Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OT - System restore disks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:00 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: OT - System restore disks Reply with quote

Right, I've been infected with both Spy and Malware and no matter what I do I cannot get rid of them. I've used Adaware and Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro but they are still there. Adaware keeps detecting them, deletes them but they reappear again and Norton finds them and can't delete them at all.

I've backed up the files that I need and have tried to reformat via the system restore discs. I've just put disc one in and restarted and it doesn't boot from the cd drive, it's as if it is by passing it.

Ca anyone help me out as I am getting more and more pissed off with fucking pop-ups and the knowledge that my trusty laptop has a disease!

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:43 - 26 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that it is a bootable CD? Should be though if it is a restore CD. Have you changed the boot order in the BIOS to CD ROM first. Does it spin when it boots up. If so it just sounds as though it is the boot order.

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:06 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, thanks for the reply, how easy is it to change the boot sequence? I've seen the screen today but can't remember where.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:13 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried spybot search and destroy?
Are all the programs updated? have you run them in safe mode to remove the malicious files?
If you have the name of the particular files, you can search google for info on removing them, usually comes up good for me.
I always prefer to remove them that way before I format.
But if you are intent on formating/have tried the above, fair enough, probably easier.

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:17 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it in safe mode most of this afternoon but although Norton finds them and supplies a full path name when i go in manually to try find it I can't find it. It is as if it is cloaking itself somehow. It's changed my homepage and the boot sequence, the latter I don't know how to change.

one1895
I liked BCF so much I made my own copy

PostPosted: 00:50 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattastic wrote:
Simon, thanks for the reply, how easy is it to change the boot sequence? I've seen the screen today but can't remember where.

You usually enter it by pressing 'delete' as the comps loading up. It should state what you have to press.

RSixer03
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:59 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it bring up an error in windows?......or do you no the name of the spyware you got?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarsBar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 27 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Have you tried spybot search and destroy?

Try this first it will save you alot of hassel! It works for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1