Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MTB inner tube.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: MTB inner tube. Reply with quote

I've just replaced a tube on my mountain bike that I think had a dodgy valve. The thing is that I just grabbed the first tube I could find in a local bike shop, but when I went to fit it I noticed that it's about twice the weight of the original one which is a Kenda item.

Will a heavier tube have any noticeable effect on the way the bike rides? What tube's do you MTB lot use on your bike's and is weight important?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Conti lightweight jobs. They don't like the heat though, you have to keep on top of pressures. But they are light and I don't get loads of punctures off them.

Before that I had some pink butyl efforts I wish I could remember what they were called. They were cracking, never worried about pressure and weight about as much as a durex.

EDIT: and tubes can be the easiest way to make a bike feel more sprightly and nimble. Or conversely slow and 'uncrashable' if you've got loads of suspension and tyre width.

I'm an XC kinda fellow though, so weight is more important to me.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of filling my old contis with slime. I noticed it when going up hills. I still use the continental race inner tubes, albeit without the slime now. It feels quick to accelerate, so no issues for me on that front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DH tubes that I double skin with old tubes so they're extra thick and extra heavy Laughing I'm also riding a one gear, one brake jump bike so not the most efficient bike to begin with.

Very rarely get punctures though unless I ride through a nail and broken glass section of trail or something (although to be fair it seems the chavs in Manchester love smashing bottles in the cycle paths...).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:21 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Re: MTB inner tube. Reply with quote

Ride it and see Smile.

Half the time - a pound shop tube, if I'm skint Smile.

As above, heavier tube should mean a bit more puncture resistance, so it may be worth the weight!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it, and despite my reservations it doesn't seem to affect the way the bike rides or being able to lift the front wheel over obstacles etc.

Unfortunately due a painful little swelling problem that I'm now on medication for, It's too painful to go on it, which is a bit of a bitch in this nice weather but not to worry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:09 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the option, I use Schwalbe tyres and tubes.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite topical. I went out to do some skids on some local trails yesterday. I was just walking past my bike in my flat just now when I noticed something on the back tyre:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_4599_zps49be7952.jpg

That's a nice 1 inch chunk of tyre missing and I can see the double skinned tube through it. No doubt if I hadn't of double skinned the tube I'd of had to walk the 6 miles home from the trails!

(Ok yeah sure that tyre is obviously past it's best but still Laughing )
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1