BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Charity

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:01 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Charity Reply with quote

a few weeks back i got collared at a train station by a barnados blokey, and ended up signing to say id give them a tenner a month

mainly down to my inability to be nasty and say no, i also thought there are worse things to spend a tenner on, and id only piss it away some other way

just wondering what peoples thoughts were on charity in general? do you contribute anything, support anything volunteer for stuff etc

i know some people are strongly against charities where you send money to help africa etc because they believe we have problems in our own country that need to be addressed first etc

just wondered what peoples thoughts were..
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give atleast a tenner to Children In Need every year, and if theres someone collecting on the streets and they have ID to say it will go to a decent place, I throw a bit in there.

At this moment in time I couldn't give a tenner a month away, just paid for my new ZZR600 and its Insurance. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One which I'm going to be joining soon (and getting help from as well Sad ), is one called Head Way which helps with people with brain injuries which is what I'm now left with. So if there is anyone who is looking to join a charity I have been told this one is a good one.v Thumbs Up

Ste

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:09 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the way I spend money, I tend to end each day with about £5 in shrapnel weighing down my pockets, so when I am in town, if I spot a "worthy" cause, I give it to them, I'd only spend shrapnel on sweets/coke etc, so no real skin off my nose.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:29 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give to charity unless its one that I have a predefined interest in. I certainly don't agree to stuff like that in the street.

Its not because I'm not charitable, its just I really hate being asked for money in the street.

Riders for health is my usual one... I now have another one that I will give money to courtesy of Ste! Thumbs Up Very Happy I also occasionally give money to the RNIB because my grandfather was blind.

I especially avoid the bigger ones such as Oxfam because the director of Oxfam is reputed to earn obscene amounts of money and drive a Rolls Royce... there is something not right about that IMO. Confused

Otherwise, like I said, apart from my predefined ones I steer clear.

{edit} Ste, the Headway link doesn't work... {edit}

Last edited by MarJay on 19:47 - 26 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:39 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Head Way link does work Confused But there isn't much interesting reading on their site, but I've been told their work is good.

The ones in the street who start waving things under your nose and hassling you are annoying as they're not getting their charity good publicity really.

I agree with Mark's point of giving to ones which you have a predefined interest in, as otherwise well, the money is going to a better cause {it might not be a actual better cause, but it is in your own eyes}.

The bigger ones like Oxfam as Mark says are trying to operate as a business as well, so not 100% of their money is going to help those in need which is the impression they give you when they ask you and try to make you feel bad when you say no.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:48 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works now... weird huh? Smile

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:01 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got "stung" by one of Bank detail collecting charity reps. It ended up being setup on a two days before payday.

When i realised i phoned the charity to change the date, they didn't do it in time and i got charged £28 by my bank, three day later i got a letter from the charity explaining that they were going to charge me £25 for missing a direct debit. Evil or Very Mad

My charitable mood dissapeared completely then and i told them to f**k off. I've decided that if i want to give to charity i'll approach the charity of my choice and not the other way around!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:26 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few quid taken out of my pay for the army beneveland fund, which will support me all the way through my life if i have any problems.

I also like to support the RNLI as i used them a few times in the past.

I have done work to help a few of the charity's supporting the blind due to knowing someone blind and finding them inspiring.

Give money to a lot of charity's as long as i don't get bugged by them and they deserve it. So not the Africa ones as their government will just spend it.

Sooty

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way charities work, for every £10 you give about £1.50 goes to the actual reason you gave. The rest is on administration, marketing, legal and accountancy fees, staffing and highly paid professionals that run the organisation!

I know one charity that if it spends £5million on marketing and raises £6million (net £1million) then they are pleased. I personally despise the individuals who collar you on the street asking to spare "two minutes" to discuss lung disease or whatever & then get you to sign a direct debit.

The only way to ensure that you efforts are going to charity is to actually, physically do it. Helping in a hospice, Samaritans, a childrens home, whatever.

I once visited a very well known International charity and was shocked at the waste, ineffectuallness of the staff & overall malaise in the organisation. Diabolical!

If you want to give to charity, give your time, not your money!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staff who work for a charity should not be being paid, it should be something you choose to do. Head way is run partially by people who have had brain injuries, so they're able to understand more what you've been through and tell you about what they did to help manage with the disabilities, which is easier than having to learn it yourself by trial and error. Depending on how it all goes there and what I make of it, I'd be happy to spare some time once I'm better to help people there as if I'm able to I might as well, as I know full well at the moment any help is really appreciated and there is a very good chance that people who have been through the same things will be in the best position to help you.

Some charities do operate more as a full time job with their own salaries and stuff, but good luck to them as people are catching onto this and won't be giving them money so they'll have to re-think how they go about operating.

Ste

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:09 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give x per month to some little charity in india. Happy with that, got collared trying escape work one day.

I don't let any of my money into africa. Its a shithole, I'd much rather see them kill each other and give us some space.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:03 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet hate is sponsored things, I will either give money to a charity or not, no one need to do anything. (parachute jumps where if you get x amount of sponsership the jump is free are very anoying).

I extend this to dress down down days for corperate sponsered charities where they try to make it compulsory Evil or Very Mad

I gave something to the NSPCC is response to a mailing once, never again I must have starting geting 3 letters a week. Can we have 50 quid a month and worked down. They must have spent every penny I gave them asking for more.

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever given money to the Air Ambulance. I think this is a worthy cause as one day it may save a life on the forum. My uncle died in a motocycle accident a month or so back. Without the Air Ambulance getting to him so quickly he would have proberbly died at the sceen. At least he stood some chance, thanks to them!

Jo
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:12 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always give to the poppy people each year and I'll give Jim pennies to put in the shaking tins, just like my mum used to.... kiddies like stickers! Very Happy

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:23 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually have Help the Aged around on the streets practically begging for money, I hope you lot know they get £8 per hour Wink

The only charity I give to is for "Surfers against Sewage".
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:39 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarsBar wrote:
I have only ever given money to the Air Ambulance. I think this is a worthy cause as one day it may save a life on the forum.

Just to pick on that, that's another one which I'm now aware of basically the good work they do. They were planning on taking me in the air ambulance, but my condition was not safe enough so they took Dusty instead. Thumbs Up

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i don't give much to charity really and quite frankly, starting to feel a little guilty after reading this Sad
I'll always hand pocket change to collections while in town but i suppose i could give more.
If i had some money in my bank, i'd donate some right now. Maybe next thursday when i get the family allowance Smile

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:32 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how all the big one's say they need more and more money as what they have now isn’t enough for them. Strange then that they pay people to work for them, can afford nice long adverts in the middle of programs people are trying to watch(bastards) begging for more and more money.

The bank balances are growing but the amount they dish out isn’t. Confused

Rather support local charity’s as it's more likely to get used.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:48 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At cadwell they made a big thing that if you ran out of fuel at the other side of the circuit from the paddock, then they would make you donate a fiver to the Lincolnshire air ambulance.

Interestingly, Dusty ran out of fuel on the other side of the circuit.
He gave a fiver to the air ambulance charity, but didn't let on that he had in fact made use of the air ambulance only three months before! Very Happy

bikerchic17
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I am completely skint I don't give regularly to charity. But I do occasionally buy those little badges and things that they have on the counter in shops. But that is all i can afford!

k x

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 15:59 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give every year for Remembrance Day, I also give to the RNLI and other lifeboat crews when they're camped out in the town or wherever.

Not sure why, I just have a respect for the RNLI and what they do! They're all volunteers and performing the same jobs saving lives as you would expect any other emergency service to do, only for free.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:31 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, considering that organisations such as Brake are registered charities, and yet go in for political posturing over road safety, it seems the whole charities thing is a bit screwed up.

All the best

Keith

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate "chuggers" (charity muggers) ever since i found out that my mate was working for green peace. He told me that he was doing work for green peace and i had a lot of respect for him. He then told me how he got paid £7ph with commission for the number of people they sign up and how much they sign them up for.

They are a pain in the arse and should not be doing it for the money.

Give money/time to things that effect you, or could effect you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1