his supervision he will take you on the roads and instruct you via a headset. (one of the 4 of us taking the CBT when i did mine wasn't allowed out the car park; he was just not in control of his machine!) Then whilst on the roads, you just have to convince the instructor you are not a danger to yourself or others on the road. It might be quite daunting if you do not have any previous road experience like i did not; but keep calm and you're fine. Remember to take your time, he isn't going to think any less of you because you take it steady and cautiously. If it's all well and good, he'll take you back to the centre and sign your CBT certificate Very Happy. I think i had a particularly tough instructor... he failed everyone but me on CBT that day! from what i hear it is quite uncommon for people to fail CBT, so as long as you don't crash on it you'll be fine.
Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

FragReaper, did you not have ANY bike experience? Did you go to the CBT once, they teach you the basics, get you on the road to see your competent and then that's that, all in one day?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:52 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrique86 wrote:
FragReaper, did you not have ANY bike experience? Did you go to the CBT once, they teach you the basics, get you on the road to see your competent and then that's that, all in one day?

yes

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:17 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrique86 wrote:
, all in one day?

With me it was 4 hours from never riding a road bike, and I was the longest out of them all as all the others were just renewing (Think it was only 4 hours because I was boring the instructor to death, by riding the MPH speed limit in KPH and not realizing it Embarassed )

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:24 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrique86 wrote:

I did as well and did not have any major problems. The CBT instructors are very helpful and hopefully very experienced as well so you won't be the first person they've had who is having troubles getting to grips with doing something and they'll help you sort it out.

It is not a pass or fail test, you are being assessed all the time you are there so be aware of this Laughing as otherwise they might not give you a CBT for your own good!

It would pay off to be aware of the highway code rules and stuff before the day, as well as basic rules of the road and road sense but the most at 16 or 17 most people can have is from being a passenger in a car, or using a push bike on the roads. But basically every bit of road sense and law you're aware of will help the day go better for you.

Good luck, and happy CBT'ing. Thumbs Up

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

It is not a pass or fail test, you are being assessed all the time you are there so be aware of this Laughing as otherwise they might not give you a CBT for your own good!

If you are cocking around while on the CBT then you don't deserve to get it. You paid the money to learn to ride a bike, not to mess around. I'd say you should pay attention at all times and, if you can, do it on a geared bike (at 16 or older) and then you'll know how to use gears even if you go and use a twist-&-go after.

If its raining, take something waterproof (especially trousers if you've got them) and wear boots if you can.

The CBT is training, enjoy it. It's meant to be fun yet informative and get you interested in biking. Well, it did for me at least. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:02 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I agree as you're meant to be showing that you are safe enough to be let on the roads with an engine, and demonstrating this to the CBT tester is a good start to the process I'd say.

If you're not mature enough to be sensible for your CBT then you're not mature enough or sensible enough or safe enough to be let out on the roads as you'd just end up hurting yourself or others.

Kiran
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:20 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I did my cbt today and got the certificate, I am so happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you all

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 02:13 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, what are your plans now? are you gonna go for your test or are you going to ride around and get some experience under your belt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kiran
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:49 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna ride around get some more experiance then do my theory for the DAS

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah CBT, basically they give you a talk on motorbikes in general (vaguely how they work) for an hour or two, then youll go onto some kind of yard and theyll patiently get you to ride in a straight line (after stalling loads of times), till you can eventually corner too.

Then theyll show you how to change gears and turn a bit etc untill you can ride around the yard in circles pretty competently.

Then they might talk a bit more and then go on some quiet backroads and then maybe onto some normal roads with the odd car.

Then youre done!

By the end of the day youll be amazed that you can ride a motorbike when in the morning you couldnt find the "on" button!

VFR400UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:57 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

helps to have some expirence, helps evern more if your prepared to listen and learn.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1