Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tell me about BMW K75 or K100s

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Tell me about BMW K75 or K100s Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting another bike soon. I want something big and smooth. Shaft drive is a plus, a decent screen, and a big enough engine to be lazy.
I'm considering the diversion 900, and the BMW K75 or K100.

Who has owned a BMW K75 or K100, and what are they like to ride and live with?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmaduke
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my K75, smoothest engine, can't even tell it's running other than from the sewing machine sounding fuel pump.

Plenty comfy, brakes are ok.
Nice big battery and alternator to not have to worry about plugging all your gadgets in.

Only issue is the shaft drive splines wearing if you neglect to grease them.

Mine has 88k miles and doesn't burn any oil other than from the common side stand issue of oil seeping past the rings on some of them.

Mines a bit broke now though since the throttle got stuck and threw me off. Engine still runs fine, but has no brakes or handlebars...


Update:
Dry clutch is a welcome change, just remember that the transmission has it's own oil that needs changing along with the final drive.
____________________
Current: '03 Tuono RSV1000, '05 Van Van, '91 Zephyr 550
Previous: Multistrada 620,Bandit 600,Kawsaki ER-5, BMW K-75
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: Tell me about BMW K75 or K100s Reply with quote

Ask Danny as he had one for a while?

I rode it a few times and, as you might expect; wasn't impressed.
It felt it's age and size. Not much power there, so need to thrash it a bit to get a proper move on.

There are cheaper ways to get a slow, heavy and badly performing bike Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that temeluchus had a K100. I might be wrong - I could never get my head round the BMW model numbers.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise you asked about the beemers rather than the divvy however you're not a million miles from me if you fancy a spin on a divvy900 to see what it's like, mines not a minter but it runs and rides as it should, it will at least give you an idea.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug, I may take you up on that when I'm seriously looking in a month or two.

G - You should know by now, that if you hate a bike it's probably ideal for me.

What are the BMWs like to work on? I assume the access is fairly good, but I get the feeling that a clutch change is going to be somewhat painful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a R1100s and the clutch change on that requires basically dismantling the whole back end of the bike, supposedly it isn't particularly difficult, more annoyingly long winded.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - I was considering mentioning 'character' too.

But; you never know, if you got a competent bike, you might find you actually like it Wink.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmaduke
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I've just remembered with them is the fans melting themselves to the radiator as they cut in at too high a temperature and never get a chance to actually run.
And the ABS likes to not work, easy to reset the computer though if it's not actually faulty.
____________________
Current: '03 Tuono RSV1000, '05 Van Van, '91 Zephyr 550
Previous: Multistrada 620,Bandit 600,Kawsaki ER-5, BMW K-75
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tiff
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of K100's and a K1100. Quite different to usual Jap bikes and you'll either love 'em or hate 'em. They take a good few hundred miles to "get" them either way so a couple of miles on a test ride won't help. K100's and sometimes K11's can be vibey..even give ou dead arms after some miles.Decent one's aren't that cheap either. Beautiful pearl white K100 16v for sale near here and I WANT

Clutch is a big job and not cheap - best to replace everything while you are in there- had to do mine last year on the K11..greasing is important..

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/tiffx19/LTclutchchange.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/tiffx19/LTgearbox.jpg
____________________
1996 Kawasaki GPZ1100s,1996 VFR750,1980 BMW R80,1982 Kwak Z250B,1992 ZZR1100C,1996 BMW K1100LT,1994 Kwak ZZR600E,1993 BMW R1100RS,1992 ZZR 600D,1988 BMW K100LT,1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650,1994 Suzuki RF900,1991 Yamaha XJ600, 1988 Honda Dominator,1992 Kwak KMX125,1987 Yamaha RD50MX,1984 Honda MBX50.1984 Honda Superdream 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 66.09 Kb