Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tankbags

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:59 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Tankbags Reply with quote

I'd like a small tankbag, big enough to hold my waterproofs, perhaps a 0.6 litre sigg bottle, perhaps something to clean my visor, and some emergency tools. A clear map pocket would also be a requirement. I think 5 litres capacity would be plenty for that.

The idea is to have my waterproofs, directions and other road kit stashed separately so I can get a waterproof layer on quickly without messing with tightly packed luggage.

Beyond the directions staying readable, I don't care for the ultimate in waterproofing. I have a givi box and roll-top luggage for stuff that must be dry.

Leather or similar cruiser bags are horrible.

This would need to fit on the teardrop shape XV535 tank with filler off to one side. Picture is shit and has vacuum gauges in the way, but is best shot of tank i have. It's a tiny thing, but is steel, not the fibreglass of the early models that only had an underseat tank.

Recommendations?
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FriendlyEllis
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:30 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford X4 Tank 'n' Tailer gets good reviews

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191154028690?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
____________________
Honda CB600F Hornet 2013 -> Kawasaki Z1000SX ABS Tourer 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:33 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flexibility id say a Kriega us10 or us20 and tank adapter. You can then either use it as a tank bag or a tail pack.
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

X4 looks promising.

The kriega kit looks complicated, how quickly can I get a waterproof out of it? Looks good for secure load-lugging.

Anyone know where might stock the Oxford tankbags semi-locally? I don't think J&S Doncaster do. Might have to go for a ride Smile
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:32 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the X4. No complaints; used everyday and still in good condition, kept everything dry in pretty heavy downpours and fixings work well on both tank and tail. Clear map pocket is fine.

Only potential issue is size; but would have thought you could just about squeeze the stuff you mentioned into it, depending on how small your waterproofs fold up.

Bought mine online so can't suggest shops sorry.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors - add your name to the register
Ducati Multistrada 950 | Triumph Tiger 800 XR | Honda CBR500R | Yamaha YBR 125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-ESSENTIAL-COLLECTION-MAGNETIC-DAILY-MINI-TANK-BAG-/201024824450?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ece036482

Its big enough to hold my 4 radios for work and can squeeze a sarnie in too. Should fit your needs just about, very unobtrusive and handles motorway speeds.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just phoned every dealer listed on oxprod.com within sensible distance. Tomorrow I'll call in at J&S and see what they have, Friday I'll end up at my mother's so I can call in on Colin Appleyard's.

I hope I find something I like so I can keep a map to hand so I can avoid drug crazed bicyclists and devastation their bitches will cause to yorkshire over the weekend.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are anywhere near Leeds try GetGeared.
They had a tankbag on offer recently.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mgh0
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are anywhere near Birmingham I've got a spare one you can have. Pretty generic but it attaches with magnets and converts to a backpack.
____________________
"Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, it is defined by those who fell and rose to fight again." Adrienne Rich.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my last one dying on the motorway, replaced it with one of these which is absolutely brilliant.
https://tinyurl.com/pgp7ukn

It expands to a ridiculous size when needed, and zips down to a more sensible size others. Tons of additional features like a zip-out bumbag, backpack conversion panel, and others. I would really recommend it but i'm not sure if it might be a little too big for your tank - the magnetic flaps may well grip the sides nicely though.

Otherwise maybe something like this looks a decent size/capacity and not too large. As with the other one it isn't waterproof in itself but comes with a detachable waterproof cover when needed.
https://tinyurl.com/ooe7vsz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
After my last one dying on the motorway, replaced it with one of these which is absolutely brilliant.
https://tinyurl.com/pgp7ukn

It expands to a ridiculous size when needed, and zips down to a more sensible size others. Tons of additional features like a zip-out bumbag, backpack conversion panel, and others. I would really recommend it but i'm not sure if it might be a little too big for your tank - the magnetic flaps may well grip the sides nicely though.


I have one of those also for lugging bigger items. Fantastic and the magnets are movable.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price its an absolute bargain in my opinion. I managed to transport a full face helmet in it last week, along with a load of other stuff crammed in around it - didn't move an inch the entire way. Only problem was when I hit a bump my chin banged the helmet as it was that high on the tank Laughing but thats on a sportbike thats not exactly made for transporting helmets on the tank in comfort Whistle

As with my last bag too - the front section of my tank is plastic so thats been held on so far with two of the four magnets, would be even more secure with all of them attached Thumbs Up Didn't realise they were moveable before though, i'll have to see if I can shuffle them around to get the other two in contact with the metal tank perhaps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:55 - 08 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called in at J&S and tried the oxford first time 38 litre on the bike, it's simply too big to fit on my small tank.

Thanks for the offer mgh0, but not likely to be heading any further south than Sherwood forest anytime soon.

This frank thomas is the biggest that will fit the tank, unfortunately it's a bit crap, moving if one encounters any kind of bump in the road, and the first time I tried to get a move on along the A635 the wind got underneath it and it hit me in the chest. And when I say a move on, I'll remind you all that this is on aforementioned wheezy cruiser with probably unnecessary restriction kit. I returned it.

Map spent most of the weekend stuffed inside my jacket. The roads I got lost down were mostly epic. Apart from the point where I dismissed an "unsuitable for HGVs" warning, then saw a 25% gradient triangle just as the cobblestones started and then observed the road ahead of me disappearing into a left hand hairpin bend that would have challenged the amount steering lock I had available.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford X4 arrived, it's big enough for my two piece waterproof oversuit, my goretex gloves and some visor cleaner. I might be able to fit a spanner or two in there as well if I pack it carefully. Not getting a drink in too, but mostly I stop for coffee and a stretchleg and ignore the bottle of water so not to tragic. Map holder is fine with a few sheets of paper in it. A little precarious with my compact road atlas, but it does work.

Magnets are immensely strong and being able to move them means the off-centre filler cap isn't a problem. Had a quick test of it today and it stayed put well enough. It's worth the money and appears to be well made. If I get a bike that doesn't have a toy size tank I think I'll look straight for a bigger oxford.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier



Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgh0 wrote:
If you are anywhere near Birmingham I've got a spare one you can have. Pretty generic but it attaches with magnets and converts to a backpack.


Can I have it if I pay postage?

I have a small one for short days out but will need a larger one as the mrs is wanting to go further afield
____________________
Recent bikes: Varadero 125 - Mod 2 3/2/14 - Bandit 1200 SK4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 90.33 Kb