Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone done a name change - deed poll? UPDATED & SORTED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:41 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Anyone done a name change - deed poll? UPDATED & SORTED Reply with quote

Looking into this for my step-daughter.

Thought it would be fairly easy but I'm struggling.
Looked at the government site Change your name (by deed poll) and looks fairly easy.
However, their link to the download the appropriate form is just confusing.
Which form and then where to send it (BTW for an adult, as in 16+).
Looks like you need solicitor/court person to witness things too.

Citizens advice page is useful but doesn't cover specifics.

Unless I have to I do not see the need to enrol the deed poll, as according to the government leaflet this will be an extra £102. Please advice if I really need to enrol the deed poll with the court.

So any help through this potential minefield would be appreciated.

I see online there are companies who do it for you but on principle I don't like paying over the odds for something I should be able to do for myself.

Thanks in anticipation Thumbs Up

Last edited by map on 16:25 - 07 Aug 2013; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr-jermy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:03 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from having a look at the site the form you require is 'Deed poll - Statutory declaration for an adult' as for where to send it i'm not sure as there doesnt appear to be an address on where to send it to, might be worth giving them a ring to see if they can help you over the phone as solicitors would be too expensive.

FYI

A colleague of mine recently changed her mind and was going to go through her sols to get it done however they wanted £200+ but managed to do it herself online for about £50

hope this is of some help Smile

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:16 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local solicitors have said if they just need a signature / witness then it's the same as an oath for them so £5.

I think the solicitor cost comes from them preparing the deed poll. Which I hoped to avoid by getting the government forms. Now not sure if it can be done that way but if not damn confusing from government site.

The online stuff just appears for you to fill in the details and they charge you for sending out the deed poll (cheaper if they email usually). However, reluctant to give details to potential spam (and other potential thieving) merchants (as name/address details could be used to scam).

Last edited by map on 13:27 - 05 Aug 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a few times. You don't actually need to do anything other than inform the relevant bodies by mail but a £5 statutory declaration from a solicitor helps grease the wheels (get multiple copies). The DVLA are known for illegally refusing to do a name-change on your licence without one.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:30 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
...a £5 statutory declaration from a solicitor helps grease the wheels...

Thanks for the advice.
I've done the Statutory Declaration letter from the Citizens Advice site. However, as she want to renew a passport then looks like the full monty of a deed poll is required*.

Confused

*As not sure of legality of having a Statutory Declaration renouncing former name and having passport in original name.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
...a £5 statutory declaration from a solicitor helps grease the wheels...

Thanks for the advice.
I've done the Statutory Declaration letter from the Citizens Advice site. However, as she want to renew a passport then looks like the full monty of a deed poll is required*.

Confused

*As not sure of legality of having a Statutory Declaration renouncing former name and having passport in original name.

It makes no legal difference, the law requires only that you are not making yourself known by another name for fraudulent purposes. There is nothing illegal about having your driving-licence in one name and your passport in another. It's just not very practical.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I've done it a few times. .

Why does that not surprise me? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:54 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now done a little more research and have found this site - FreeDeedPoll.org.uk that has some interesting information.

I did also come acress this pdf example from hmdeedpoll.org.uk.

It appears to me there is little difference between a Statutory Declaration and a Deed Poll. Except one is more 'legal and official'. Unless anyone can provide evidence to the contarary of course Confused

The deed poll doesn't have to be done, as in created, by the solicitor. I suspect printing the one created by FreeDeedPoll.org.uk and taking it to be signed by a solicitor would be ok (having solicitor name and business address) and only cost the £5 oath fee.

I did contact a local solicitor who said they could draw up the deed poll which would be signed in front of them and then they'd witness it. Cost of that £35 + VAT, so £42. That'd I guess that'd be for just printing out a pro-forma (like FreeDeedPoll one) and 10 to 15 minutes maximum of their time. Nice!

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy, my mate did it years back when we were at uni. And I know it's ridiculous but he even got into the Daily Mail.
My friend Tom Hayward, changed to N'Tom The Hayemaker Haywardyouliketocomebacktomine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
It should be easy, my mate did it years back when we were at uni. And I know it's ridiculous but he even got into the Daily Mail.
My friend Tom Hayward, changed to N'Tom The Hayemaker Haywardyouliketocomebacktomine

Was he a cunt? (He sounds like a cunt)

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan. wrote:
Was he a cunt? (He sounds like a cunt)

He was always "that guy". Jumping in the canal, in Huddersfield. Uprooting a small tree and dragging it home with him drunk, police knocking on his door because they simply followed the soil line to him. Medical testing ... needless to say, I graduated two years ago, he ... well ... hasnt

betamax
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:30 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a speeding charge in court a few years back and chose to sit at the back of the magistrate's court rather than the benches outside the door. Watching the cases go by until it was my turn; One prolific offender had changed his name to Naughty Rascal.

Cunt.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I've done it a few times.

Is that why you are not called "Siggy" anymore?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
I've done it a few times.

I've never been called "Siggy". Confused

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask one of the mods to do it. Thumbs Up

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing someone on telly years back who had changed his name to Le Golan D Windsor by way of some sort of cybersquatting loophole or something.

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Ariel Badger wrote:

I've never been called "Siggy". Confused

Siggi on the other hand...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:52 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
I remember seeing someone on telly years back who had changed his name to Le Golan D Windsor by way of some sort of cybersquatting loophole or something.

Fucking superb Laughing

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this when I was 17 - used these: https://www.ukdps.co.uk/

Piece of piss to sort out, the ballache is changing your name at the doctors, dentist, DVLA, passport, all that shit.

You get 1 original then you can pay for copies. I paid for copies as after so long they delete the backups (or at least they did).

You get 1 in the post, sign/date it with a professional person, send it back then you get stamped copies. Job done.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update as I think this is sorted.

Found another free template from Notary Public London / Matthew Pryke on the Changing name by Deed Poll page.

Template is a .doc format so easy to edit (rather than the created online pdf ones). Modified using an Old English and Goudy Old Style font to pep up the appearance Very Happy

There is some good information in the FAQ bit as well if anyone wants to have a look. Appears only one witness signature really required.

As a safety net going to get that signed/witnessed by the solicitor for the £5 fee and then pay for a couple of certified copies to be on the safe side. Then the hassle of letting the authorities, banks, etc. know. Apparently passport office can be funny if you have a deed poll but no other proof you're using your new name.

Thanks for the input and I hope this thread and the above links prove useful for anyone thinking of this in the future.

Thumbs Up

Ludford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:39 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing your name via deed poll doesn't cost any money. It's a common misconception that you need to go to those name changing companies that charge you money.

Changing your name by deed poll is as simple as writing "I ____ hearby reliquish the name ____ and will hence forth be known as ____". Signed by you and 2 whitnesses.

You don't need to go to any "official" looking places to change your name or inform the government. A man has a right to choose his own name without government approval.

The deed poll will be enough evidence to change our name on your licence and banks etc.

Please note that a deed poll does not change the name on your birth certificate.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 24 days between these two posts...
DeedPoll This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeedPoll wrote:
You can ask DeedPoll through this link: https://www.ukdeedpolloffice.org/contact-us. Your query would surely be given the right analysis.

I did. Asked to be called Dave Smith but they changed my name to Cuntfucker Baracas.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:32 - 08 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we even have a Spam rating? I've never seen any poster get karmabanned for it.
DeedPoll This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2