Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So let me get this straight...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: So let me get this straight... Reply with quote

... I goto my CBT centre with no experience for a day or whatever. And i pass my CBT (just pretend), so, I can ride ANY bike, as long as it is restricted to 14.6BHP? Then, do my theory plus hazard and perception, pass that. Then, do my practical, pass that, and I can ride ANY bike up to 33BHP? So, for example, i could ride a Suzuki GSXR 1000, but just restric it to a 33BHP? Or something similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:29 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your CBT you can ride any bike of 11kw or 14.6bhp which has an engine no larger than 125cc. After your test you can ride anything restricted to 33bhp, anything over 600cc isn't recommended.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:02 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Sacarius. Although it isn't recommended, it is allowed though? I'm not going to get anything over 250 for a long time, just wondering out of curiosity.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:45 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have your licence, yes, you can ride *anything* restricted to 33bhp.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 09:51 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much stolen straight from MCN: : Wink

The Law. (UK)
At 16- Pass your CBT and you're stuck to a maximum of 30mph and 50cc, classed as a moped.
At 17- Pass your CBT and you can ride anything up to a 125cc bike (max power output of 11kw, 14.6bhp) with L-plates. Not allowed to take pillions or use motorway.
Pass your theory and then a practical test and you can ride any bike as long as its restricted to 33bhp. Throw away your L-plates and use motorways and carry pillions. Restriction comes off after 2 years and you can ride whatever you like.
At 21 or over- You can now take a Direct Access course (DAS). You still need to complete a CBT, theory and full test. The test is taken on a more powerful bike (at least 46bhp) and if you pass you may ride any bike you like and obviously carry pillions and use the motorways.
If you have a car licence that you passed before Feb 1,2001 you are legally allowed to ride a moped (50cc) without taking any training, although CBT is advised.

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate has got a cbt and he rides a jawa 350 with side car and hes legal cant remember wht power you are allowed with sidecar

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A side car defies the point of having a bike in the first place, does it not?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 24 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pass your car test and get yourself one of these!

https://www.petrolheadsmcc.co.uk/images/busa-trike.jpg

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, look at that ^! How much is that! I can't stop laughing at it! Anyway, thanks a lot stew, cleared EVERYTHING up for me. Quality. Thanks everyone else too!

Reano
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:34 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew wrote:
Pretty much stolen straight from MCN: : Wink

The Law. (UK)
At 16- Pass your CBT and you're stuck to a maximum of 30mph and 50cc, classed as a moped.
At 17- Pass your CBT and you can ride anything up to a 125cc bike (max power output of 11kw, 14.6bhp) with L-plates. Not allowed to take pillions or use motorway.

so, let me get this straight.... (im 16 btw)
i passed my cbt not long ago, i was given the impression that i had to re-take my cbt again next year, is this true?.
also, does this mean when i am 17 years old i can ride a 125cc on my provisional liecence?? or do i have to re-take the cbt again?. i found the cbt easy, just following a bloke around on a bike, him giving the orders...etc, he also said it wasn't even a test, it was just so he could see if i was able to ride on the road, and if i wasn't i would go back again and try the cbt again without paying.......anyways, am i right?? or am i wrong?.
cheers Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what CBT you did. if you did your CBT on a ped then you can only have a ped unless you redo the CBT. if you did it on a geared bike then you can get whatever when your 17.

The busa trike is a custom thing, cant buy them.

https://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tst/images/-busa3-.jpg

i would definatly preffer one of those to a robin Wink

Reano
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:48 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where things got kinda complicated.......
there was 2 of us during the cbt, me, and this other kid, we both where riding automatics at the time....
anyways, during the cbt this kids moped broke down, and the instructor had to ring his wife to bring a replacement bike, the instructor asked me if i was ok to ride a manual, i said "sure, id prefer a manual anyways" so i gave the kid the auto i was using, and i was handed this little manual bike.
i also recall the instructor constantly moaning at me on the radio saying "change gear!! change gear!!" he eventually pulled me over and said "why the hell dont you change gear!??? THat bikes revving way too high!".
it really was pissing me off, simply because i told him that i was in the HIGHEST gear it could go in, i think he was forgetting the fact it was only a 50cc and well, they do rev alot at top speed.....
still, i went home that night with a piece of paper saying i could go on the road, so....

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:02 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

look on the peice of paper, it will say, thats what its for Wink

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT on a ped.
I got a geared 125 at 17, the guy at the shop said "You have your CBT? You can ride it" but I wasn't confident with gears, so I booked a half day with a CBT course, just to learn how to use the gears, they were aware I had done my CBT on a ped at 16 years old.
They showed me what to do, let me practice with the CBT group in the car park and sent me on my way.
Seems I may be riding illegaly.
Guess I will have to retake my CBT before I start my lessons/take my test.....?

Whoops Embarassed

jezseaton
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 25 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Last edited by jezseaton on 17:33 - 20 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 00:44 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can legally take your cbt on a ped and ride a geared bike (up to 125cc) when you turn 17. Although i keep hearing rumours that they will change the CBT to restrict you to an auto if you do it on an auto (if that makes sense)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:59 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
You can legally take your cbt on a ped and ride a geared bike (up to 125cc) when you turn 17. Although i keep hearing rumours that they will change the CBT to restrict you to an auto if you do it on an auto (if that makes sense)

So I am okay?
Phew.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 01:27 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh

Yeah your ok.

I think the only time it is restricted is if you take your cbt with a sidecar attached.

Have Fun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:19 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only 1 type of CBT and it doesn't have geared or automatic marked on it. You pass a CBT and at 16 you can ride a 50cc, and at 17 you can ride a 125cc. It is worth doing the CBT on which ever you plan on using. Sure doing a day on a twist and go is much easier than having to play around with the clutch and gears but it's best you get trained and checked that you're safe enough rather than just trying to ride your new toy home and not having a clue how to operate the clutch and gears correctly and safely.

It would make more sense to have to have a CBT allowing you to use gears, or allowing you just on an automatic as car tests reflect the type of gearbox the vehicle has and if you do your car test in an automatic you're only allowed to drive an automatic. It does make sense and it'd hopefully improve road safety as well I reckon.

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:31 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is talk about the CBT only being valid for 1 year but at the moment its valid for 2, after that you need to retake it.

Guessing they are making it 1 to encourage people to take their full test instead of riding on L plates for so long.

If i'm wrong correct me, it was just a rumour i heard. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Sooty

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:18 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, I'm happy, although it doesn't make sense in my opinion that someone can go from a years ped riding, and pick up a geared 125 with no experience of gears, hence why I did a half day with a CBT course learning how to use gears.
But at least I don't need to retake my CBT for my test etc.
Yay.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:52 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsooty wrote:
Guessing they are making it 1 to encourage people to take their full test instead of riding on L plates for so long.

There is already the encouragement to do your full test that you're then allowed to ride a bigger bike, use motorways, take pillions and take those L plates off . Smile The cost and hassle involved in doing your CBT again is of a similar level to doing your CBT again.

And also your insurance will be cheaper after passing your test, and if nothing else it pays to get your 33bhp two year clock ticking away.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezseaton wrote:

p.s is there an AA/RAC car check equivelent for 2nd hand bikes?

Jez

MCN do a bike check for about £35 to see if its been crashed or stolen or anything untoward has happened to it. Didn't take it up personally but if you're unsure you can give them a bell.

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
That makes sense - if you take your car test in an auto you are restricted to an auto!

jezseaton
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Last edited by jezseaton on 17:34 - 20 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2