Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dental treatment abroad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

marsden1967
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Dental treatment abroad Reply with quote

I am going to need, in the not so distant future, extensive dental treatment as me gnashers seem to be falling out. I don't want to be a gummy bear so I have looked into the cost of implants but they cost over £1k each Shocked . I have looked at the option of going abroad to get them done, especially to Hungary where the dentists are world class and treatment is a fraction of the cost here.
So my question is; has anyone had any treatment abroad, or known anyone who's had it done? What were their experiences?Would they recommend it?
BTW I brush, floss, gargle, avoid sugar etc religiously, despite this my teeth are leaving me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work with a lot of Europeans - Poland, Hungary, Slovakia , most of them are all fine so long as you don't goto some back alley shoddy place of course - a lot of their customer bases are now western europeans like yourself so they are keen to do a good job in order to keep the customers flowing in.

Even Romania if you goto Bucharest and Bulgaria in Sofia have perfectly adequate dental clinics and are probably much cheaper not only for the work but to get to.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:47 - 23 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have scurvy? You get that from hammock action with pirates, I believe.

An in-law had some implants done in Bucharest or Budapest or somewhere like that, didn't get mugged, teeth haven't fallen out yet, had a nice trip out of it as well for less than the cost of being drilled in the wallet by a Britisher clinic (probably staffed by Elbonians anyway).
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 23 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say its win win really - to be perfectly honest the whole stigma of 'eastern european healthcare' is fairly unfair now days so long as you have the common sense to avoid the shady back alley places.

I think its a prime example of one of those things here in the UK people often presume because they're paying a hell of a lot for the service they're getting a good job - when in actual fact half the so called professional qualified dentists me and family/friends have used have often ended up botching stuff up or seeming only interested in flogging cosmetic crap - all at a lovely high cost of course Rolling Eyes

Theres the added benefit also if you do goto one of the above-mentioned countries, aside from the dental savings, although you do have the flight cost to pay you can also 'save/make' a fair bit of cash bringing back tobacco for yourself or pals, and get a two day holiday out of it to look around the cities if you fancy - win win Cool

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards may be different abroad (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and communication may not be ideal. Matierals may also be different. For most people things will work out fine. Occasionally they don't - then you'll be wishing you had it done locally in the UK (as no-one over here will be very interested in helping you sort things out).

Things go wrong locally too, but it's simpler to get things rectified.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I was looking into a similar thing, when I was younger I had a very bad diet and rarely brushed. Then developed an addiction to condensed milk. Needless to say one of my teeth had cracked (crash and pork scratchings) and I've been quoted £400 to have a crown put in.

Should of been the dentist earlier on but still have hatred for them after a baby tooth was ripped out without any pain killer when I was younger.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit a dentist in Warsaw when we go over to see the missus family. About 1/3 of the price here and probably twice as good. I would of thought anywhere in Europe has similar standards.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Turkey is pretty damn good for dental work. I personally, had work done really cheaply in Chiang Mai in Thailand (about 8 years ago). Thumbs Up

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:02 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
I visit a dentist in [Poland] when we go over to see the missus family...

Ditto. My good lady mentions higher standards and strict regulations etc in Poland but I couldn't give two flips - compared to my old English dentist, the Pole does a better job for a much lesser price.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into it a couple of weeks ago as had to have a front tooth removed, currently got a shitty denture in. UK lowest cost for implant is £1100, looking abroad it wouldn't be much cheaper when factoring in flight and accomadation.

I think it works out much better if you have having multiple teeth done, but for the one I'll just register with NHS and get a bridge put in for ~£200.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 05:03 - 06 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is Thailand. They are obsessed with dentistry, and there are a lot of foreign oritentated dentists in places like Bangkok and Phuket. A bit of research might get you some very cheap treatment.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 06 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the cheapest in whatever country you're going to. Go to one of the more "expensive" ones, which will still be cheap at our standards but that'll mean you should get more a professional service rather than Sergei round the back of the SPAR

cameron1590
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well thought I better comment on this considering I work for one of the main dental implant companies here in the UK who are also worldwide based.

The first thing is to consider the costs, you cannot just turn up and have a implant placed and leave later that day with your teeth.

1. You need a consultation with radio graphs etc so the dentist can plan what size implants he/she can place with out going through the sinus membrane or the ID nerve.

2. After the consultation and treatment planning the dentist will place the implant this will then need to be left for around 6 weeks to actually integrate with the bone.

3. Providing all has gone well and the implant has successfully integrated the dentist will then take an impression of the implant and send this off to a dental laboratory who then select the appropriate abutment and design a crown to fit in with your natural teeth this is normally be made out of zirconia.

4. After about a two week wait the dentist will receive the crown and abutment back from the dental laboratory and the dentist will attempt to fit the crown to the implant. The reason I say attempt is quite often the crown needs some form of adjustment so its back to the lab for a week.

As you can see if you had this carried out abroad you would either need a long visit away or several short visits there.

The company I work for has seen some masterpieces of work from abroad however some cases we have seen are truly shocking, where the implants have not been placed correctly.

This is just from my knowledge of working in the industry which will hopefully help you workout if its cheaper to go abroad or stay in the UK and have it done.

I would stress where ever you have the implant placed (UK or abroad) be sure to make a note of who the manufacturer of the implant is and also what implant they have placed (order code). We often have dentist call us up when a patient had the implant placed abroad and they are unsure what implant it is making it incredibly hard to find out.

Long day so just a brief explanation.

Cheers,

Cam

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatson_12 wrote:
Is it true that visiting fee of dentist Manhattan Beach is very reasonable? I need a affordable dentist to solve my toothache problem.

No they're really expensive. And they're butchers. I've heard of people going in for a routine filling and coming out in agony, covered in blood, with the problem still not solved. To add insult to injury they then have to go to a real dentist to sort out the mess. Avoid.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: Dental treatment abroad Reply with quote

marsden1967 wrote:

So my question is; has anyone had any treatment abroad, or known anyone who's had it done? What were their experiences?Would they recommend it?

Went to Turkey to get some of my teeth fixed. Also had a holiday.

The dentist has a rep that picks you up from your hotel and drops you off again after your treatment.

This is who I used, the dentist was in Kusadasi. Very happy indeed with the results. If you look art their site you can see some really bad cases that they've sorted out.

If you are getting crowns and you can afford it go for the Zirconium ones. Porcelain crowns are ok but, if you look at people who've had them a while, you can often see black lines around their teeth. That's because the porcelain is just an outer coating so it wears off. Zirconium ones are white all the way through.

I didn't have any implants but they do them and they'll do a load under general if you need need it.

Cost of flights wasn't too bad, we had a holiday too so I had a bit of treatment in the mornings and then we did the holiday bit in the afternoon. I guess you could have it all done in a couple of days (although implants take longer - might mean 2 holidays 6 weeks apart or something.)

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably need one or two implants at some point, not keen on bridges as they have to file down the adjoining teeth?

Can anyone recommend somewhere good in the general south east area?

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into this about a year ago.

Mums Neighbours daughter went to some place in slovakia.

She said it was good and was very happy, but had saved up to have a holiday and get lots done at the same time, change old fillings for white ones, couple of root canal,s crowns etc.

I only needed 1 re root canal doing. Given that I was in massive pain (probably more than when i severely broke my femur) and didnt have a huge amount of cash to get lots done it worked out a little cheaper to do it in the UK.

600 quid later for a filling and re-root canal with gold crown later & Im happy (well not in a lot of pain anyway).

Id like to have saved up and gone abroad and had lots done, but the amount of black liquid that came out of my tooth suggested I had made the right decision, for me, at that time.

The one mums neighbours daughter used is:

https://www.dentalholiday.co.uk/

and her message to me on facebook is:

"I can definitely vouch for them, a car will pick you up at the airport, you can stay in their accommodation (which is more than adequate), you can deal with Daniel Shaw (say I recommended you), they all speak good English, he's on my Facebook friends.

The price averages at a third of the UK. It's the quality of care that stands out, they don't charge for the things we have to in the UK.

The town where the clinic is called Piéstany, a spa town (Google it!), fab if you fancy an upgrade, the hotels are swanky. Ryan Air fly to Bratislava (I think a new clinic was opening there).

Dr Marek did my work, 10 crowns, 3 bridges, root canal x 3, plus further 2 crowns at the bottom. Plus filings changed to white. I've visited 4 times now.

So much better than the UK, the clinic is very modern. Food is cheap but diffetent, drink cheap again and lots of café/bars.

My only negative is Piéstany isn't very big, but if you get wi fi, you can hermit whilst recovering! Anyway any further info just ask! Hope this helps, best thing I've every done, you just need to travel and go for it! Keep me posted! "

I've no connection to this company by the way, and I'm sure she doesn't either.

Fino
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:17 - 10 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Thailand and have experience of dentisit's here in Chiang Mai (North). In my experience the treatment here has been far superior to any treatment I've had in the UK and it's a fraction of the price.

There are a lot of small outfits that'll do work for next to nothing. I avoid these and use the best place I can find - also most expensive.. To give you an example here is the price list for the dentist I use - https://www.elitesmilecm.com/fee.html. The exchange rate is roughly 50:1 to convert to GBP. I'm sure there are loads of other places like this in Thailand, but it's useful to compare to UK prices.

This place is all brand new and you can get an appointment within a few hours.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 228 days between these two posts...
Jachym This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachym wrote:
Good dental care is also in Czech republic. I was there with my teeth and I was satisfied. Checkout the medprestoge.eu

Yeah I went there and they butchered my mouth. I've never been the same since. I bleed from under my tongue whenever it rains. Also, there was someone in the waiting room just randomly strangling kittens. And the receptionist said she liked Westlife.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 152 days between these two posts...
nidorabayola This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:22 - 27 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2