Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lap of the country for National autistic society

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Paul Newman This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: Lap of the country for National autistic society Reply with quote

First off, you seemed to have missed a [/b] tag and not noticed - your entire post is bold!

Anyway, so... you are having a holiday 'for autism' Confused.

Bit of a weird concept, that.

Further, you are getting companies to give you goods, services and possibly money in aid of your holiday?

Nicely blagged!

I'm hoping to spend a bit of time in France with my motorhome later in the year - if I do it 'for charity', do you reckon I'll get Triumph to give me a free bike to ride on my holiday as well?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:43 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autism, you say?
Pass the popcorn

Paul Newman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:45 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

Your entitled to your own opinion but think you have got the wrong idea, they helped me just trying to do some good in return.

This is all for my boy who is an autism sufferer and a chance for bikers to get together and do some good Very Happy

If i wanted a holiday i would be sunning it up some were for 2 weeks ! This is all to raise awareness for a charity that done right by me. I was gave a bike to do the ride on and recieved money towards expenses to ensure that every penny donated from the public goes to the charity and I feel that was the right thing to do besides half the costs are straight out my own pocket !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one, wish you well and I might meet up with you on the King's Lynn to whitby leg, need to know what you are riding and colours and what roads you are taking.
Rae

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought with all that money from your salad cream and movies you wouldn't need the money for a holiday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Autism, you say?
Pass the popcorn

https://i.imgur.com/BVkDRy2.png

Paul Newman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:12 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: salad cream and movies Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I thought with all that money from your salad cream and movies you wouldn't need the money for a holiday.

Ha ha ha ha ! Love it !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

My post was more question than opinion Wink.

Paul Newman wrote:

If i wanted a holiday i would be sunning it up some were for 2 weeks !

Perhaps you are the wrong person for this trip, then - because I know many many 'bikers' who would consider touring the country for a couple of weeks doing a leisurely number of miles a day a 'holiday'. Indeed your description of 'a cruise of the coast' sounds quite pleasant.
When I did similar along with a charity (sic) trip, I considered it a holiday.

I can't help but feel that if you wanted to help charities related to autism, if you put the time you did into doing this (as it's apparently not your choice of Holiday) in to other activities, you'd do much better.
Seems likely you'll be spending at least £500 on fuel - that's £500 straight away that's going to a big business rather than a charity.

Where are you going to be sleeping over the trip?

Paul Newman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

Well I got to be honest, If i gave the money I am using in expenses straight to the charity, it would be satisfying, maybe get me pic in the paper but ultimately forgotten in a week. This way I reach a lot more people and raise a lot more awareness. I have got to be honest and say that I have put a lot of hard work into this and over come a lot of issues to do this. It has been hard work on top of my full time job and looking after my kids. This has had such a positive response on a whole and much more support than negativity. It generally does hurt to have complete strangers totally get the wrong idea and take what we are trying to do and use it to vent there own pessimistic views. I genuinely am just some one they helped trying to return the gesture

I never said I wont enjoy doing this but I dont remember putting this much work and making sacrifices both financial and with my time to go on holiday before !

Oh and I am camping on my trip.

Last edited by Paul Newman on 21:08 - 06 Aug 2013; edited 1 time in total

Spudly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I'll be honest here, I can see what it is you are trying to do. Without knowing your particular circumstances, I can even understand why you are doing it and I honestly hope you raise loads for the charity.

However. One of the first rules of marketing - which is what you are doing here - is to know your audience.

You have done a google search, seen the bikechatforums link, thought "hey, they like motorbikes, I'm riding a motorbike, I'll get them in, brilliant!" which admittedly, sounds logical.

Thing is, people aren't that simple. To a lot of us, a 4000 mile ride around the country is a holiday. Something all of us would gladly pay for ourselves. To us, doing a thing for charity means doing something difficult or unpleasant, for a significant time, experiencing real hardship. Swim the Thames like David Walliams. Do the journey John Bishop did, ride from Paris, row across the channel, then spend four days running to London. Hardship. Pain.

Gentle ride in summer around the country? Bit of a sore back maybe and yeah a ballache to organise, but hardship?

If you were to walk around the country wearing full motorcycle leathers (including helmet) then yeah, I reckon a lot of us would get behind you, because we know exactly how much of a bastard that would be.

You have just signed up and blurted out "Motorbike, kiddies, gis some money". Honestly, we see it a lot. Why pay you to do something we all have to pay to do?

Make sense?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

Paul Newman wrote:
This way I reach a lot more people and raise a lot more awareness.

If you want to 'raise awareness', how about you spend that two weeks doing activities that cost you very little, maybe some that actually earn money, to raise awareness?
Things, maybe, like directly related to raising awareness; telling people about it, rather than riding a motorbike?

Glad to hear you're camping; I hope that's wild camping?

If you think we are 'getting the wrong idea', perhaps you need a more robust explanation of why this really is the best way to help a charity, when for many others it sounds like a fun jolly?

If I went, say on to your facebook wall and posted up "I'm going to Ibiza for two weeks to support and raise awareness of this charity, please donate, advertise me for free to your friends and so on", would you question it at all? Of course, thanks to the publicity, I'd be getting corporate sponsors to cover the costs wherever possible.
Would it be ok because I'd put a lot of hard work in to it?
Would people criticising just be 'getting the wrong idea' trying to 'vent their own pessimistic views'?

Also, your facebook link in the first post is broken.

Paul Newman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: spudly Reply with quote

I do see were your coming from. I think there is a fair point to be had.

How ever ....

Firstly you are not one penny goes to me, the expenses or to any one else. It all goes to the charity. Hence why I sold one of my bikes and took on business partners to cover any expense and so all proceeds goes to the charity.

Secondly why can some one not do something they love to do some good.

Thirdly 300 miles a day for 14 days is a lot for me

Fourth whilst i see your points I can not help but feel like you have missed mine.

We are trying to get people together for a good cause, whilst reaching as much of the country as possible spreading awareness and raising a few quid for a good cause.

I would like to add from all the places I have posted and spoken to about this I have generally had a good reception and have numerous supporters.

Ask your self's these 3 questions.

Do you know any one who suffers with Autism ?
Do you know what autism is ?
Do you know what the charity does ?

All i am trying to do is a little good and if people want to view that as a free holiday or not a challenge or paying me to do what they pay to do, then that's there problem as there is plenty more people who can answer yes to all the questions above and have sacrificed there time and effort to support this cause and there hard earned to the charity itself.

You have made me realise one thing how ever. I think that the time I have wasted trying to talk to people who are only interested it taking the P**S out of what is a genuine attempt to do some good in an attempt to make them self's feel a little better about there own crap is time I should be spending on people who are sacrificing time energy and there own hard earned.

On that note think what you like and if there is any one interested in taking a ride they are more than welcome !

Spudly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. And for a while you were doing so well.

"If you don't support my charity you are a pedo/arsehole/kittenslayer/wanker". My advice would be not to post anything else in this thread and just read what will undoubtedly follow.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:00 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about raise money by putting your fuel money in there, sitting down and watching Corrie.

Sorted Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autistics piss me off

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much autism, so little time.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:07 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how you see it.
You are hinting that this is an activity you will 'enjoy'; and you are getting things provided for it.
I don't see why 300 miles on a comfortable touring bike should be a lot for anyone? For some couriers it may be an easy day's work.

You ask/state 'why can some one not do something they love to do some good.' I believe I asked about the same.
Why can I not have a holiday to Ibiza and raise some money and awareness at the same time?
(Actually, I'd probably consider this more arduous than riding around the country - I moved away from Essex as soon as I could - but let's ignore that.)
If you are firm with your conviction that what you are doing is a worthy proposition, surely you must be able to respond to my point?
Does saying "I'm just trying to do a little good" and the like justify my view point that others should support my holiday?

There has been a sea-change in relation to the way 'charity' fund-raising has been done over the last twenty to thirty years.
I'm pretty sure this is due to corporate marketing organisations realising they can maximise their profits if they get the public to cough up for other members of the public to do arduous rather than enjoyable things.
It's seen massive profitability for these businesses. Not always so much for the charities using them.
So yes, people these days accept paying for other people to have a jolly because it's "for charidy".

Yes, yes and no in relation to your questions.
You say you're trying to 'raise awareness', yet the charity you are raising money for and it's work aren't mentioned bar the name, if that is the name in the subject.

Missing your point? Well, here we have a lot of people that have found the forum on google and decided it'd be an excellent place to promote their holiday which they're asking people to donate money to a charity for the sake of them going on it.
It's a subject I've thought about a fair bit myself.
If you've also thought about why this is the best way to raise awareness and money for your cause, I'd expect a robust explanation.

I would not expect the need for snide comments.
Do explain who you feel is posting to make themselves* better and how you know this?
(*When trying to sell yourself, a grammar and spell check are both worth while.)

Are you going to be wild camping?

Incidentally, a member on here managed to raise a significant amount of money for a group trip she was going on.
Ok, it was no doubt 'who you know' to some degree.
They weren't trying to piggy back an enjoyable trip on 'charity', for a start. More, they offered 'rewards' in a kickstarter fashion to those who gave money. Plenty gave money without requesting the rewards it seems, but plenty also effectively 'bought' their cookies.
And, as with kickstarter, some of them were actually fairly good value - you were paying the right sort of market rate, while supporting their effort.
A much better business model to my mind.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: spudly Reply with quote

Paul Newman wrote:

Ask your self's these 3 questions.

Do you know any one who suffers with Autism ?
Do you know what autism is ?
Do you know what the charity does ?

Yes, many posters on here are multi colours on the bawtism spectrum .

Yes, bawtism is an excuse for shitty behavior in kids with workshy alcoholic parents who cant be arsed to look after them.

Yes, it pays its CEO £120,000 a year. So fuck all will be going from me to him.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: spudly Reply with quote

Unfortunate that it seems the OP hasn't thought through this apparently quite big endeavour enough that he can answer a few questions when asked.

Which is, of course, why I'm rarely impressed by such endeavours Thumbs Down.

So, if you're still lurking there - g'wan, do give it a go answering some questions about it - I still want to know if you think it'd be ok for my Holiday to Ibiza to be sponsered?

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd be the one having the arduous time, frankly!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Seems likely you'll be spending at least £500 on fuel - that's £500 straight away that's going to a big business rather than a charity.

I'm afraid Charity is big business. A sorry state of affairs one must say.

If you give a homeless guy on street some money at least you know where it's going. In the hand of the local crack dealer.....probably.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a Charity ride on Friday, From Merseyside to Peterborough. Does anyone want to sponsor me. All money going to a cause. (Mine).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:12 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: HOLIDAY ?? Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

I'm afraid Charity is big busines

In the hand of the local crack dealer.....probably.

Fair point; in both cases Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2